Innovative Marine Aquariums

LED MeanWell power supply?

zingtaw

While I don't necessarily think it's wrong, it is another way to do it. I actually ended up building my version the same way as the one you linked to (I couldn't find the link to my original). I have built that one that I linked to earlier and it worked. The square wave output wasn't as tight though.

Hi evilc66,

Do have any PWM circuit which can controller the dimmer dim down and off at a specify time?

Thanks.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could do it with just timers, but you will be constantly be playing with it to get the right delays. The best way to do it is to have a microcontroller deal with the timing, but thats a lot harder to impliment.

Another option is to get one of the reef controllers like the Profilux, Reefkeeper, or Aquacontroller. Most of these have 0-10v outputs that can be programmed to ramp up and ramp down. Not cheap though. The Reef Keeper Lite that is about to come out could be the most affordable way to do this.

You could do it with just timers, but you will be constantly be playing with it to get the right delays. The best way to do it is to have a microcontroller deal with the timing, but thats a lot harder to impliment.

Another option is to get one of the reef controllers like the Profilux, Reefkeeper, or Aquacontroller. Most of these have 0-10v outputs that can be programmed to ramp up and ramp down. Not cheap though. The Reef Keeper Lite that is about to come out could be the most affordable way to do this.

Wow...all controllers you mentioned are expensive..although Reefkeefer is the cheaper but close to US500 lol :o !

Any alternative way beside buying from off the shelf controller :D ?

The Reef Keeper Lite is only starting at $150

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~cat...y~FITEMOMI.html

There are lots of alternatives to off the shelf parts, but it's a lot more work. There are some nice developement boards out now that are cheap and powerful.

I have the ReefKeeper Elite and it is a pretty cool controller. I think for ramp up/down for LED's though you would need to add the Advanced Light Controller (95 bucks) and then connect to the module the way Aquailluminations connects via serial port, (I'm not sure how that can be done though...). Also, the ReefKeeper Lite is limited in the modules you can connect to it, and the ALC is not one of the modules you can connect to the Lite version.

Here's a link to the full skinny on the RKE Lite,

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/m_product_i...ber=30-0012-001

I ordered both versions of the ELN60-48 today. Should see them late next week.

SWEET!

Did they rape you on the $$$? Did they indicate any chance for a bulk rate discount?

The price for the single dimmable was a little high, and there is quantity discounts. All versions have the same pricing, but there is a difference between the 30W and 60W versions. I didn't get quotes on the 30W version. Didn't seem worth it, and only a few dollars difference on the standard non-dimmable versions. This is what I was quoted:

1-5 $50.47

6-10 $35.54

11-20 $33.00

21-50 $29.75

There was no indication as to what the limit was on the hand modified units coming out of California before they had to move the order out to the factory in Asia. If it's out of California, turnaround time is about a week. It's 10-12 weeks out of Asia :angry:

I'm sure if we do a group buy on this we can get in to the $35 range without too much difficulty. I still want to see the differences on the drivers to see if we can mod the non-dimmables for a reasonable cost.

The price for the single dimmable was a little high, and there is quantity discounts. All versions have the same pricing, but there is a difference between the 30W and 60W versions. I didn't get quotes on the 30W version. Didn't seem worth it, and only a few dollars difference on the standard non-dimmable versions. This is what I was quoted:

1-5 $50.47

6-10 $35.54

11-20 $33.00

21-50 $29.75

There was no indication as to what the limit was on the hand modified units coming out of California before they had to move the order out to the factory in Asia. If it's out of California, turnaround time is about a week. It's 10-12 weeks out of Asia :angry:

I'm sure if we do a group buy on this we can get in to the $35 range without too much difficulty. I still want to see the differences on the drivers to see if we can mod the non-dimmables for a reasonable cost.

If I'm wrong, the PS come from Taiwan and mod will done at Taiwan too before shipping out. For US, the lead time of delivery will be abit long compare to Asia :o .

Meanwell USA is hand modifying them to cut down the lead time. I just don't know how many I have to order before they tell me I have to get them from the factory.

If I'm wrong, the PS come from Taiwan and mod will done at Taiwan too before shipping out. For US, the lead time of delivery will be abit long compare to Asia :o .

I think is from China.

Not from Taiwan

1-5 $50.47

6-10 $35.54

11-20 $33.00

21-50 $29.75

I wonder what kind of bulk discount they offer on the non-dimmable drivers. If it is anything like the dimmable versions and if they are easy to modify this could take a major cost out of building arrays (especially larger ones.) Hopefully when evilc66 gets the dimmable versions he will crack them open and find that the standard versions are just missing a few components that need to be soldered in to make them dimmable.

thelovablebum

Yes, I too am keeping my fingers crossed on this. I'm holding out on my plans and waiting to hear about this. If we can get the dimmable ones for cheap I will definitely be down for two.

Powergate replied with the following quote for ELN-60 non-dimmable versions:

ELN-60 series 1-24 pcs $31.90 each

25-99 pcs $29.08 each

LEAD TIME: Stock to 8 weeks

Not much better then the volume discounts on the dimmables.

Right, but you would always be able to get the non-dimmable quicker. It will be a much faster solution if they can be modified easily.

Archived