Cultivated Reef

40 GALLON BREEDER w/ the new Solana 34 gallon Mantis Shrimp tank

RLC

We posted a picture with the temp reading about 86 degrees before we added the C-Breeze fan. It is now around 76. This fan is way noisy and would be better on a sump with behind doors but this fan really works.

Here is the Jet engine.

DSC05365.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the server crash :o we will just post the pics back up with out the captions and in no paticular order.

DSC05862.jpg

DSC05863.jpg

DSC05864.jpg

DSC05865.jpg

DSC05866.jpg

DSC05867.jpg

DSC05868.jpg

DSC05870.jpg

DSC05872.jpg

DSC05874.jpg

DSC05875.jpg

DSC05876.jpg

DSC05877.jpg

DSC05878.jpg

DSC05879.jpg

DSC05880.jpg

DSC05881.jpg

DSC05884.jpg

DSC05888.jpg

DSC05889.jpg

DSC05890.jpg

DSC05893.jpg

DSC05894.jpg

DSC05895.jpg

DSC05896.jpg

DSC05897.jpg

DSC05938.jpg

DSC05935.jpg

DSC05936.jpg

DSC05937.jpg

We got it as a surprise for her while she was out of town with her grandparents. She was very excited when she noticed it. She got bummed when I got rid of the Sailfin we had in our 75 for over 3 years. So it was nice to get her one she can have for awhile. We are in a big re-do of our 75 as I am getting rid of all the big fish and I will be doing nothing but super small fish. Our plan is to do rock pieces all across the sand with a high and thin rock wall on the back wall. The plan is to do some jawfish and goby pistol pairs. Each fish will have their own little home that they can work on all day. One of our local fish store has a tank that has the gobies and pistol, Scooters and other small fish in a tank and it looks empty until you get up to it and you see all kinds of things going on. I so enjoy looking at this tank and I thought it would be cool to do a big version. Each rock will get its own unique coral (SPS, LPS, Zoas or Ric's) along with a fish of some kind. I will be posting pics of this build as soon as I get my new light. I should get it sometime next week as I am still undecided on what light to get as I want to stay around the $600-$700 price range. I have been looking at the Dual 150 Metal Halide coral life light or the Tek T-5 6 bulb and the 8 bulb set up. So confused on what to do. I do know I like our daughters cool blue look and she is running 20K lighting.

Well I posted this in the T-5 section but I thought I should post it here as well.

Well I just orderd my light. Here is the breakdown.

48" 8x54W Tek Light T5 High-Output Fixture w/ Bulbs

ATI - 54W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent,

ATI - 54W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent,

ATI - 54W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent,

KT - 54W Fiji Purple T5 HO Fluorescent,

UV - 54W Super Actinic T5 HO Fluorescent

Acrylic Shield for 48" 8x54W Tek Light

Tek Light Bracket/Legs Support System

54W 6500K Daylight T5 HO Fluorescent

I can't wait as I am crossing my finger that it will be here by the end of the week. :happy:

Just got word the light shipped today and with it coming from CA it should hit here by Wed or Thurs at the latest. :D . Reefgeek.com even called to make sure that it was me who was placing the order before they shipped it. That is a nice touch since I have been a victim of fraud in the past.

Side rant

It is funny how a store, credit card or a check cashing place can take anything with a name on it and then it becomes your problem to prove it wasn't you. They get to sit back and say it is your problem not ours. I have did the police report, issued a fraud alert and called each place up and asked them how can I help them find who did this. I still have about $2000 that still needs to drop off my file from 6 years ago. The people who did this did about $4000 in 1 day. The go to Sears open up a instant credit line and max it out in 30 minutes and this does not raise any flags and somehow this my problem to fix. With all the low life meth user out there you would think stores would take a bigger role in protecting their merchandise and customers from becoming victims. I am done with my side rant.

WOOT I am getting my light :D (LOL)

The light is here and it is a beast. I wish I wasn't stuck here at work. I will post a 1000 pics over the next couple of days. Let the 75 gallon jawfish/goby pistol tank build start. :D

Before we get to the main event tonight we would like to share a couple pics of the 40 breeder that were taken a few nights ago. Enjoy.

2 clowns and a sail

DSC05953.jpg

DSC05954.jpg

DSC05967.jpg

Gobies are doing well.

DSC05963.jpg

DSC05964.jpg

Rics are do great. The green has split in to 3 and the blue and Orange/pinkish have both split in to 2.

DSC05966.jpg

This was free at the last F.R.A.G. swamp out in Scottsdale.

DSC05965.jpg

Mugshot from the PODS most wanted TV show. :P

Turn to the left...

DSC05959.jpg

Turn to the right...

DSC05962.jpg

Straight ahead killer.

DSC05960.jpg

Yes. It took about 2 feedings and it would come right up to the tube and grab food. So easy. He has been in there from right around the beginning so I would place him at about 4-5 months in the tank. I will check the tank at night and I see all kinds of pods in there as well. So he gets frozen every other day and pellets every other day as well. He is nice and plump so we must be doing something right.

Page 6 post #109 on 2/20/09 is the first pics of the Scooter. :D

So about 1800 miles ago I bought a new car as I wanted to jump on the green band wagon. I was driving a Nissan Frontier that was getting about 18 - 23 miles per gallon :angry: and driving 60 miles or so to work 5 days a week was starting to get expensive. So I got anew car that I am getting about 35+ miles to the gallon :) and I just love it as now there is more money to buy lights and coral :D. I know your saying what does this have to do with the new light. Well the new light almost didn't fit :o .

Here is the new 2009 Nissan cube.

DSC06009.jpg

DSC06010.jpg

DSC06011.jpg

DSC06012.jpg

DSC06013.jpg

DSC06014.jpg

DSC06015.jpg

DSC06019.jpg

DSC06020.jpg

DSC06023.jpg

DSC06024.jpg

DSC06025.jpg

DSC06026.jpg

DSC06027.jpg

Here is the trunk space.

DSC06022.jpg

This is me trying to get more trunk space. Kind of like squeezing blood from a turnip.

DSC06021.jpg

Here is the beast. I thought I was going to have to hang from the window to get this monster home.

DSC06016.jpg

DSC06017.jpg

Pictures of the opening is up next.

Had almost 200,000 miles on my last Nissan with only a clutch and a alternator to replace. Not to bad so I went with it.

Tanks look awesome! I wish when i was 8 i had such amazing parents like you guys. I'm 19 (architecture student) and my tank's only 22gallons. To be honest i don't think i could handle much more.

Nissan Cube... what can i say, it's one of the biggest design blunders since the PT cruiser. As a car i'm sure it works great, but i just can't get over how awful it looks. SORRYYYY :P

I feel you about the cube as I know it is a little strange looking. I said that about the Scion "shoe box on wheels" but now you see them all over the place. I love and the more I drive it the more I love. It is like green hair algae it grows on you.

Glad to hear you got the light.. No pics yet!?!?!

BTW, nice Cube.. Those things catch my eye everytime I see them..

The light is sweet and I think I am glad that I got the T-5 over the MH. The only thing I wish is that I had the shimmer. I am not sure if I put a LED strip I would get seeing how bright this light is.

Lets start off with the packaging. It was well packaged for shipping as I was on pins and needle as I started to open it. WOOT no damage.

DSC06030.jpg

DSC06035.jpg

Bulbs were nice and secure as well.

DSC06037.jpg

DSC06038.jpg

DSC06039.jpg

Can't forget the mounting legs.

DSC06036.jpg

Now on to the star of the show.

DSC06044.jpg

DSC06049.jpg

DSC06050.jpg

DSC06051.jpg

I will be moving the 75 this weekend out in to the living room so the light will not be up and running fro awhile as I still need to get rid of the fish that do not fit in to the plan. I have a Keyhole Angel, Coral Beauty Angel, Rabbit fish, Halloween Urchin, Purple Spine Urchin and a Pencil Urchin that all need to go. Any one local what them hit me up or I will need to take them to a store and get credit. Below are some test pics and we did throw it up on the tank real quick just to get tan idea of what it will look like.

DSC06052.jpg

DSC06055.jpg

DSC06053.jpg

DSC06054.jpg

DSC06056.jpg

Yes and a little bit of know as it does see really white which is fine not that big of a deal. I do have something I hope you can help me dial in.

I ran the set up like your suggestion

blue+ Switch 1

aquablue Switch 1

blue+ Switch 2

Fiji Purple Switch 2

blue+ Switch 2

6500K Switch 2

UVL super actinic Switch 1

blue+ Switch 1

If I want that cool disco club glowing dusk and dawn affect which should switch 1 or switch 2?

I think the bulbs need a small tweak as I ran switch 1 I saw blue, white , that dull grayish purple and blue. Wouldn't I want to take that white and put it in the middle and switch it out with the Fiji or blue+? Look at picture 3 of the bulbs and I think you will see what I mean.

I do see what you are saying, I think. Sounds like if you want to run that dusk and dawn look then yes you should take the aquablue and switch it with the fiji purple.. if you wanted it even more blue during those times, go with the blue+. It may be a little too purple with the Super Actinic and Fiji Purple running with only 4 bulbs.

Sorry to hear the color wasn't exactly right for ya.. That's the great thing about t5's, you can switch out bulbs until you find what you like.. And it sound like you must like a really really blue tank because that set up there seems very blue to me.. :D

Tempereefer

Sick! I did not like the Fiji purple or equiv in my setup, I switched it out for reg actinic blue, much happier. I went 12k daylight, 420nm actinic, 460nm actinic, and a "red wave" which is more of a full spectrum pinkish bulb. I only have 4x39w though :-(

I am actually jealous of your light.

Worst case scenario we can dremel it in half and put 2x150hqi retros in between each bank of 4 bulbs. LOL j/k......

A dremel might not work, may have to use something else.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

The light looks awesome, glad your happy, the way I run my full spectrum is with white bulbs in the middle, so Im not telling you how to do it, but as a suggestion I'd run it like this

Front-

blue+ Switch 1

blue+ Switch 1

aquablue Switch 2

Fiji Purple Switch 2

blue+ Switch 2

6500K Switch 2

UVL super actinic Switch 1

blue+ Switch 1

-Back

Archived