Coral Vue Hydros

mkregs Biocube29

mkregs

I'm new to the whole forums thing so I haven't posted a thread. I found out to that the first sign of life in the tank that hitchhiked in on the live rock is Aptasia. I thought I might have been wrong when I went to the LFS and it was in just about every one of their tanks, but the guy I talked to said that what they had was aptasia too!? He told me I could get this stuff called Jo's Juice to inject it or I coulde carefully remove it with a tooth brush. I'm trying the toothbrush method if I can get the little bugger to come out of his nook! Thanks

Well, let me know when you decide to get your tank thread posted...I'll stop by and read up.

Good luck with your hitchhiker. You'll hear/read a number of proposed solutions to that problem. Injections of Joe's Juice or white vinegar would be one and of coarse the addition of a Peppermint Shrimp would be another. In your case, please don't add livestock to your tank before it is cycled. Some people cycle with livestock, but that is an irresponsible practice IMO. I'm not meaning to start a fight with my last statement...but hey, this is my tank thread, so I can voice my opinion. I"m not sure that the toothbrush method will work for you, but you might as well give it a shot.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the Clownfish...When I bought the Percula, I made sure he was considerably smaller than the Ocellaris. At first, the Perc was submissive, which is what I had hoped for. For days, they never were further than a few inches apart. Then the Perc started to fight back. That's when they stopped hanging around together. The more the Perc fought back, the more the Oscellaris went after him. I knew that could only end in disaster. I didn't want to have to take the Oscellaris out, but had to choose between the two and I was definitely not going to give up the Perc. So, there you have it.

Here are a few pics...again, excuse the crappy shots as I still haven't had time to read up on photography.

My new addition...Purple Firefish

DSC00159.jpg

My Frogspawn (which seems to be getting bigger every time I look at it. Picture sucks as this thing really looks electric.

DSC00153-1.jpg

My Zoa garden...still looking for blue Zoas to add to it.

DSC00154.jpg

Looks good, look for tubbs blues or blueberries, and also some red would look great, IMO!

Thanks for the advice on the blues! I added a couple Aussie Acan frags yesterday and intentionally picked some red. I also have my eye on a red ricodea frag. I'm also trying to talk my LFS into fragging a few polyps of a red paly he has.

I had stated previously in my tank thread that I was considering a mod for a fuge. I have to say that the thought crossed my mind to build a 10gal sump and set it up in the stand. But, I really want to stick with the AIO concept (otherwise, I would have bought another tank w/o rear chambers).

Recap of my setup in the rear chambers:

Chamber 1: False floor removed...Stealth Heater installed.

Chamber 2: inTank media basket (floss/macroalgae/regular ChemiPure) and Tunze skimmer.

Chamber 3: Pura PhosLock and MJ1200 return pump.

I would like to get more macroalgae volume in my system. I have a couple sprigs of Halimeda slowly growing on a piece of LR in my display, but want more volume of macroalgae in the rear chambers. It would be great if I could have gained that volume in chamber 2, but I'm not going to remove the skimmer or the media rack. So, if I want this, I need to design another mousetrap.

My first thought....was to split chamber 1 diagonally with an acrylic wall and place the heater on one side and the macroalgae on the other side.

I consulted with a nano cube mod expert who said it was a good idea, but it would be cool if I could figure out how to use chamber 3 as a fuge with the challenge being to keep the greens out of the return pump. So, I've been thinking about this for several days and have decided to try the following:

FugePlan.jpg

1. Cut a piece of acrylic that will fit snugly within the width (front to back) of chamber 3.

2. Drill a hole in the new acrylic wall for the pump intake (hole will be drilled a little larger than the pump intake as I'll most likely install a rubber grommet to help minimize vibration).

Of coarse the acrylic wall will have small holes drilled into it to allow for flow from the fuge area to the return area. The pump should hold the wall in place, but I'm also considering cutting a slot in my inTank Fish Guard to help hold the wall at the top. I realize this will void my inTank warranty for that part, but I might just have to take that risk :) .

At this point, this is just an idea that I have thought about and put a quick diagram together. I haven't actually collected the materials and started to make it yet. I was hoping to get some feedback from the NR community (positive or negative please).

I will say that if you don't have a skimmer in chamber 2 and want a rack for media and a rack for a fuge, look into the inTank products as they are high quality and you will have ample volume for macroalgae using the inTank config. I'm forced to look into designing something different for a fuge as I have a media basket and a skimmer in Chamber 2 and am not willing to part with either.

Comments please...

-What are you going to do for lighting the fuge?

- Macroalgae= Cheato?...or are you going to use something else?

- What are you using to keep your pump down right now, and after your mod?

I'm using the sucktion cups that come with the pump, and they don't realy hold it in place all that well.

-What are you going to do for lighting the fuge?

- Macroalgae= Cheato?...or are you going to use something else?

- What are you using to keep your pump down right now, and after your mod?

I'll be using the same lights I already have (10watt submersible).

Right now I have Chaeto and Caulerpa in my media basket. Both will move to the fuge.

Keeping the pump down? I'm not sure what you mean. I have nothing holding the pump down now. It just sits at the bottom of the chamber 3 sump.

You could put your heater in chamber 3 (I have mine there) which would you give you more room in chamber 1 to add your macro. At some point I am going to be building some kind of media rack in chamber 1 for various things.

-AJ

You could put your heater in chamber 3 (I have mine there) which would you give you more room in chamber 1 to add your macro. At some point I am going to be building some kind of media rack in chamber 1 for various things.

-AJ

Can't put my heater in Chamber 3. I have a 250w Stealth and don't think I can get it fully submerged in that chamber. I have to keep the water level the way it is in chambers 2 and 3 due to having a Tunze skimmer.(note: I didn't specifically buy a 250w heater for my BC29...it's in my tank as it's hard to turn down something that's free).

Thanks for the comments.

Here is a drawing of my rear chambers if it will give you any ideas at all.

backchambers-1.jpg

Looks like a nice config, but I'm not going to change my chamber 2 config as I want my Tunze and media basket there.

Thanks though!

I'll be using the same lights I already have (10watt submersible).

Right now I have Chaeto and Caulerpa in my media basket. Both will move to the fuge.

Keeping the pump down? I'm not sure what you mean. I have nothing holding the pump down now. It just sits at the bottom of the chamber 3 sump.

I see , I removed the elbow from my return line, so it doesn't site right, I have to keep it down with something.

Steve,

Thanks for the input! When I had my reef tank some years ago, I didn't use macroalgae either and the tank was healthy. However, I do believe there are benefits to having a fuge area. I actually plan on running chambers 1 and 2 in the same way you suggest in your diagram...just with the possible addition in the 3rd chamber.

All,

If I do decide to use chamber 3 for a fuge, I'm still looking for opinions on whether or not you believe this design will work...

FugePlan.jpg

If I do decide to use chamber 3 for a fuge, I'm still looking for opinions on whether or not you believe this design will work...

What are the possible points of failure? Not enough water intake & macro in the pump, am I missing any?

What are the possible points of failure? Not enough water intake & macro in the pump, am I missing any?

That's all I could come up with as well. However, enough holes in the acrylic wall and those holes being small enough to allow water to pass while keeping macroalgae contained...should do the trick in theory.

Thanks for your comments! Fuge or no fuge in your opinion?

You don't like the soap dish idea?

Thanks, but I'm looking for a very functional and clean looking mod. I'm not sure the "soap dish" approach will get me there. I do appreciate your input though.

If you are doing fine w/o it, why go to the trouble of adding one? It'll help removed dissolved stuff that the skimmer can't touch but if you don't have symptoms of nutrient enrichment I'm not sure if you would see a tangible benefit.

A person could suggest that you use it to mediate your diel pH swings but I bet your skimmer is already doing that. Some may suggest that you could end up with more pods and this is a possibility but I don't know if you would see a noticeable difference.

It's not as if you'll be keeping decorative macroalgaes in your fuge or using it to house animals that aren't suitable for the display.

Do you have a firm purpose for it in mind?

Also, I'd be especially leery of using any of the caulerpa species in any part of my system... I've seen too many tanks overrun by them.

Archived