RLC

40 GALLON BREEDER w/ the new Solana 34 gallon Mantis Shrimp tank

itzclayyo

Looks awesome, that's a sweet piece of monti for that price! I love the red mushrooms too!

Sea Slug

She is doing a great job......Reef tanks are always art work in progress , I have three kids who think all my tanks are cool , but couldn't be less interested in how to maintain them . When there freinds come over they spend more time with me and the tanks then my own kids :lol: A couple of them even had there parents come over to help convince them to get a setup . It's great you are supporting your daughter in this very exspensive hobby , instead of saying forget it , you won't be able to do it ( which is true if you weren't willing to supply the cash ) . To me it's money well spent when her interest and commitment is that strong . Here are some photo's of my 40 breeder Monti Cap Tank for your daughter to look at , Let her know that the blue hippo tang has since been moved to a much larger tank . Also tell her I think her tank is awesome ! B) Keep up the good work & when she is sixteen Mom & Dad will buy her a 150 gal. setup . :D

post-8365-1232292809_thumb.jpg

post-8365-1232292818_thumb.jpg

post-8365-1232292827_thumb.jpg

post-8365-1232292841_thumb.jpg

post-8365-1232292850_thumb.jpg

post-8365-1232292856_thumb.jpg

post-8365-1232292862_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sea Slug

buckeyes2k7

I am pretty f'in jealous

RLC

I have some left over pictures before the back ground was added so we were going to post some of the old pics before we get to the new.

GSP and the Halloween urchin.

gsp_and_halloween.jpg

Edited by RLC

bonsai reefer

Lookin good

el_vulture619

AHH, who needs a backround, just let Coraline grow over it! Dont let her fall into peer pressure!

Looks good, I got a 40b for Christmas too!!

b_c_fisher

Still saying you need a 180! lol. So new pics?

RLC

The Midas jumped from the tank the other day :o .

RIP

post-41360-1232641092_thumb.jpg

jerzsky

wow that tank is sweet! sorry to hear about the midas. nice pics by the way!

RLC

Just trying to catch up on some old pics. We added a Hammer/torch. Pics should be up by this weekend. The tank has a little red slime in the front corners. We moved the powerheads and a bag of chemi-pure to see if that would help. I believe it is just a lack from water movement.

post-41360-1232733027_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1232733383_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1232733902_thumb.jpg

Edited by RLC

Whacked

OK Thats it. Game over.

Your daughter has a better tank than I do.

Time to get out of the hobby.

Anyone want a 20H?

All kidding aside, that is simply amazing. Kudo's for getting the word out to Santa and supporting her hobby.

I am impressed :)

RLC

We will take the tank and give it a good home. :P

Noobeef
We will take the tank and give it a good home. :P

So I noticed in your pictures that your chromis don't hang out either. lol I got 3 of them recently and they couldn't care less about shoaling They cruise around completely separate. I would have only gotten one and gotten 2 different fish to add diversity had I known they wouldn't group up. :rolleyes:

RLC
So I noticed in your pictures that your chromis don't hang out either. lol I got 3 of them recently and they couldn't care less about shoaling They cruise around completely separate. I would have only gotten one and gotten 2 different fish to add diversity had I known they wouldn't group up. :rolleyes:

They do get together but only at night just before we feed and when they sleep. They go there own way during the day.

Noobeef
They do get together but only at night just before we feed and when they sleep. They go there own way during the day.

Actually mine do that too. When the lights go out they huddle up together next to a powerhead, but as soon as the lights come on or enough daylight is peeping through the blinds they are off on their own separate journeys. haha.

RLC

I was at my LFS (About the Reef,Tempe AZ) and asked Chris about was going on with them only getting together at different times of day. He said that's what they do when a predator :o is around or when a mass feeding is going on :mellow: .

Noobeef
I was at my LFS (About the Reef,Tempe AZ) and asked Chris about was going on with them only getting together at different times of day. He said that's what they do when a predator :o is around or when a mass feeding is going on :mellow: .

So they split when there is a predator? Sorry, I don't see my tomato clown as a predator. :lol: Maybe...I'm the predator? :o

b_c_fisher

No they only stick together with pred around or mass feeding if theres nothing harassing them in the tank they split up I say add a small angler they'll school

RLC

Well we took some new pics over the last few days. We will group them by subject. I will be asking a question a little later about flow and red slime.

First up is the new Frogspawn/torch. We picked this coral up for $36 and it has about 6-7 heads.

Frogspawn at night with the 1 watt blue led light

post-41360-1233160688_thumb.jpg

Random pics of the torch with 20k lights on. Still learning to use the camera settings.

post-41360-1233160874_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233160895_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233160972_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233161012_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233161106_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233161130_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233161244_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233161262_thumb.jpg

Noobeef
Well we took some new pics over the last few days. We will group them by subject. I will be asking a question a little later about flow and red slime.

I will tell you the way I got rid of my red slime.

Now, first a disclaimer, I used Blue Life's Red Slime remover exactly as directed. Some people have had bad experiences with some of the chemical Red Slime removers so I can only go off of my experience. The day after the treatment with the Red Slime remover was complete, I did the 25% water change as directed and I added a bag of ChemiPure Elite into the fuge. I had pretty bad cyano, but those two things together knocked it out in 4 days and I haven't seen hardly any (I still see the occasional 1/2 cm growth on the sand).

Granted, I don't know how bad your problem is. If it's not bad, I'd try siphoning it out and just adding the chemi-pure elite. Mine had gotten too strong a hold and it was encroaching on and killing corals so I really had nothing to lose when I went with the meds, but it was so bad I think I needed the meds to knock it down then the chemi-pure came in and fixed the root problem.

RLC

OK now for the red slime issue :angry:. We are only feeding once a day Hikari brine shrimp and mysid shrimp. We cut the cube in 1/3 or 1/4 and add a little of each. We put it in a cup of tank water and let it thaw. We feed about a hour before the lights go out for the night. The red slime is just in the front of the tank on the sand bed. We were thinking about adding a sand sifting goby. On the left hand side of the tank we moved the powerhead to the back wall and since then it looks like most of the slime is gone. We were thinking about adding another powerhead that would flow water across the top of the sand bed but that would give the tank a messy look. We have tested the water and they come out clean and we added a Chemi-Pure Elite about 2 weeks ago. We are not big on adding to many chemicals to the tank (Blue Life's Red Slime remover). I am sure the cleaner goby would do the job but we would like to fix the problem rather than covering it up. So here are some pics of the slime. :D Please give advice on our problem :D .

post-41360-1233170179_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233170198_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233170215_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233170240_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233170271_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233170288_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233170308_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233170327_thumb.jpg

You can see the left corner starting to clear up since the powerhead was moved to the back wall.

post-41360-1233170375_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233170392_thumb.jpg

RLC

Here is some pic of the 2 urchins (Halloween and Purple Spine) that are in the tank.

post-41360-1233179527_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233179553_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233179578_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233179618_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233179640_thumb.jpg

post-41360-1233179679_thumb.jpg

RLC
:D We will post more pics in the morning when I am at work :D