SaltCritters.com

mkregs Biocube29

mkregs

If you are doing fine w/o it, why go to the trouble of adding one?

I actually do have some macroalgae in the second tier of my media basket...it's been in there for a few weeks. My parameters are great, but I'm not sure if the presence of macroalgae is contributing to that or if my results would have been the same without it.

Do you have a firm purpose for it in mind?

Basically, nutrient export. I'm not making an argument that my live rock, substrate, and filter media can't handle that alone as I know that it would....just more of an added level of security.

Thanks for your comments and for the advice re: Caulerpa. Much appreciated!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an empty spot in the upper left side or my tank that is in need of a frag...I would like to place a nice RED coral there that is maybe a little smaller than my frogspawn. It would get pretty good lighting as it's in the upper 1/3 of the tank. Keep in mind, I have stock BC29 lighting, so it would have to be something that would work well with that. My frogspawn and couple of acan frags I bought are doing pretty well, if that helps with your ideas for me.

Thanks in advance...also, pics would be appreciated.

looks like you are off to a great start you tank is looking great! I love the mp 20 and no i didnt get the battery backup pack, I didn't feel like i needed it. but i do feel like the increase flow is amazing and your corals will love it! Thanks for the nice comments about my tank and i'll keep posted for updates on yours!

Love these, I want to have a zoa/shroom hill on the left side of my wank. Love frog spawn too.

Thanks Ben. The frogspawn is my favorite coral that I've put in so far. I would definitely recommend adding one to your tank.

Yeah, I think I want FS and Hammer along the shelf on the left and two rics (blue & red) at the front right. FS is sweet, and yours looks great.

I spent a little quality time at the LFS..well, it's really a place that has an incredible amount of coral and also sells fish. Of coarse, I couldn't come out empty handed. So, I picked up a couple frags (zoa frag and purple and pink ricordea....No luck finding a red monti cap, so I'll keep looking. I just have one more zoa frag that I want and then my zoa garden will be complete. The L-coral-S had some wicked blue zoa frags, but they aren't for sale as they are growing them. I'll post picks of the new frags when they get used to the tank and open up a bit.

Oh, I had a boxing crab sighting this weekend. He crawled out of a hole in the rock and then quickly crawled back in. At least he's still alive! Maybe I'll get another quick look at him in another 2 weeks. :)

Sounds sweet, I can't wait to see the rics. I don't think my LFS sells any frags. I only see large zoa colonies there. Usually in the $40 range. I wish they did some business on the smaller end. Hard to put large pieces all over an existing scape.

Hi--I've really enjoyed this thread, and I appreciate your efforts to get the most out of your BC 29. I purchased my first tank (used BC 29) on Saturday (2/28), so reading about your mods (and those of the other people who have posted here), has been very helpful as I have very little experience with reef aquaria.

I've posted a request for advice in another thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=new+biocube+29

However, I haven't received many comments there, so I thought I'd ask a few questions here.

I have a 200W stealth heater that I plan to put in chamber 1 (after I pop out the false floor). Does anyone have a mod suggestion for placing filter media in the same chamber? I'm wondering what filter media I should use (Chemi-pur elite, PhosBan?) and how/where to place it. I received 14 unused stock BC 29 filters, but I'm assuming that they are junk.

I purchased an CPR SR3 skimmer that fits very well in chamber 2, but it doesn't leave room for anything else. Does anyone have experience with these in the BC 29? After finding this site, I'm tempted to return it and order StevieT's mods (although returning it would require a 7 hr round trip--I'm living in remote SE Idaho with PetCo as my only LFS :angry: )!

I REALLY like the idea of modifying chamber three for macroalgae. It seems like such an underused space with just the pump. I also noticed that some of you place phosphate remover in (the stock sponge) area of chamber 3. In what kind of container do you keep the media (I'm assuming some sort of bag)? Could I effectively mix chemi-pur with a phosphate remover and put it in the same place?

BTW, all of your tanks look great. I hope for similar success. I hope to begin cycling tonight. By the way, did you guys cycle with the lights on or off? I plan to take some live sand from an established 125G (university tank). Should I place that sand below, above, or mixed in with the "dead" sand that I plan to introduce?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks very much for your advice.

Btw, I lived in Ann Arbor while working on a degree at U. Michigan. I miss SE Michigan (and speaking of Wolverines, someone accidentally trapped a live one in my neighborhood last month)!

Hi--I've really enjoyed this thread, and I appreciate your efforts to get the most out of your BC 29.

I've posted a request for advice in another thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=new+biocube+29

However, I haven't received many comments there, so I thought I'd ask a few questions here.

Btw, I lived in Ann Arbor while working on a degree at U. Michigan. I miss SE Michigan (and speaking of Wolverines, someone accidentally trapped a live one in my neighborhood last month)!

Thanks for your nice comments. I looked at your thread last night. I'm sorry that you haven't had much response to your thread. I'll get over there today and give you my 2 cents.

Go Maize and Blue!

A couple nights ago, I added a red/purple monti cap to my tank. Thanks to Mr. Fosi for his recommendation to consider a monti for my tank. I placed it in the upper left section of the tank to ensure it gets plenty of light under my stock BC29 lighting. I liked where Colgan10 had his monti cap in his tank, so I kind of borrowed the idea there. It's approx the size of a quarter, so it will be fun to watch it grow.

So, I plan on adding one more zoa frag (looking for an insane blue colored variety) and maybe a couple more ric polyps...then I'll see how things grow in. Of coarse, I say 2~3 more frags will complete me, but coral is so frickin addictive.

Also, I need to get off my a$$ and take a few pics of newer additions and post them so I can track growth.

Looking good. Nice frog!!!

Thanks Henry! That frog is crazy. It seems bigger every time I look at it. It looks like it's starting 3 new branches on the back.

Thanks Henry! That frog is crazy. It seems bigger every time I look at it. It looks like it's starting 3 new branches on the back.

Oh yeah under the right conditions they will grow quickly and you will be fragging it before you know it.

Here are some pics of the newer additions. I haven't decided on final placement for the acans yet, but they seem to be doing well.

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

Archived