Cultivated Reef

mkregs Biocube29

mkregs

I've seen a post, about someone making a PVC home under the sand, with a barnical as the entrance. I think he had a jawfish, but i wonder if it would work with a Goby!

Are you going 2 get a pistol shrimp for him?

I was considering getting a pistol shrimp, but have been concentrating more on corals lately. I guess I should get him a buddy though.

Here's a pic of the tank that I took today:

post-41452-1234731199_thumb.jpg

The latest addition was Friday night I added a nice Frogspawn coral (upper right on picture).

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot! I am happy to be back into it. It's been a lot of fun.

I'm sure everybody says this, but it really looks better in person. I have a decent camera, but don't have the skills when it comes to manually setting it to take the best shots. The colors in the tank are much more vibrant than the pictures show...even under stock lighting.

I realize that I won't be able to keep some of the more-photosynthetic corals with BC29 stock lighting. That was the reason I placed the frogspawn in the upper part of the tank. I have heard that frogspawn can do well under PC lighting, so I decided to give it a shot as they are pretty cool looking corals.

Some day, I'll figure out how to use my camera and get some better pics posted.

Good stuff, I don't know how you take your pic's, but i read that if you turn off your power heads, and put the cam on a tripod it works well. Set your cam up infront of your tank aimed at what ever you want to shoot, then push the timer button. I tryed it with my last pic's, and it seems to work. The only problem that I had was lights on in the room that turn up as a reflection on the glass. I should have known better, but i was trying to rush the shots before the lights in the tank turned off.

One of these days...when I'm not busy working, running my kids around, tinkering with my tank and hanging out at my LFS, I'll read up on photography.

I want to eventually be able to get some good shots with the actinic blues and moonlights on alone as those make the colors pop. I just can't seem to capture the color I'm seeing on the camera.

So, I'm considering removing my Sally Lightfoot and going with either a strawberry crab or an emerald...any opinions on either would be welcome.

I hear if you remove all your water, it's easy to take pictures...lol...I don't have any crabs, :huh: other than the one or two that came as hitchhikers, and when i catch them.....Oh boy, watch out!

Nosey,

Of coarse I'm kidding. I'd better be nice to you as you're the only one that takes the time to comment on my tank thread.

It's ok though, as I am using this as more of a journal than anything, so I can remember when things are added/changed with pics of what the tank looked like throughout time.

I added a peppermint shrimp to the tank last night. I have an aiptaisia sprouting out that I'm hoping the lil dude will dispose of.

A few days ago, I added 3 more turbo snails.

So, my CUC stocking list is now:

6 Mexican Turbo Snails, 6 Nassarius Snails, 1 Sally Lightfoot Crab, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, and 1 Peppermint Shrimp.

I'm still thinking about swapping out Sally for an Emerald Crab. I was @ my LFS last night and saw a tiny Boxing Crab. He was so cool that I might have to have him.

Nosey,

Of coarse I'm kidding. I'd better be nice to you as you're the only one that takes the time to comment on my tank thread.

It's ok though, as I am using this as more of a journal than anything, so I can remember when things are added/changed with pics of what the tank looked like throughout time.

That's funny, becuase thats the same thing im doing, it's a good way of keeping track, of what you did, and when. I realy never have anyone either, you and some times Ando...lol.....Oh ya I think we turned him to the Tunze! ;)

Nosey,

I'll comment on yours if you comment on mine...

The tank looks great. I wish I could keep my sand looking that clean. Stupid cyano that I can't get rid of.

Did you change your mind about the pistol shrimp? I have one in my work tank that I never see, though I hear him alot.

I realy never have anyone either, you and some times Ando...lol.....Oh ya I think we turned him to the Tunze! ;)

It was just a matter of time before his journey to the dark side became complete. post-41452-1234886695.jpg

So, I pulled the Sally Lightfoot last night. It was a big PITA getting him out as there are too many places for him to hide in my tank. I had to move all my rock around to catch him. Of coarse it's hard to put things back exactly as it was, so I did a little rescaping...nothing drastic, but I actually like it better the way it is now.

I went to my LFS and traded Sally in towards a small emerald crab. I decided to get the boxing crab as well. The emerald went to work on the rocks immediately, but the boxing crab found a place to hide and I haven't seen him since. Eventually, I see him out in the open and get a pic of him.

Any pic's???? Also i just realised that you’re not using photobucket to resize your pictures. In my first forum I didn’t resize my pic’s, and I ran out of space fast, so I had to make a new thread. Try www.photobucket.com, or just google it!

I have a couple of questions for you. Did you have to mod anything to get the maxi jet 1200 to work? I'm getting ready to make a purchase and try to decide on the MJ 1200 or the Rio HF6. Also, trying to decide on the koralia nano or 1. Did you take the false floor out of your 1st chamber? If so how hard is that and what is the best way to do it.

Thanks Again,

Chris

I always like the Rio 6hf for a replacement. My BC29 is two years old now and am on the second one because I screwed up the first one taking it apart to clean it. My Fault. My Bad.

Maxi-Jet 1200

• V/Hz: 120V/60Hz

• Wattage: 20W

• Max Flow: 295gph

• Max Pumping Height: 69"

• Dimensions: 3.5" L x 2" W x 3.25" H

Rio 6HF

• V/Hz: 120V/60Hz

• Wattage: 15W

• Max Flow: 350gph

• Max Pumping Height: 72"

• Dimensions: 3.9" L x 2" W x 2.5" H

I have a couple of questions for you. Did you have to mod anything to get the maxi jet 1200 to work? I'm getting ready to make a purchase and try to decide on the MJ 1200 or the Rio HF6. Also, trying to decide on the koralia nano or 1. Did you take the false floor out of your 1st chamber? If so how hard is that and what is the best way to do it.

Thanks Again,

Chris

I didn't have to choose between the rio and the mj1200. The fact that my brother had a mj1200 laying around unused and the fact it was free made my decision for me. It's actually a really good pump.

My advice on the Koralia would be to get the K1 instead of the nano. I use two K1s in mine.

I did pop out the false floor in chambers 1 and 2. I just put downward pressure on it and worked one corner at a time.

Good luck on your tank. It looks great to me and seems like you know what your doing. I just got my first tank yesterday and set it up with the live rock (a BC 29). great reading your thread!

Good luck on your tank. It looks great to me and seems like you know what your doing. I just got my first tank yesterday and set it up with the live rock (a BC 29). great reading your thread!

Thanks! Good luck with yours as well. Do you have a tank thread? If so, please provide the link and I will stop by and read up on what you're doing.

Right on!..... I only have one thing to say, and that's " This poka is pumping!"

:lol:

So, I decided to pull my Ocellaris Clown out as she continued to beat up on my Percula Clown. They were getting along great for a while, but all of a sudden the larger Ocellaris started to trash on the other. So, I pulled her out Friday night and traded her in towards a Purple Firefish. While the Firefish is a great addition that I have wanted, I will miss the Clownfish:(. Now, I have 3 fish (1 Percula Clown, 1 Yellow Watchman Goby, and 1 Purple Firefish). I am planning on adding only 1 more fish which my Daughter will choose. My Son's fish is the Yellow Watchman Goby. For those of you that may read this and are looking for stocking ideas, consider one of those. They are really cool fish.

I think I'm set for inverts for now. I haven't lost any of them yet and it seems like there's a pretty good balance of food for the amount of inverts in my tank. I still have 6 Nassarius Snails, 6 Mexican Turbo Snails, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Emerald Crab, and 1 Boxing Crab.

Also, I want to get a pic or two of my Boxing Crab, but I don't see him very often. He made a brief appearance Saturday, but quickly climbed back into his rock. I'm ok with that as he is worth having even if he's a little reclusive.

Same thing is happening with my clowns right now, and I might have to do the same thing. I do like my male better, so if anything the girl will take a ride back to the shop, it's probable best that way. I placed a drinking glass in the tank about two weeks ago, to take some water out, and i found that she likes to swim right in.....Score......

Thanks! Good luck with yours as well. Do you have a tank thread? If so, please provide the link and I will stop by and read up on what you're doing.

:lol:

I'm new to the whole forums thing so I haven't posted a thread. I found out to that the first sign of life in the tank that hitchhiked in on the live rock is Aptasia. I thought I might have been wrong when I went to the LFS and it was in just about every one of their tanks, but the guy I talked to said that what they had was aptasia too!? He told me I could get this stuff called Jo's Juice to inject it or I coulde carefully remove it with a tooth brush. I'm trying the toothbrush method if I can get the little bugger to come out of his nook! Thanks

Archived