ReefCleaners.org

LED MeanWell power supply?

zingtaw

He used a microcontroller to do 5v PWM, which isn't compatible directly with the Meanwell drivers.

You will need to make a few decisions before commiting to which model Meanwell you want. First, are you going to want to control these with a controller of some description. If no, you can get either the "D" or "P" model. The "D" is a little easier to get running, but both will work fine for manual dimming. If you are going to control them, you need to decide with what method. If you are going to do your own controller based off of something like an Arduino, the "P" is a better choice for PWM dimming. If you are going to use an off the shelf controller like an Reefkeeper Lite/Elite or a Profilux, then the "D" is the best choice. There are ways and means to make any version work with any control scheme, but these are the easiest ways.

Thanks for the heads up on which model to choose Mate

It sounds like P is the way to go, considering the cost of everything. Is there any designs based on the Arduino that can be replicated at home?

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has been some work here on Arduino platforms, but because it is a relatively simple platform to program for, the sky is the limit. Go nuts, try it yourself.

If you are going to use a Meanwell "P" with an Arduino, you need to control the driver via a transistor feeding it 10v. The outputs of the Arduino are only 5v.

There has been some work here on Arduino platforms, but because it is a relatively simple platform to program for, the sky is the limit. Go nuts, try it yourself.

If you are going to use a Meanwell "P" with an Arduino, you need to control the driver via a transistor feeding it 10v. The outputs of the Arduino are only 5v.

Thank you Mate.

Im going to give it a go fingerscrossed

may i pm you with the final shopping list for approval?

okay so i'm having a dumba$$ moment

last night i completed the 555 timer circuit for the meanwell driver ( i just need to get a 10k resistor not a 10 resistor)

where does the the external 12v power gets connected to? and the red and black wiers goes to the dim wiers on the drivers correct?

many thanks evil for the pics of the circuit. it really wasn't too hard to make just time consuming because of all the quadruple checking i did before i soldered :D

:tears::tears::tears:

well i finished the dimming circuit and it was a major FAIL!

i plugged everything in to test it out and the test LED that i had on there did light up. however it did not dim. i then unplugged the external power supply needed and it still stayed lit. back to the old drawing board

Looks interesting. Hopefully it doesn't cost an arm and a leg considering that it will only support 5 LEDs at 1000mA. The dimming would be nice and simple if it really does have an internal 10v reference. Seems odd that it would for commercial lighting applications.

im having a hard time finding a place to order it from. i will continue to look but they are not located here in the usa either.

i was thinking to run my leds at a lower mA so that i can put more closer together without burning my corals and getting a much more uniform light coverage. this is going to be on a 24gal JBJ nano and since the leds are so low to the water surface too many leds at 1000mA will definitaly burn the corals but too few leds will look ugly.

Nope :) Should be finished soon. Trying to find the time to polish it off and get all the pretty pictures for you guys.

ok, i'm looking at options for downgrading and it is down to either finnex 9g or cadlights 12g. I would like to try to use LEDs for it but the cost cannot go above $350, maybe up to $400. From my recent 3 hour study yesterday on a lot of LED threads i'm going to go with 16 leds (7 white, 8 RB, 1 UV for SPS) which i hope is not too much or just right. The CAD tank which looks more appealing is 15x12x13.

now onto my question: Are these drivers/PS available (where?) and i seen the dimming circuit on page whatever but read the last couple pages and seen some things that i'm not sure about. I don't want a controller to control this (just on/off not dimming) but i do want a pot. Which one would i need.

Thanks!

hey all, was just wandering if its possible to just run this driver without worrying about dimming or "extra" wiring.. or do you still have to hook up something to the dimming wires to make it happy,

You can get these drivers without dimming options.

ok cool, scared me for a minute.. thought i would have wire up a little powereboard of some kind.. thanks evil,

• 2 weeks later...

Archived