Coral Vue Hydros

LED MeanWell power supply?

zingtaw

It will come, don't worry :)

The "P" version needs the 555/556 pwm circuit to dim. The "D" model needs the LM317/pot to dim. To use the "P" model on the ALC, you will need a slightly different circuit to convert 0-10v from the ALC to a pwm signal. I will have a circuit for you for that also, but a little later on. The 555/556 pwm circuit will be later this week once I get a chance to finish it (sorry Deep ;))

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im tired of waiting for Digital Aquatics to release the update to use the ALC with the RKL controller. i purchased the ALC months ago thinking it wouldnt be long for the update to be released. Its really annoying that it was promised and the promised date has come and gone. :angry:

I know the fealing. I am harrassing them both on these forums and theirs. It will be out soon, hopefully by my birthday in 19 days.

You can plug them straight into the "D"s, but the "P"s will need a little conversion circuit. It's actually easier to build than the pwm circuit.

thelovablebum
Was playing with my drivers today, seems the P model can be analog dimmed to a point.

What I did was hooked a 9v battery and a external Pot to the dimming circuit. Adjusted the internal Pot to 1000ma when the external is all the way up. With a 10K Pot the LED's will dim down to 210ma and with a 100K Pot they will dim down to 140ma then drop off about half of the pot range.

Anybody else try this, have any thoughts on it.

I have been running 2 drivers like this for a few days now and I am happy with the results. I also tested it on 2 other drivers and all drivers dimmed smoothly. I also tried hooking up a 5v power supply and it worked about the same but could only dim down to 220ma before it dropped off.

So u hooked up the 5V DC and it gives u the full intensity when the pot is at no dimming position? If that's the case, a 5V PWM should be able to dim it fully, maybe the Arduino board will work on the P.

I have been running 2 drivers like this for a few days now and I am happy with the results. I also tested it on 2 other drivers and all drivers dimmed smoothly. I also tried hooking up a 5v power supply and it worked about the same but could only dim down to 220ma before it dropped off.

Does anyone know if suffix P or D will work with the Reefkeeper ALM and how does it hook up to the ALM, the 0-10v inputs? If its that then how does the suffix P work because from reading it is PWM signal? All this electrical stuff is giving me headaches, thanks.

Jason

The "D" can be connected directly to the ALC. Just hook the DIM+ and DIM- wires to the connector on the ALC. The "P" model can also work, but with an additional converter circuit in between. It's simple to build and I will be posting details of the circuit soon.

Thanks evil, that was some fast reponse. What is the difference between PWM and analog 0-10v, is one better or is it about equal and what is your preference? How many LEDs do you recommend for a 55 gallon standard tank im planning to seperate the LEDS on 2 arrays and when I upgrade to a bigger tank I will just make add another array. Oh yeah sorry for such a long post but what do you guys think between MH vs LED because I was bored at work and was calculating the expense of bulds and cost of new MH setup vs LED for 10yrs and it seems like the difference isnt that much.

I have uploaded a vid of my Cree MC-E (752 lumen) LED being driven by the Meanwell ELN-60-24D @ 2.3A.

The dimming is done via the bench power supply in the bottom right corner.

What isn't obvious is that at 0V there is still some light emitted. I turned off the auto-exposure on the cam. The auto-exposure made the dimming effect hard to see.

It's two different methods for doing the exact same thing. 0-10v is a typical method for dimming residential and commercial lighting. Pwm is common for automated controls like what we do with Arduino microcontrollers.

You could light a 55g with about 60 LEDs (20x3) and 60 degree lenses. This will get you equivalent to about a 2x250W MH setup. Comparing power consumption, you are looking at ~222W vs. 500W. With an average of 10 hours of light per day at $0.15 per KWH, you are looking at $121.55 vs. $273.75 to run them for a year. Next, you will save $120-$200 per year on bulb replacements. You also potentially save on not running a chiller in both energy costs and the cost of the chiller itself. So even if you you don't factor in the chiller savings, you have potential costs to run the MH setup of $2273.75 for 10 years. The LED setup would cost $1215.50 to run over 10 years. Fixture costs can vary wildly depending on what you pick. You can go from the super cheap MH setups of about $300 to the high end $1000 setups. The LED fixture will cost about $750 to build, so you sit right in the middle of the MH fixture costs. The savings are there. It's not as dramatic as some companies drum it up to be, but when you factor in many of the features, it's still a great option.

Thanks evil, I never thought about that. I think it was the initial cost of LED thats made me think the savings would not be that big until later on in the years. Actually I was thinking about using 60 LEDs and about a 50:50 split between white and blue. I am abit confused about the meanwell drivers though, does that mean I need like 5 meanwells with 12 LEDs/driver? Like I know with the specs of the whites are 1000mah and the blues are like 700mah? How would I run the blues on the meanwells when the lowest I can adjust it is down to about 1000mah? Im not too familar with the difference between running LEDs in series and parallel.

Thanks evil, I never thought about that. I think it was the initial cost of LED thats made me think the savings would not be that big until later on in the years. Actually I was thinking about using 60 LEDs and about a 50:50 split between white and blue. I am abit confused about the meanwell drivers though, does that mean I need like 5 meanwells with 12 LEDs/driver? Like I know with the specs of the whites are 1000mah and the blues are like 700mah? How would I run the blues on the meanwells when the lowest I can adjust it is down to about 1000mah? Im not too familar with the difference between running LEDs in series and parallel.

if you get the crees, the blues and whites both run at 1000mA. the meanwells that we use can power upto 13 LEDs in series. so yes 5 drivers would do it. if you wanted to do a dawn/dusk effect or keep the colors separate so you can controll you color, you would need 6 drivers.

Thanks, can anyone explain to me what is the dfference betweetn running LEDs in series and parallel and what it does to volt and current ratings of a driver but in particular to the meanwells.

Thanks, can anyone explain to me what is the dfference betweetn running LEDs in series and parallel and what it does to volt and current ratings of a driver but in particular to the meanwells.

when you wire in series, the current is constant (amp) and the voltage varies or the voltage gets divided up by the number of objects.....that is why we use the constant current drivers

when you wire in parrallel. the current varies or in other words get divided by the number LEDs/strings and the voltage is constant. when using this type of wiring, you need a current mirror circuit to protect your LEDs. the current mirror protects your LEDs by dispersing the energy through out an array when one LED fails. without it you can burn up all of the LEDs if one decides to fail. very risky and lots and lots of extra wiring.

stick with series wiring for the LEDs, if one burns out, the driver will adjust for the remaing LEDs and no other damage to the good LEDs will occur, and a lot simpler wirind. to wire in series, you would start with the positive lead from your driver and connected to the positive on the LED. then from the negative of that LED to the positive of the other LED, then negative from that one to the positive of the next one. the repeats itself until the last one then the negative is connected to the negative of the driver to complete the loop

Thanks for the detail explaination, it was very helpful because im still in the planning stages of my project and looking to get everything down before I go buying things. Does anyone have any idea of any buckpucks that have 0-10v dimming?

Thanks for the detail explaination, it was very helpful because im still in the planning stages of my project and looking to get everything down before I go buying things. Does anyone have any idea of any buckpucks that have 0-10v dimming?

according to the specs, the buckpucks will take 0-10v dimming from a controller.

So, what's the trick to opening one of these up? I got mine from the group buy and was going to trim the internal pot down but was having troubles busting it up without breaking anything :)

thelovablebum
So, what's the trick to opening one of these up? I got mine from the group buy and was going to trim the internal pot down but was having troubles busting it up without breaking anything :)

If the clips are stuck try shifting the top to one side or the other.

Don't know if that helped but I had one that did not want to come apart so I had to pry at it and when the top shifted it came apart.

according to the specs, the buckpucks will take 0-10v dimming from a controller.

0-5 or 0-10? I was under the impression that it was 0-5... if it's 0-10 that sure changes my plans.

I think the meanwell drivers are 0-10v dimming. I am not sure but i think regular buckpucks are 0-5v or are there other buckpucks besides the meanwells that have 0-10v dimming?

Buckpucks will not successfully take 0-10v for dimming. Luxdrive does not recommend this at all (I had posted this in another thread specifically about this).

Archived