Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Uhhhhhh - you have to see this.

Bonsai

el_vulture619

It does give you awesome ideas for hiding ugly equipment to make the wife happier! The Japanese spot light deal is sweet also. Like a concert!

Man, you people are extremely skeptical. What would possess someone to set all this up, take a picture of an empty tank and then photoshop fish and corals in it in such a convincing way that it must have taken days to do so? Especially taking TWO pictures from different angles which match up perfectly with eachother. What is so impossible about this tank? He has an inlet and outlet to a sump quite obviously, and has done his homework to make a tank that looks great. So he has a tang in there, so what? it is tiny and since he has the know-how to do something like this, he obviously wouldn't let it grow to full size.. I'm sure he has a second tank to move the little guy over to in a few months.

Stop being so skeptical of everything and worship the man, for he is a nano god!

Edited by Cytosol

If it was really, I'd be the first to bow down, but it's just not. As to why you'd do this, why not? Playing around on photoshop is fun (not that i have this guy's skills. They are worship worthy.).

I have to say ... I certainly didn't expect this sort of conversation when I came across this photoset. Is it that we're all so jealous of the setup that we immediately cry "FAKE!" ... ?

My vote is that this guy simply has crazy skills. But who knows, maybe this sort of tank and set up are common in Japan (where he seems to be from). As it was pointed out in a previous post, this seems to be a style of reef over there ... spotlights above the tank. A quick Google search confirms this.

And if you're of the opinion that "everything looks out of scale" ... consider the art of Bonsai, where we take small shrubs and trees and trim them to model large ones in nature.

I've been working with Photoshop nearly every day for 12+ years, and I cannot honestly say that I believe this is Photoshopped. *If* it is altered, which I highly doubt, it would have to be designed in a 3D environment using something like Maya or a similar software package.

I want to believe. Because if this is real, it is the best Pico I've ever seen!

I like what was said about the colonies. They look like full colonies in the pic not just a frag.

stop being so gullible and get a brain moran

Lol!!!

I have to say ... I certainly didn't expect this sort of conversation when I came across this photoset. Is it that we're all so jealous of the setup that we immediately cry "FAKE!" ... ?

My vote is that this guy simply has crazy skills. But who knows, maybe this sort of tank and set up are common in Japan (where he seems to be from). As it was pointed out in a previous post, this seems to be a style of reef over there ... spotlights above the tank. A quick Google search confirms this.

And if you're of the opinion that "everything looks out of scale" ... consider the art of Bonsai, where we take small shrubs and trees and trim them to model large ones in nature.

I've been working with Photoshop nearly every day for 12+ years, and I cannot honestly say that I believe this is Photoshopped. *If* it is altered, which I highly doubt, it would have to be designed in a 3D environment using something like Maya or a similar software package.

I want to believe. Because if this is real, it is the best Pico I've ever seen!

BONSAI!!!!!!!!! Can you say Mr. Myagi???

The thing I can't get over, and something that just adds beauty and elegance to his tank, are the spotlights. I really like them, does anybody know where to get something like that?

They are very difficult to get in this country. I saw one for sale on RC a while back but that's about it. They use MH bulbs. So if you can imagine all those spotlights being 150w that's actually a lot of light for a pico.

A 6.6 gallon is TINY guys. But I will have to find a pic I have of a real 5g SPS tank that looks just as impressive than that one. It is possible, but hard to believe at the same time. Stay tuned!

Ha! I actually have the photos on this computer.

sps_pico_03.jpg

sps_picoO02.jpg

sps_pico_04.jpg

sps_pico_01.jpg

this one is REAL. notice blue tang? and the colony "like" frags? It is possible.

supreme_spork

First of all, have you seen some of the crazy awesome tanks that people have around here? There are a lot, and *nobody* accuses the owners of faking it. Why? BECAUSE THEY'RE REAL.

Secondly, I'm not sure what you use Photoshop for, but I could duplicate the above in about 5 minutes -- take a few shots of a large tank and then shrink them down to be superimposed over the pico.

Seriously, do you know how tiny that 25L tank is? 24" long by 10" high by 8" wide -- unless he's stumbled upon an entire range of ultra-miniature coral species, it's a big fat fake.

Man, you people are extremely skeptical. What would possess someone to set all this up, take a picture of an empty tank and then photoshop fish and corals in it in such a convincing way that it must have taken days to do so? Especially taking TWO pictures from different angles which match up perfectly with eachother. What is so impossible about this tank? He has an inlet and outlet to a sump quite obviously, and has done his homework to make a tank that looks great. So he has a tang in there, so what? it is tiny and since he has the know-how to do something like this, he obviously wouldn't let it grow to full size.. I'm sure he has a second tank to move the little guy over to in a few months.

Stop being so skeptical of everything and worship the man, for he is a nano god!

yup.. agree..

the tang are fake? in my country Indonesia, we can see many tangs like that size..

the lamp are fake? as you know, almost 90% tank in japan use kind of spotlight to lights their tank n amazingly most of the tank use convetional powerhead (not wave maker) to create the wave for their sps tank also..

believe it or not? ;)

Secondly, I'm not sure what you use Photoshop for, but I could duplicate the above in about 5 minutes -- take a few shots of a large tank and then shrink them down to be superimposed over the pico.

Okay, I'll give you 5 minutes, starting now, to duplicate what he did with a known photo of a large tank and a known photo of a pico tank. Go! :P

If it's fake, that is some nice, time consuming photoshop work IMO and I've been using photoshop since it was v. 2.0!

yup.. agree..

the tang are fake? in my country Indonesia, we can see many tangs like that size..

the lamp are fake? as you know, almost 90% tank in japan use kind of spotlight to lights their tank n amazingly most of the tank use convetional powerhead (not wave maker) to create the wave for their sps tank also..

believe it or not? ;)

handoko, that looks like a nice tank in your sig! do you have a build thread for it here? would love to see more of it.

First of all, have you seen some of the crazy awesome tanks that people have around here? There are a lot, and *nobody* accuses the owners of faking it. Why? BECAUSE THEY'RE REAL.

Seriously, do you know how tiny that 25L tank is? 24" long by 10" high by 8" wide -- unless he's stumbled upon an entire range of ultra-miniature coral species, it's a big fat fake.

duty_calls.png

supreme_spork
Okay, I'll give you 5 minutes, starting now, to duplicate what he did with a known photo of a large tank and a known photo of a pico tank. Go! :P

If it's fake, that is some nice, time consuming photoshop work IMO and I've been using photoshop since it was v. 2.0!

Dude, seriously. Look at what's going on in the picture:

There is a pronounced bokeh in the bottom close-up photo *with the exception of the tank*. The depth-of-field is very, very narrow in that picture -- meaning that you would expect the rear of the tank to be slightly out of focus along with the blue sump-thing off to the side. However, there is zero dimensionality in the tank -- everything is equally in focus with no bokeh, the tank is totally flat. This is what gives it away that it's two photos that have been composited together.

Really, I'll believe this tank is real when I see video. Should this guy prove that it's not a fake I will happily eat crow and worship his skillz -- but I don't think that's going to happen.

After visiting Zoanuts and seeing their frag tanks, I don't see why the SPS colonies aren't real.

edit: the small gobies are eviota bifasciata, which only get to 1" in maximum length.

Edited by lakshwadeep