Coral Vue Hydros

Jeffry's Red Sea Max 130 (with videos!)

Jeffry83

I have always had a fresh water tank,at the moment i still have a 100 liters Amazone aquarium running (based on the fish and plants that live in the Amazone River).I always have liked the salt water aquariums,when i went with my parents to the local SeaLife i could spend hours looking.Since November last year i have been looking into salt water allot,looked around how and what,what kind of tanks,seeing i don't have allot of money to buy everything separate for the aquarium i ran across the "plug and play" Red Sea Max 130.In the middle of December i bought a Silver version.It came with the cabinet and the starters kit.

I have modified the tank by now to make allot quieter...The fans in the hood have been replaced with three smalle fans.You don't even hear them working!i bought the Scythe Mini-Kaze 14db.I also added a rubber o-ring to the circulation pumps (on the section that you stick in the holes of the glass).It reduced the noise by 80%!

I also did not use the standard skimmer,i bought the Tunze Nano DOC Skimmer 9002.Works perfectly and with Stevie's skimmer cup the hood can be closed!Only problem with the 9002 is that i got one with a defected motor,it makes a irritating buzzing noise and establishing contact with Tunze has resulted in zero result,even with help of the moderators at Reef Central.

I bought the live rocks on December 20,they where fresh off the plane.This entire week the Nitrite level was at zero,end next week i am planning to buy two hermit crabs to be the first (official) residents.I already have some small crabs that hitchhiked in the live rocks.Tried to grab the nasty ones but no luck yet.

post-41579-1232670970_thumb.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey wanted to say great idea on the o rings i want to do the same thing now to mine quick question if you dont mind did you put the o ring on the chamber wide or the tank side thanks

Hey wanted to say great idea on the o rings i want to do the same thing now to mine quick question if you dont mind did you put the o ring on the chamber wide or the tank side thanks

On the chamber side,the ring needs to be between the pump and glass,make sure you don't buy ones that are to 'fat'.Or you won't be able to fit the direction outlets on them properly.

Any luck with Tunze yet?

Where i have reported the webstore where i bought it from they said they are gonna contact the store,don't got much hope for it but i will see.

nice tank....get rid of the hair algae though....

The tank is a month old,it's just getting out of it's algea 'boom'.It's slowly dieing already,and within a week what is left will be removed by the Hermit Crabs.I am gonna get the Calcinus tricolor.

The tank is a month old,it's just getting out of it's algea 'boom'.It's slowly dieing already,and within a week what is left will be removed by the Hermit Crabs.I am gonna get the Calcinus tricolor.

the tricolor hermits are bad ass....they do some serious damage to anything that even looks like algae

good luck my friend.....more pics soon i hope.

the tricolor hermits are bad ass....they do some serious damage to anything that even looks like algae

good luck my friend.....more pics soon i hope.

That's why i am taking the Calcinus tricolor,the small ones.And i thought doing damage to anything that looks like algae is a good thing right?That's why i am taking them in the first place,to get rid of algae!

Finally,a response from Tunze!According to them they already had send me 2 e-mails but i never received them and i always check every e-mail i receive,even the spam e-mails,but i have to e-mail back with my full address and the bill of my purchase,i never received a official one but i added a picture of my online bank account with the purchase.They also said they would send a new motor my way if i send everything needed,but i think the housing of the Tunze is also not working properly so i asked if i can get a new housing as well,let's hope they do...

I thought i add picture in this post of my upgraded fans in the hood:

post-41579-1233078955_thumb.jpg

I think my Tunze is haunted :o ,as soon as i had send my email back to Tunze a few minutes later my Tunze starting to make a ratling noise and later it sounded like it was getting stuck....It's mad at me sending it away! B)

I think my Tunze is haunted :o ,as soon as i had send my email back to Tunze a few minutes later my Tunze starting to make a ratling noise and later it sounded like it was getting stuck....It's mad at me sending it away! B)

uh oh.... you activated the self destruct! :scarry:omgomgomg

Tough luck ,today i got a reply back that they would send me another motor,let's hope it will come through before the weekend so i can finally sleep without earplugs in. -_-

And today i found another hitchhiker that finally showed it's face, a small naked snail... :happy:

And within a hour i am gonna buy the blue legged hermits so they can trim my algae lawn. B)

Here they are,my first (official :happy: ) residents: two small Blue Legged Hermits,as soon as they where on the bottom they where eating away at the algae,if it's to big for them i will just remove it manually..

post-41579-1233159952_thumb.jpg

post-41579-1233159967_thumb.jpg

Looks like normal Algae from my view,it was one of the first ones to appear in the tank,and the little hermit did not made the trip, he already did not looked allright in the bag when i got home, i used the slow driplet method of adding my water to the bag.The big Hermit is walking around,exploring the tank and all. I got bad luck by getting the weak one,that's always the risk with live animals. :(

A little update:

Did a water test and everything is fine,for 3 days i have been blowing off all the crap that came of the rocks during the cycle with a small pump,now the tanks is clear as day!I removed the big layer of algae on the bottom of the tank because it was a bit to much for Mr.Hermit and i added a small layer of the substrate.And the hermit is becoming a night crawler!During the day he is no where to be seen but than when the lights go off and the moonlight turns on he comes from hiding and starts eating away at the algea!I am also planning to buy 2 more little hermits this Thursday.In one of the pictures the Hermit crab was thinking he was Spider-Man! :happy:

post-41579-1233635038_thumb.jpg

post-41579-1233635054_thumb.jpg

post-41579-1233635087_thumb.jpg

Update:bought two more little blue legs,i was also thinking of buying a little shrimp but i think i am gonna get a small easy coral first when i got my paycheck in on the 15th.

Hi Jeffrey. Greetings from another RSM owner in Holland.

Great looking tank, btw.

Where in holland are you?

I live in Zoetermeer,i am also on zeewaterforum.nl

A picture update

As you can see,the algae is slowly going away,mostly with the help of the hermits,but the tank is really going on well and on the background on the glass only the "roots" of the algae is showing.Gotta love the colors.The biggest hermit seems to like that piece of rock,he is sitting on it like a King on it's throne. B)

I also have discovered 2 tiny snails,one you can see on the picture,i also found one the same but completely white and with 3 spikes on it's back!

post-41579-1234237928_thumb.jpg

post-41579-1234238045_thumb.jpg

post-41579-1234238212_thumb.jpg

post-41579-1234238226_thumb.jpg

Archived