SaltCritters.com

Uhhhhhh - you have to see this.

Bonsai

maybe he just put the tang there from his larger system (if thats where the right side plumbing goes) temporarily for photo reasons. looks very cool though!

yea definately photoshoped. Look at pic #1 to the right of the mangrove stalks. Blow that area up. It's made to give the impression that the wall is very think perhaps to support the tank and whatever. to the left of the mangrove stalk there is wall texture as expected. To the right nothing. Doesn't even pixelize when magnified. Look at pic two in the same area. The wall is obviously the thickness you would expect perhaps 4" or so. Also the top mangrove leaf is perfectly exposed. The wall behind it is obviously overexposed to hide that line.

Next blow up the section where the corner of the fridge door meets the tank in pic #1. Look at the dark area that is the gasket area between the door and the fridge. As that dark area hits the tank you would expect that to go completely to the waterline but it doesn't. It stops about midway through the glass.

Finally, there is a shadow in pic one that doesn't work. Look at the shadow that goes from the Jesters Doll head, the thick one that represents the shadow of the sump pipe. Follow that shadow up. It stops unexplicably. In this pic you might expect that shadow to go behind those two pipes but it stops and we see clear wall. Actually if I were doing it and the way the lights are falling on those two pipes I would expect to see the shadow of the turned pipes into the bucket at about that point.

Anyway, hope this helps. Look at all those "large" sps colonies and zoa colonies. Come on give me a break. I've got a 3 gallon picotope with zoa's all over the place. My cap is supersmall with only two plates and it takes up 1/4 of the tank width. One of my zoa colonies is about 100 heads and it takes up half the tank. If this is 6.6 gallon forget it.

Steve

Hahahahah look at the mangrove stalks in pic #1 and pic #2. Compare the stalk locations and leaf locations. No way man.

Steve

Last thing. I took the reflection of the reef on the glass of tank two and compared it to the tank one pic. Now keep in mind I reversed the tank one pic so it is in the same orientation. We might expect to see a reflection on the glass but my experience is you don't see it without seeing reflections on the front glass from inside the room. But anyway if you do see a reflection you wouldn't expect it to be an exact duplicate of the of the first pic. So many thing would have to be perfect for that to happen not to mention perfect angles. Anyway, take a look and see. Sorry for the small pic I didn't enlarge it at all. Just flipped the first pic and showed it in comparison to the reflection on the second pic.

hoaxcopy-1.jpg

Edited by hcsceo

I have seen many walls painted that way, the textured side is for a living area, but most people don't want textured walls in the kitchen, it doesn't look as sanitary.

I think the shadows and reflections look pretty good too.

I do agree that a single sps colony in a pico tank would take up most of the tank though... but then again there ARE some pico SPS tanks out there with colony "looking" pieces in them. Could just be the way they were fragged and grew.

And why have that macroalgae in there, I mean if you're gonna photoshop take that stuff out!

The investigation continues, LOL

hmmm look at pic 2 the blue pipe coming from the mangro fuge seems to disappear when it enters the water, but in pic 1 it's quite prominent in the water... could just be the angle though?

OK one last thing. I still think that wall is not right. I think it was widened in photoshop. So I looked at the two corners of it and overlayed one on the other. Those corners are two parallel lines and should be from ceiling to the counter. No matter how you look at that wall those lines will be parallel. Once overlayed they are not. The corners match at the bottom and are off a good bit at the top of that cut I made once overlayed. If that line continued to the roof it would be off several inches i think.

hoax3.jpg

One last thing I checked out that guys website. His profession is design. He owns his own design studio. He has the means and ability to do this type of work. That alone doesn't make it a lie but with the other stuff IDK. I wouldn't put money on it.

Steve

I think its 100 percent real. For the "plumbing" of the reef it looks like it might be going into a fuge wihich could add a lot of water volume.

As for the tang, one that small would do just fine in the reef. Of course as it gets a little larger the tang would have to be moved out. Look at the size of the tank compared to the length of the tang. With comparing the size it would be like an adult tank in a 90 gallon reef or more.

I think is an awesome tank and I will now be in search of the lights that are being used. Just think of the shadows in your reef that you would be able to get rid of by placing all of those lights at different angles. I am sure many lights can be used to grow a reef/acropora but we just have not ventured into it yet. The lights over the tank are extremely bright.

A larger version of that reef would be amazing. Size, I would have to guess 10-12 gallons..

especially after going through the rest of their pictures...

i don't understand why people keep saying this. the other pics are all macros/close-ups. they prove nothing.

i don't understand why people keep saying this. the other pics are all macros/close-ups. they prove nothing.

well after reading everyones post not one single person has posted this yet.

look at tank #1 the corners are round not pointed like a rectangle.

look at tank #2 now. there are corners with seams on them with silicon.

either he has two different tanks or photoshopped.

edit% wait opps lol. looks like in pic two it does have a corner just very hard to see.

Edited by SK8URDEAD

The problem is that most of us are not professionals at photoshop.

For instance I have spent 2 years learning 3D based skills,animation,modeling,materials,texturing,rendering and so on.

People think it's a line of crap that somebody with Blender/Icarus

(free motion tracking software) could do a photo real model,texture it,animate it then composite it into a photorealistic video with real and faked 3D elements.

Yet they do it in Blockbusters all the time.

But typically the Joe doing it is an ace at what he does.

No I'm still not good enough to be considered anything but mediocre :)

Edited by jm82792

Sorry.

I've only done 3d based stuff but in my field of 3D based knowledge,

many times people can be tricked/amazed on how well things can be done by one individual.

This image could be very well photoshoped.

I think it was heavily edited but I could easily be wrong.

Edited by jm82792
supreme_spork

so here's why that's shopped: the tank is about 24" long, which would make all of the corals in there *really* tiny -- like frag-sized -- but they're displaying mature morphologies.

he super-imposed an image of a much larger tank onto that tiny pico...

Edited by supreme_spork
burtbollinger
so here's why that's shopped: the tank is about 24" long, which would make all of the corals in there *really* tiny -- like frag-sized -- but they're displaying mature morphologies.

he super-imposed an image of a much larger tank onto that tiny pico...

I think you've nailed it exactly...

supreme_spork
I think you've nailed it exactly...

I'm thinking about c'est ma's little 5 gallon tank and tashayar's 10 gallon even -- both of those are lush, full tanks and neither of them have even a 10th of the capacity that this little pico supposedly has... mushrooms in tashayar's 5 year-old tank appeared *massive*, for example.

tashayar's 10g tank for reference, which should be almost double the volume of this dude's pico -- http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

so... apparently he's able to warp space, because tasha's 10g would fit in a corner of his 6 gallon pico.

looks like he choose all baby fish and snails.

its surprised that he managed to fit so may coral in there.

wonder how long he was scrapping the glass for that shot XD

i would say those are LEDs but theres not thermal cooling so it cant be...also it cant be (hope not) halogen bulbs because its more red.

hmm....might be a fake..

also my house kinda has the same format. i'll try to recreate what he did and report back =P

While this tank is obviously a shop I was thinking htat would be a great way to add mangroves to a tank. Expecially if you were hanging T5's or something. Have the mangroves in a seperate decorative overflow or something so it doesn't look ugly and you can have them out and not under a cabinet. Definitely a cool idea.

I do agree though, this was definitely done as a project to show off this guys photoshopping skills.