470 ohm Resistor x 1

3.3K ohm Resistor x 1

PCB x 1 (I'll leave size up to you)

Wire

Top side

PWMTOP.jpg

Botom side

PWMBOTTOM.jpg

All parts are available from Radioshack. I made sure of that. You can also get all these parts online at places like Digikey and Mouser for a lot cheaper, especially if you have to build multiple. If you really want to get adventurous, you could build this using a 556 timer for dual control in the same chip. This is what I will probably end up using. I'll post pics for anyone interested when I get it done.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I meant what is the point of the whole thing? Is this a driver? Are you guys trying to replace buckpucks? If so how many LEDs do you think you can run in a string? How many of these could you power off of one 32v converter?

Ok, "Evilnotes" version, just for you Marteen.

Buckpucks don't seem to be capable of what they advertize. They seem to be inconsistent beyond 6 LEDs, with some having luck (myself included) and some blowing pucks left and right. So the search was on....

Zingtaw was kind enough to point us to a Meanwell power supply that he thought might work, but wanted to get our opinion. To cut a long story short, it's a line voltage supply (no DC power supply needed) with two models that can support 30 or 60 watts, with different max voltage models. They are capable of dimming, but you have to jump through hoops to do it. The circuit I posted earlier is one of the ways to accomplish dimming control.

Are you saying I can't buy the cliffnotes version? :happy:

Edit: Evil, you beat me this time.

Cliff notes?!? You're in LED gradschool now, there's no such thing as cliff notes :lol:

Thanks Evil for the quick work.

This looks straight forward. I'm interested in a 556. When you have some pictures of that, could you send me some via email? I hate viewing pictures (esp. ones with detail) in a thread like this and would rather download them an view in something else. I can PM you my email when you are ready.

Thanks Evil! :P

hmmm... well it would figure something like this would go up the day after I ordered my buckpucks. Oh well let's hope they work. Any idea what the potential for this would be? I'm thinking of really large arrays that before we were talking about having to use like 12 buckpucks with multiple PS. If this works how big of an array do you think it could support?

npain-

LED gradschool! I just wanted to go to technical college!

Thanks Evil! :P

hmmm... well it would figure something like this would go up the day after I ordered my buckpucks. Oh well let's hope they work. Any idea what the potential for this would be? I'm thinking of really large arrays that before we were talking about having to use like 12 buckpucks with multiple PS. If this works how big of an array do you think it could support?

npain-

LED gradschool! I just wanted to go to technical college!

It depends on what drive current you want to run the LEDs at. The example in the datasheet for the ELN-60 shows a driver running 24 LEDs (6x4) at 600-700mA. If you want to run at 1000mA, it would drop to 12 LEDs. The 48v version could run 13 LEDs in series, or 26 (13x2) at just under 700mA.

You will be fine with the Buckpucks for the setup you are running, and they are less hassle to get them to do what you want. Plus, they are tiny compared to this thing (8" long). This driver is a good second solution, and great for those of us running big arrays.

Hopefully I'll get an answer back from Powergate tomorrow. Heh, I'll get one one way or another. I can be persistent/irritating when I want to.

This thread is unfolding nicely. I'm definitely excited to see what kinds of LED arrays you guys create with these LED power supplies. Hopefully it helps to reduce the costs of setup on larger LED arrays... I have a 29 gallon now, but next year I would like to get (up to) a 90 gallon, so power (i.e. the ability to drive lots of LED's and be stable) and the ability to upgrade are important. pictures and schematics

These are looking pretty cool. If you can deal with only running the array at 700mA, you can start getting into some pretty big series-parallel arrays.

In my infinite wisdom last night, I forgot to add the wire that actually goes out to the driver for dimming. I will be adding the wire and taking pictures when I get home this afternoon. I will be testing the unit today though.

Test ran beautifully. Very smooth and linear transition from 0-100%. Only thing I saw was that you get to about 98/99% duty cycle before the end of the pot travel. Not a big deal, but something to note.

There was a very minor change to the layout of the pcb, but all it is is the movement of one end of the 10K ohm resistor, and adding the two wires to connect to the driver. I'll take fresh pictures when I get home and post them asap.

Test ran beautifully. Very smooth and linear transition from 0-100%. Only thing I saw was that you get to about 98/99% duty cycle before the end of the pot travel. Not a big deal, but something to note.

There was a very minor change to the layout of the pcb, but all it is is the movement of one end of the 10K ohm resistor, and adding the two wires to connect to the driver. I'll take fresh pictures when I get home and post them asap.

Cool. Any word from powergate?

Just got off the phone with Powergate. We could have a problem.

Turns out that Meanwell USA does not regularly stock the ELN30/60-XX-P (digital dimming control), but stocks tons of the standard, non-dimming versions. They were willing to modify the standard unit to accept dimming control, but wanted a 1-2 lead time (which I could deal with), and another $20 on top of the original price!!!! OMGWTFBBQ!!!! Powergate is looking into if the increase in cost is a one time deal for the modifications, or whether this is what the price will be all the time. Standard lead time on volume of the drivers with dimming is 10-12 weeks. If Powergate saw enough interest and demand, they would stock the units for us, but I'm sure they would need to see consistent sales to a certain volume to do that.

Hopefully I'll get a call back today or Monday to see if this is going to look a little better. If the driver works, I'm sure we could get a group buy together to get a bunch of these in, and maybe if there is sufficient volume, the lead time will shorten to something a little more practical.

Stay tuned.

In my infinite wisdom last night, I forgot to add the wire that actually goes out to the driver for dimming. I will be adding the wire and taking pictures when I get home this afternoon. I will be testing the unit today though.

Phew, I thought I was goin a little crazy there wondering why you only had main power wires to the PWM driver. I was like, "ummm where's the output?" I thought you made some kind of new mythical circuit :)

And what happens when you go over 98/99%? Does it fold over on itself and drop the drive way back down?

Archived