Coral Vue Hydros

40 GALLON BREEDER w/ the new Solana 34 gallon Mantis Shrimp tank

RLC

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we found a few more pics from the water change she wanted to post.

Here is a couple of pics of the orange cap she got from b_c_fisher. This one is not growing as fast as the green cap but there has been some growth. Thought it would be good to get a couple of pics to watch in grow over the next few months.

Top down view of the cap.

DSC04310.jpg

DSC04311.jpg

Here is a top down view of the clowns hosting sort of. At night when it is all pulled they go and sleep in it.

DSC04312.jpg

DSC04314.jpg

The last pic is a top down view of the frogspawn.

DSC04313.jpg

i m curently battleing cyno in my very low bugget 55 it has gone crazy i have removed all of my mech filtration and doubled up on my water changes and i was admiring you guys tank and seen that you are having a cyno prob as well (not as nearly as bad as mine [catch it asap]) thaught the info might help but you prob new already since your tank looks amazing if you have and advice i would love to hear it....:huh:008.jpg

as for the skimmer... a hole in the bottom of the collection cup with a hose draining to like a 2 liter might help?

that is awsome that your clowns swim in the xenia..maby an alternitive to a anem ,i dont have the light to support one and i want my clowns to spawn

slick fish,

Post 164 shows a product that we have been using for a few weeks now. She adds a lid full every day. With the advice from Sea Slug about stop using the powder coral food has really helped. It is almost gone there is a little left over but I would say there has been a 90% turn around. We have always been really good about water changes. As we get deeper in to corals you read this and that and they all seem to be different and contradict each other. When we started using the powder coral food we thought we were doing the right thing but a Sea Slug said that he doesn't do a thing and when you look at his tanks they are amazing and something to aspire to. So we are following his advice and we stopped using that junk. We do feed with live food which Sea slug directed us to and that seems to working and less of a strain on the tank. She is also feeding the corals way less than she was before. As far as your red slime doesn't look so bad. What you need to do is look at how much your feeding and how much flow you have. She started to feed a little bit earlier as this will give the fish a little extra time to get any missed food on there first pass at it. It is neat and frustrating to watch the tank grow as it goes through many transformations.

all very true ... i have cut down on feeding so much ,when i do feed the fish a almost fighting over it and then tails get niped! its crazy i have like five fish in a 55 gal .its not too much, no one is bigger that 2 inches

2 A. ocellaris, 1 tomato clown ,1 pseudochromis, 1 canary blenny......

i had it backwards but close my bad

INORGANIC nitrate and phosphate. These things are what your test kits read, and what the nuisance algae on your rocks and glass require to live. ORGANIC nitrate and phosphate have another name: Food. Any and every piece of food you put into your tank has nitrate and phosphate in them, but they are organic. Skimmers remove the organic nitrate and phosphate (food), and leave in the inorganic nitrate and phosphate; these inorganics are then used by the nuisance algae on your rocks and glass to grow.

Nice to see the Leng Sy is hanging on. It needs to grow for you it never did for me. Also for the Orange Cap just wait as soon as it gets a foothold it'll go insane mine finally grabbed on to the rock it was on and is atleast twice the size it was when you were here. Got any pics of the Tyree Blue Chalice or did it not make it? If not I might have another piece here soon but I gotta see cuz I got some trades working with Glenn for some of his uber cool corals.

Tyree Blue Chalice is showing a little retraction and we are not sure it going to make it. The other 1 she has is doing well. Yesterday was a good day as we got to see the Yellow Watchman Goby for the first time after adding him 2 weeks ago.

Tyree Blue Chalice from the LFS

DSC04052.jpg

Our daughter took some more pics last night and would like them to be posted with a current tank description.

General Tank Information.

40 Gallon Breeder Tank and Stand started just after Christmas 2008.

36 Inch Dual 150 Watt 20,000K Metal Halide Coralife.

Koralia Powerhead #2 (600 GPH).

Koralia Powerhead #3 (850 GPH).

Koralia Powerhead #1 (400 GPH)

40 lbs Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand.

Corallife Aqualight Blue-Moon-Glow LED Light.

CPR Over Flow Box (800 GPH).

Aqua Lifter Pump.

Mag 9.5 Return Pump (950 GPH).

Coralife Super Skimmer 65 Gallon Model (325 GPH).

Wet/Dry Filter Kit.

Azoo Cooling Fan (4 Fan unit).

Livestock listing.

Fish

3 Green Chromis.

2 Clowns.

1 Keyhole Angelfish.

1 Scooter Blenny.

1 Tiger Goby.

1 Yellow Watchman Goby.

2 Green Clown Goby.

Invertebrate's

1 Cleaner Shrimp.

1 Candy Stripe Pistol Shrimp.

1 Tiger Stripe Pistol Shrimp.

1 Purple Spine Urchin.

10 Assorted Snails as her Clean Up Crew.

3 Red Legged Hermit Crabs that are jailed in her sump. As she says the are "Snail Killers".

Corals

Multiple Mushrooms.

16 Red Mushrooms.

2 Neon Green Mushrooms.

15 Green Hairy Mushrooms all on 1 large rock.

1 Green Ricordea.

1 Orange Ricordea.

2 Xenia stalks.

1 Green Montipora Capricornis.

1 Orange Montipora Capricornis.

7 Head Frogspawn.

1 Blue Chalice.

1 Green Slimmer.

1 Large Rock of Green Star Polyps that are attaching to her back wall.

1 Baby Torch.

This is her Full Tank Shot

DSC04858.jpg

Left Side

DSC04862.jpg

Right Side

DSC04885.jpg

Semi Look Down View

DSC04865.jpg

When I got home from work I always check on the tanks and I saw this little yellow guy poking his head. I ran to get the camera and did my best to get a pic without making him disappear. Yellow and the pistol were added 3 weeks ago or so. We have spotted him 4 times now so it is very exciting every time we get a glimpse of it.

DSC04906.jpg

DSC04907.jpg

DSC04908.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So we just got back from the FRAG meet and it was neat to see all the frags. FRAG is a a local Arizona group of saltwater people who get together every month to do a auction or a swap/sell kind of thing. This month was the swap/meet. She picked up all the corals for $30.

Here are the pics of the corals she got before she put them in her tank. More pics to follow..

DSC04953.jpg

DSC04955.jpg

DSC04956-1.jpg

DSC04957.jpg

DSC04958.jpg

DSC04960.jpg

DSC04961.jpg

DSC04962.jpg

DSC04963.jpg

DSC04964.jpg

DSC04966.jpg

Crap I thought I was getting some good deals around here... :o Tank is looking awesome btw. Its nice to see younger people interest in something for more than 15 mins *as I chase my 1.5 year old around the house*

This makes me slightly sad as I start my 40B. I'm pretty sure it will never be as nice as your daughters! lol

Keep up the good work. I'm in to follow along.

Thanks for the kind words. We should have a few new pics by the end of the week. She is still working on where she wants to put all the corals. :D

Thanks for the kind words. We should have a few new pics by the end of the week. She is still working on where she wants to put all the corals. :D

Awesome lighting. I got the exact lighting set up and love it

She really likes the light and with the 20k bulb it gives off a nice cool blue tone in her room. She just added a 36 inch T-5 true actinic light. She has 3 colors of light going on now (20K for 7 hours then a 1 1/2 hours of the purple just before bed and the blue led moon light the rest of the time.

She really likes the light and with the 20k bulb it gives off a nice cool blue tone in her room. She just added a 36 inch T-5 true actinic light. She has 3 colors of light going on now (20K for 7 hours then a 1 1/2 hours of the purple just before bed and the blue led moon light the rest of the time.

How she retrofit the t-5? Because i have some ready to set up just need to know how it should be done

Well we just put the light along the back of the tank in-between the overflow and the main light. It came with pull out steel feet kind of thing and she has it sitting right on the tank just above the water line. I have seen someone take the steel support for a bookshelf and just bolt the light to that and had the light just hang over tank. It really makes the anything green really pop.

Here is a link to the light she got.

Aqualight T-5 Series - Single Linear Strip

http://captainaquarium.com/index.php?main_...products_id=245

I wanted to post him in the last 2 picture of the month contest.

1.Predator = got the good pic to late to enter it. :angry:

2.Feeding = I can't get a blur free pic of the killing machine. :o

Archived