Innovative Marine Aquariums

40 GALLON BREEDER w/ the new Solana 34 gallon Mantis Shrimp tank

RLC

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have had other fish in with him before and nothing bad has happened. He is a smasher and unless the fish is sick and not swimming well he will leave it alone. We had a fish that would sleep in his cave with him and he never touched it.

hey tank lookin good i just got a clown goby i now you guys got one what does yours favor to munch on? having 2 ... do they get along i heard they might fight ....but they can change from a boy to a girl and may mate ?any imput

DSCN0667.jpg

We feed normal stuff like Mysis or Brine. She did have 2 but we have not seen 1 for awhile. They would hang out together then they would go to different corners only to meet again. We never saw any aggression.

We wish you all the luck with your Clown Goby. :D

Please...She doesn't even let me frag anything to put in my tank. Every time I ask her it is always "NO :angry: ". She is very coral stingy.

• 4 weeks later...

How's the tank going lately RLC? I'm selling my 40 breeder today. Need the money and want to focus on my 90. Hopefully I am able to keep that one.

So it has been a cool weekend as our new tank is here. There will be tons of new pics to come but until then the only hint is that the Mantis tank is being redone from top to bottom. :o

So we are taking down the 29 gallon standard Mantis tank and we are setting up the new 34 gallon Disco Ball Mantis Tank. Since we do weekly water changes on the 75 and the 40 I used that water to fill the tank. I am just grabbing rocks from the 75 to put in the tank. The rock is out of the water for about 20 seconds or less. I am having a little bit of heat so I am picking up a fan this Friday and will put the Mantis in that night. I am still looking at the rock to see what I can add so the pictures here are just early pics but you know how we do it (tons of pics). This tank will have a lot corals SPS and LPS with a splash of Ric's. I should have final rock placement pics up in a day or so as I want to / need to have this done tonight so the Mantis can move in on Friday.

DSC05321.jpg

DSC05322.jpg

DSC05323.jpg

DSC05324.jpg

DSC05325.jpg

DSC05326.jpg

DSC05327.jpg

DSC05328.jpg

DSC05329.jpg

DSC05330.jpg

DSC05331.jpg

DSC05332.jpg

DSC05333.jpg

DSC05334.jpg

DSC05335.jpg

We added a few more rocks and removed 1 rock. We took one out of the 75 that has some Zoa's to see if they will color up like the one our daughters tank. This is the mother colony.

DSC05351.jpg

DSC05352.jpg

DSC05344.jpg

The Mantis will be added tonight but first I have to install the new fan to bring down the temp. I will post pics of the new fan this weekend as it is a sweet looking fan.

DSC05345.jpg

DSC05346.jpg

DSC05347.jpg

DSC05349.jpg

Here is a far away view

DSC05350.jpg

We still may add a few more rock tonight before the Mantis goes in. Also this weekend is the local Frag swap here in the Phoenix valley and I am excited to get some sweet corals to jump start this tank.

So here is a little teaser picture of what has gone on with Solana since last weekend. We went to the FRAG swap here in the Phoenix area and had a fun time. We came home with 6 new frags (3 free and 3 paid cash for). A few mishaps with a couple of the corals but all in all a good time. Enjoy the pic as there will be a lot more posted in the morning. :o

DSC05353.jpg

So far we are really enjoying the Current Solana. I decide to take a chance on Current as they do not have a good track record with us. I have 4 items from them and only 1 works. I have sent them a email about the 25% success rate and they told me oh well as it is over a year old. To which I replied so your product is only good for a year and I will have to replace 75% of everything I buy from you. They should really put that on the box "New and Improved 25% success rate after 1 year". With that said I was on the fence about the Red Sea Max, Cardiff or the Solana. I was looking to do a clean set up for our Mantis Shrimp. Last July we went on vacation and the day before we got back our LFS got him in as I asked them to order us a Mantis Shrimp which took about 3-4 months to get a good size Peacock in. So when we got home there was a message saying I had to call them immediately otherwise they were going to sell him. So I had a normal 29 gallon laying round so I did a quick set up. I always wanted to do a small reef tank with him as the main focal point. I will be adding a fish or 2 and some LPS or SPS. Just not sure which way we will go just yet.

I was reading the reviews of this tank and the guy said he busted a bunch of screws while he was putting in together. In all my wisdom and past experienced with Current I told myself it had to be the guy and he must have messed it up. It wasn't the guy it was Current and the choice they made to save a few pennies on hardware. If you are thinking about getting this tank drive over to Home Depot and spend $3 and upgrade the screws. We had 5 break completely off at the head. I did not use a power drill and I only used my hand power. The screws that hurt this build was the door hinges. All 3 busted off and left bottom door hinge useless and unusable. We did try to super glue it on but the weight ripped it off. I know dumb idea so stop laughing at us because I am getting ready to try it with Epoxy. If that fails you can really laugh at us. Here is the picture of the door hinge. :angry:

DSC05378.jpg

Here is the Mantis waiting to get in his new home.

DSC05354.jpg

DSC05355.jpg

DSC05356.jpg

DSC05357.jpg

DSC05358.jpg

I will post more pics in a hour or so.

So at the FRAG swap this weekend we won 2 corals for signing up to a email list. The first one was a red and blue acan and the second was green clove polyp. We also bought a nice little Hammer coral for $15. So far the Mantis has yanked off 2 out of the 3 corals. The Acan is MIA and the Clove was found but has not opened. The Hammer has been knocked over but still on the frag plug. I glued this morning so I am hoping he will leave it alone as I would like to add more corals. This may turn in to a Zoa only tank as he does not bother them. There will be more about what our daughter got at the frag swap but for now it is about the solana.

Missing Coral...

DSC05364.jpg

DSC05366.jpg

DSC05367.jpg

DSC05368.jpg

DSC05369.jpg

DSC05370.jpg

DSC05371.jpg

DSC05373.jpg

DSC05374.jpg

DSC05383.jpg

Did someone say something about a missing coral? Who you looking at?

DSC05382.jpg

DSC05379.jpg

DSC05380.jpg

Boo...

DSC05381.jpg

Archived