Top Shelf Aquatics

Yellow Watchman Goby in 5.5 SAIO

eddiecorrea

What do you think of a Yellow Watchman Goby in a 5.5 SAIO? I have seen it somewhere done and Im kinda curious what others think of it. Most recommend atleast 10 gallons and I think that might be too small. Just share your thoughts if you could.

It is a big stretch, but the nature of their territories means shrimp gobies and their pistols don't go very far from their burrows. However, I suggest not getting a large shrimp goby like yellow watchman but one of the smaller species like those from the genus Stonogobiops (i.e. yasha hazes, hi fins, draculas).

You would do much better with a nano goby from the genera Trimma, Eviota, Elacatinus/Gobiosoma, and Gobiodon.

First off, dont always trust those minimum gallons posted. For instance, sticking with gobies, it says clown gobies absolute minimum is 10 gallon, which is soo untrue :P

WIth that saidm I would not recommend the yellow watchman. You are stretching it a little too much. If you still want a shrimp goby though, go with a hi fin, I heard those were doable in 5.5 g tanks. They do not grow as large as the yellow watchman will.

Ya I dont want one. I already have one in my 55. I was just wondering what people thought. They get like 3inches long so they pretty much stretch the width of the tank. I wouldnt think thats a good habitat.

angelacbishop

3" long is pretty big for a 16" long tank, especially if you're taking a few inches off the end to make it a AIO. I think a full grown one would look silly in there but a baby might be ok for a short time. I know my YWG in my 60 gallon is the hungriest piggy fish I've ever seen so the bioload seems like it might be high on these guys. For a 5.5 I think it's best to stick with fish that are around 1" or less even if just for proportions sake.

Ya I agree. My YWG in my 55 is a fat lard. He eats a ton. So I would only have to assume he poops alot too. I have a clown goby in my 5.5 so thats all Im planning. That and a bunch of coral.

Archived