Pod Your Reef

My 12g, 30g, 34g, and 125g Tank Combo Thread !

bbales

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should do a water change to about 30-40% or 10% twice a week.

It looks like your RSM should bounce right back.

You should also add Purigen and filter floss

:slap: the roomate lol

I think that there is no harm done and with plenty of water changes your tank should be back on track..however do you test for calcium? and do you have any SPS reason I ask is that with regular water changes there really is no need to dose calcium unless the calcium is being depleted at an alarming rate

The mantis tank is awesome!

StevieT is your RSM mastah..you will learn alot about the RSM in his thread

You got a great deal on it!!

Maria

:slap: the roomate lol

I think that there is no harm done and with plenty of water changes your tank should be back on track..however do you test for calcium? and do you have any SPS reason I ask is that with regular water changes there really is no need to dose calcium unless the calcium is being depleted at an alarming rate

The mantis tank is awesome!

StevieT is your RSM mastah..you will learn alot about the RSM in his thread

You got a great deal on it!!

Maria

thanks! yea im going to up the water changes and no i dose calcium because my lfs said it could help with the issues, i know its good for crustaceans, so i figured id give it a try, and yeah i dont know where id be with out stevieT, haah that should def be my new signature hahah has a good rhyme. Thanks for the advice Maria!

You should do a water change to about 30-40% or 10% twice a week.

It looks like your RSM should bounce right back.

You should also add Purigen and filter floss

Ok awesome yea what added benefit is purigen? I do have the chemipure, I thought they did the same thing?

ximmortaldeathx
Ok awesome yea what added benefit is purigen? I do have the chemipure, I thought they did the same thing?

The purigen will clean that water way more than carbon, you will like the results big time, be careful, youll need a bad thin enough, they sell one called "the bag" ,

I like the smaller tank and the flat rock. I usually like my rocks higher up, but I kinda like that "island" look.

Also, you said that your fishstore has a chemical that gets rid of red slime? Can you post a picture of what it is? I've been battling a pretty hardcore case or it for the past few weeks and I've been doing 40% water changes weekly for 2 weeks and still no luck.

Thanks.

Potys, I think she's going to be using chemipure (I meant chemi clean) Sorry I was disoriented :huh: . That's what the LFS usually recommend.

Personally, I wouldn't use it, and I would just siphon the red slimes out. Overtime it should disappear once your coraline algae take over it.

Bbales, I just started using Purigen on my RSM as well. I put it in the middle of my media rack. Ever since I added the Purigen, I noticed that I have less algae and clearer water.

Potys, I think she's going to be using chemipure. That's what the LFS usually recommend.

Personally, I wouldn't use it, and I would just siphon the red slimes out. Overtime it should disappear once your coraline algae take over it.

Bbales, I just started using Purigen on my RSM as well. I put it in the middle of my media rack. Ever since I added the Purigen, I noticed that I have less algae and clearer water.

Yeah, I've been siphoning it out everday. I use RO water, have a 6 hour light cycle, feed every other day, and keep a pretty low bioload. I just turned my lights off completely today and will leave them off for a couple days to see if that doesnt get rid of them.

PS - Sorry for the hijack

The purigen will clean that water way more than carbon, you will like the results big time, be careful, youll need a bad thin enough, they sell one called "the bag" ,

haha okay thanks!

Potys, I think she's going to be using chemipure. That's what the LFS usually recommend.

thanks!

Yeah, I've been siphoning it out everday. I use RO water, have a 6 hour light cycle, feed every other day, and keep a pretty low bioload. I just turned my lights off completely today and will leave them off for a couple days to see if that doesnt get rid of them.

PS - Sorry for the hijack

no its helping me! so the blackout period won't harm anything? And would the shrooms suffer from shortening the light cycle to 6 hours? thanks for the help, and I dont know what the red slime chemical looks like but Ill let you know when and if I get it

THE RSM!

Scooter blenny <--- really happy go lucky, but always been a bit skinny, however pods are everywhere on the glass, and he seems to peck on everything.

I'd say unless you can train it to eat prepared food and/or it becomes less skinny, you should find a better home for this one. Or so I've been told.

I'd say unless you can train it to eat prepared food and/or it becomes less skinny, you should find a better home for this one. Or so I've been told.

yeah, well i just dont uderstand it I seeded the tank with copepods and they are everywhere, but yea he just doesn't eat frozen foods, He hasn't gotten any skinnier so hopefully he will start to gain some weight, otherwise your right he needs a better home....

The red slime remover is called boyd's chemi clean...be very carefull when using this product follow the instructions carefully..I used it with great success but remember this is only a band aid..you have to get to the root of the problem or it will just come back

red slime is a bacteria and is caused by high nutrients in the tank, usually phosphates

make sure that you are using RO/DI water and that the filters in your RO/DI unit don't need changing

try using higher flow, phosphate remover such as chemi-pure elite and change any old media you may have forgotten about

when doing water changes siphon as much as you can out

do not over feed your tank! also some flake food and frozen has phosphates which can cause a problem

HTH

Maria

The red slime remover is called boyd's chemi clean...be very carefull when using this product follow the instructions carefully..I used it with great success but remember this is only a band aid..you have to get to the root of the problem or it will just come back

red slime is a bacteria and is caused by high nutrients in the tank, usually phosphates

make sure that you are using RO/DI water and that the filters in your RO/DI unit don't need changing

try using higher flow, phosphate remover such as chemi-pure elite and change any old media you may have forgotten about

when doing water changes siphon as much as you can out

do not over feed your tank! also some flake food and frozen has phosphates which can cause a problem

HTH

Maria

Can also use Erethromycin. It's an anti-biotic, so it might have adverse effects on your good jube jube for bio-filtration. I have used it in fresh and saltwater with great success both times in conjuncture with a two day blackout. Then siphon out the now dead crap from the slime and do a water change. Worked for me both times I had to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

OK so update...I am doing a week long blackout, so i removed all of my livestock and set up a 10g for them until the RSM is ready. I thought this would be a great time to share some pictures of this livestock since well theres no where to hid muhahahah, hopefully they are okay in the small tank for now, I have a protein skimmer, heater, and fan running in there and im going to do small water changes daily since theres no biological filtration going on.

Also, I picked up some corals (Hammer, Frogspawn, GSP) from a fellow reefer for great prices, they are temporarily in my Eclipse 12g just until the RSM is ready.

Enjoy the pics let me know what you think!

The temp 10g

IMGP0666.jpg

Peppermint on the Sea Hare

IMGP0653.jpg

Shrooms

IMGP0643.jpg

Scooter Blenny

IMGP0638.jpg

Skunk Cleaner

IMGP0635.jpg

The Eclipse 12g (temp housing corals)

Damsel and Condy

IMGP0628.jpg

Damsel, Condy, GSP, Hammer, Frogspawn, Hermits

IMGP0625.jpg

FS

IMGP0622.jpg

My Florida Softshell!

IMGP0555.jpg

That Condy is sweet. The girlfriend wanted something purple in the tank so we choose a condy anemone. Well give it a few more months under strong lighting and it will turn completely purple and Huge! Feed it some krill (high in iodine) to grow it big and fast and thicker tentacles.

About your RSM problem, sounds like you have all the advice you need. Maybe 1 more thing to consider is more in-tank display area flow. For example a k2 or k3 power head.

About your soft shell: Its late so all I could think of was what the hell is a soft shell, Kept thinking car wax, car wax has... wait Turtle car wax. OMG its a fracking turtle you idiot.

Cheers

So here are some post blackout pics with all the new livestock! I got the tunze and stevieT's media rack as well as new lights! and new aquascape thankgoodness i can enjoy my tank once again. BTW I took these pics the day I put the new corals in so they arent exactly out in full, also havnt mounted the birdsnest yet.

Duncan

Purple tip frogspawn

birdsnest

IMGP0706.jpg

IMGP0702.jpg

IMGP0684.jpg

IMGP0698.jpg

IMGP0678.jpg

IMGP0677.jpg

IMGP0691.jpg

Let me know what you think!

so heres the newest addition to my tank, and by far my favorite, heres a sequence showing their disturbing specific eating habits, also the other new additions include a blue knuckled hermit <3 and a red leg with 2 feather dusters attatched<3

MY HARLEQUIN PAIR <3333333 eating a sandsifting star

1-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

4-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

ENJOY let me know what you think!

Wow looks like you did a great job cleaning up the RSM. Have you ever been to Fish and Other Ichthy Stuff in Oldsmar? They are just further down Hillsborough from the Marine Warehouse. If you havent been there you should check them out. The owner, John, is extremely knowledgeable.

buccaneerreef

Also check out Coral Corral located behing the new shopping center on Hillborough and Race Track. Excellent staff, a hug selection of corals.

Your rock work looks great.

do you know if there are any groups in Tampa that do Frag swaps?

RSM is coming along nicely

Both of these two are very cute

IMGP0555.jpg

bahaha thanks, the RSM is lookin good thanks to all the great advice i got on nanoreef thanks for all the help!

Wow looks like you did a great job cleaning up the RSM. Have you ever been to Fish and Other Ichthy Stuff in Oldsmar? They are just further down Hillsborough from the Marine Warehouse. If you havent been there you should check them out. The owner, John, is extremely knowledgeable.

Thanks! yea it was a lot of hard work but I am actually enjoying my tank again, I have been planning on going to that store for a long time now, I went to marine warehouse the other day for the first time, it was expensive, but they had some really nice lookin stuff, so ill def be checking them out heard from a few soures that its a good place=)

Also check out Coral Corral located behing the new shopping center on Hillborough and Race Track. Excellent staff, a hug selection of corals.

Your rock work looks great.

do you know if there are any groups in Tampa that do Frag swaps?

Thanks and yea def will i loce going to new fish stores its like a free admission to an aquarium that you can take parts home from. I buy a lot of my supplies from St.Pete Marine on 4th St. really nice guys there, Ive been going on craigslist and looking for people selling frags, Almost all of the corals in my tanks are from craigslist. but,,, I know the Tapa Bay Reef Club does a lot of swapping its 25 to join for a year, Im signing up i think so that i can see some local tanks and go to the conference at the florida aquarium.

So..... I baught a bunch more corals from a guy on craigslist, horray addiction, so of course here are som pics of my new corals

-Florida Ricordea

-Rhodactis Mushroom Rock

-Gorgonian

-Awesome zoas, let me know if you know the specific name

-clove polyps

-scolymia

B.jpg

A.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

F.jpg