Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Acrylic thickness for tank building

davidncbrown

Sorry I didnt mean to overlook your question. It all depends on the look your wanting to go for. I actually love the look of the long and low tanks that are made of .5" acrylic. I just looks really neat in my book. But you could safely build that tank out of 3/8".

If your going rimmed you can do it with 3/16"

Rimless 1/4" will bow a but not much at all.

1/2" is way overkill for the tank your planning on building.

here is a chart that is used by the pros.

Aquarium Height Sheet Thickness

1 to 12 inches 1/4 inch

12 - 18 inches 3/8 inch

18 - 24 inches 1/2 inch

24 - 30 inches 3/4 inch

whats about right. also you might consider euro bracing. mines was 8" tall and 14" wide and there was a 1/4" bow.

its not all about height its about width too.

fishez4alivin

I think with reef tanks, if you use a wavemaker or controllable powerhead, like a vortech, you need to overbuild. I made a 36x24x16 and it is bowing. That was made with 3/4" cell cast. If I did it again, I would either go 1" or put a eurobrace in it.

Well I decided to go for 1/4" cell cast. Its going to be 12"h x 12"w x 16"l. The filter section will be 4" made from 1/8" black acrylic similar in design to a nano filter. Euro brace on top, and the front of the tank will be 90 degree bends, not glued for added strength. I'll create a thread following my progress once I start building.

• 10 years later...

Hello I am thinking of making  a 72” x 24” x 18” aquarium from 1/4 “ commercial grade cast acrylic. I am planning on bracing it about every foot on the top rim with cross pieces. Does anyone know if this will work? Has anyone tried this before?

This guy is extra salty

No it won’t 

doesnt have enough structural integrity 

if it was a sump with baffles 12-24 in with eurobrace yes you can do that 

otherwise it will fail

.750 or 1in acrylic will work with your dimensions and bracing

• 1 month later...
Christopher Marks
48 minutes ago, not giving my name said:

so say I want to make a 60 gallon fresh water tank out of acrylic how thick does it need to be

It depends on the tank dimensions, can you share them?

• 2 months later...
On 1/14/2009 at 5:33 AM, calvin415 said:

Here's the 1/2" one that eventually bowed...

redolight.jpg

cool a little lost for word i like it still working out where you hid every thing  mmm?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This guy is extra salty
On 7/10/2019 at 8:44 AM, Liam honl said:

I am making a fish tank that is 30 gallons. For the thickness of my acrylic glass should it be 5/8

It depends on dimensions, and if it is a six sided box. 

• 1 year later...

Hello.

I want to build an acrylic aquarium 64''L*24''W*x24H'' (22''H of water). 5/8' is a good thickness or i should go for 3/4? Top bracing must be out of a full sheet of acrylic or can it be from pieces like glass aquariums? 
Thanks for your time

• 1 month later...
fishez4alivin
On 9/2/2020 at 1:40 PM, Bobosauras said:

Hello.

I want to build an acrylic aquarium 64''L*24''W*x24H'' (22''H of water). 5/8' is a good thickness or i should go for 3/4? Top bracing must be out of a full sheet of acrylic or can it be from pieces like glass aquariums? 
Thanks for your time

I built a 36x24x18 and used all 3/4" and didn't get bowing and it was rimless.  The size of tank you are building will need a brace I'm sure.    You can use 4 strips to brace, once it's all chemically welded together it's one piece.

This guy is extra salty
On 9/2/2020 at 3:40 PM, Bobosauras said:

Hello.

Thanks for your time

.750 will be fine a brace or two will suffice or as you said a 6 sided box 📦