Pod Your Reef

Live rock, turning green with algae.

imkevin20

I've done my shearching, haven't really found much help on this...

My setup right now is about 4 months old. I've got a couple zoa's and 1 clownfish

10 gallons, use RODI water, test results say water params. are fine.

My CUC is about 5 astrea snails and 5 blue leg hermits.

I've been consistant with a 10-20% water change each week.

I run cheato in my fuge and my lighting is 10k 48w PC lights.

I feed my clown around every 3 days with either flake or frozen foods, when I feed him frozen I usually dont feed him much of that, its more a treat for him.

What could be the cause of this as I'm kind of clueless now...

Here we go:

rockedit.jpg

The only thing I can think of is the rock wasnt live when I put it in, it was in my old 29gal tank from a few years back and it set dry for about 6 months, I rinsed and cured all the rock before I put it in this tank though so I dont know if it would be leeching nutrients still? I'm going to pick up another rock from the lfs tomorrow with coraline to get some growth back, the sand is live sand and I was planing on the rock being seeded from that.

How long is your light cycle?

I started it out at 12 hours, when the algae started appearing I took it down to 9, it still kept getting worse so I brought it down to 6. Changing the light cycle doesnt seem to help any...

I bought a new GLO T-5 fixture today, 2-24w bulbs 18k and actnic. Maybe the PC's were getting old, the colors in the tank didnt seem NEAR as vibrant as they do now with the T-5's. With the new fixture I'm bringing the lighting back up to 9 hours daily.

I also picked up an emerald crab and turbo snail to do a little algae cleaning, theres a bit of hair algae starting.

What are some good snails that like to stay on rockwork?

Maybe I can get some of them to take care of the problem.

I started it out at 12 hours, when the algae started appearing I took it down to 9, it still kept getting worse so I brought it down to 6. Changing the light cycle doesnt seem to help any...

I bought a new GLO T-5 fixture today, 2-24w bulbs 18k and actnic. Maybe the PC's were getting old, the colors in the tank didnt seem NEAR as vibrant as they do now with the T-5's. With the new fixture I'm bringing the lighting back up to 9 hours daily.

I also picked up an emerald crab and turbo snail to do a little algae cleaning, theres a bit of hair algae starting.

What are some good snails that like to stay on rockwork?

Maybe I can get some of them to take care of the problem.

Hopefully the new lights help out.

Do you make your own RO/DI or do you buy it?

Turbo snails get big and they tend to knock frags over.. I only have one. He goes on the glass but also stays on the rocks quite a lot. Astrea snails too, but if they fall on their backs, they cannot right themselves which can be very annoying. You either have to manually right them, or if you can't reach them, let them become hermit crab food. Trochus snails are a good addition to a CUC, they can sometimes be more difficult to find in LFS's.

Is it soft? Because in the picture, it looks like green coralline.

I buy the water, I live about an hour and a half away from my nearest LFS and dont have my own RO unit. I have been thinking about getting one to save trips to the store lately though.

DrFosterSmith has the coralife one, its 107$ and rated at 24gpd, althought it doesnt have the RO pump and im not sure if I need that or not so I havent decided yet, as I type this I'm thinking about calling them and seeing about it haha.

The algae I got is hard, I havent looked into green coraline algae? It was really bad on one of my rocks but now its starting to fade from dark green to a lighter almost gone green since I added my HOB fuge.

Have you ever TDS tested the water you buy? Their filters may not have been changed recently, etc. Which could mean your water source may be contributing to your problem. And don't take their word for it, I bought tap water from a store once that was sold as RO/DI. When I tested it with my TDS meter, 530TDS! :angry:

I got my RO/DI unit from filter direct on ebay. One of the best investments I've ever made. ;)

Is that the RODI unit you use? Im guessing since you linked to it you must approve of it? lol

Have you ever TDS tested the water you buy? Their filters may not have been changed recently, etc. Which could mean your water source may be contributing to your problem. And don't take their word for it, I bought tap water from a store once that was sold as RO/DI. When I tested it with my TDS meter, 530TDS! :angry:

I got my RO/DI unit from filter direct on ebay. One of the best investments I've ever made. ;)

I dont have a TDS meter to test it, I was looking on Melev's Reef, he lives just a few hours from me and I was gonna see about picking one up from him to check the water I use.

Although I might order the one posted above ^

Hey....

I have the same stuff growing on my rock.... dont worry... its the start of corraline algae. IT will go from green to light green to orange....to pink... to purple.... My really good friend had same problem but its good.....

The algae I got is hard, I havent looked into green coraline algae? It was really bad on one of my rocks but now its starting to fade from dark green to a lighter almost gone green since I added my HOB fuge.

I'm thinking it's coralline. My rock got really green like that at one point.

I'm thinking it's coralline. My rock got really green like that at one point.

I hope thats the case, the only reason im skeptical about the coralline is becuase the rock was stored out of water for about 6 months so everything had died off at that point.

The only outside coralline that was added was from the shells of snails/hermits from the lfs that I had got them from.

If the algae is not filamentous like normal green algae, then it isn't bad. I've had some times when my rocks would turn bright green with some type of harmless microalgae.

Archived