Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

'Nother white crab ID

BAC

Hi all,

I've apparently had this white crab living in some tunnels in my live rock for months, at the very least, but I've just now managed to get a (fuzzy) photo of him. I've read that "hairy with black tipped claws" is bad... but I can't really blame this one for anything, yet. I'd rather not put our Firefish at risk though. Any ideas what kind it is?

Thanks.

post-26358-1232217525_thumb.jpg

Edit: Caught him via the shot-glass-against-LR method in about 3 hours and got some more pics... thinking gorilla crab, unfortunately:

post-26358-1232431132_thumb.jpg

post-26358-1232431249_thumb.jpg

If you have a fuge, put it there. Being hairy and having black claws are only superficial features not related to whether a crab is bad or good. However, most crabs are omnivores, and so there is a danger of the crab eating things that you don't want it to.

Sounds reasonable. Alas, I don't have a fuge yet, though I'll attempt to banish the critter there if I ever manage to get one set up. Catching him might be a bigger challenge, all things considered.

How big is it?

An inch, inch and a half or so.

looks like a tarantula hahaha

Actually, my first reaction when I saw his legs sticking out of the LR was, "holy #!@, there's a spider in our tank!"

It's definitely nocturnal, but not overly afraid of the flashlight; seems more annoyed by it than anything.

I had one of those "holy ****, how did that get in there?" moments the first time I saw this sand-colored crab hitch-hiker I have that I still haven't managed to catch. When you are ready to catch it, the easiest way is through a DIY trap. Just do a search on here or the invert forum and you should find some great info.

Added some pics after I caught him tonight... and I over estimated his size. He's 3/4" at best, unless he really stretches.

After doing some more research, it looks like a gorilla crab to me... unfortunately, I put him back in the tank after the photo shoot. :blink:

Guess I'll have to see if he falls for it twice...

Archived