My mod thread on my local reef cub LARC-

http://www.lareefclub.com/forum/viewtopic....&highlight=

Here we go B)

First step was to take out the bulbs reflectors and endcaps-

01-07-09newlight002.jpg

01-07-09newlight003.jpg

01-07-09newlight006.jpg

01-07-09newlight022.jpg

Then disconnect the black, white and green/yellow wires of one ballast from the wire nuts where they meet up. For the black, disconnect from after the switch.

01-07-09newlight012.jpg

01-07-09newlight013.jpg

01-07-09newlight015.jpg

01-07-09newlight016.jpg

Next up, legs. Flat aluminium that I had, you can find this at HD-

01-07-09newlight020.jpg

after paint-

01-07-09newlight021.jpg

Plexiglass shield

Had the plexi already :) You can get that at HD too.

Neodyne magnets from the wally world craft section, super glue and a wooden dowel rod=

01-07-09newlight043.jpg

01-07-09newlight046.jpg

ok...whats the point of disconnecting the ballast and using the extension cord?

It only has one cord I believe. Adding another lets you do dusk/dawn cycles.

Finished product - It works!

01-07-09newlight054.jpg

I also made an eggcrate cover, to keep in the critters, out of this-

01-07-09newlight025.jpg

Thanks for looking and I'm happy to answer questions :D

It only has one cord I believe. Adding another lets you do dusk/dawn cycles.

Yep, now I have independent control over each 4 bulb combo so I can dusk/dawn with timers.

Each ballast has it's own power cord now.

is this a sumpless setup with a hob coralife skimmer..??

haha, i have the same skimmer, it sucks as a hob, much better in a sump, i cant believe you dont have a sump.....drill that tank man!

i wouldnt use egg crate, it limits the amount of light penetrating the water. you will notice the tank get brighter when you take it away.

i would do the screen mesh mod with the moldings for frame.

is this a sumpless setup with a hob coralife skimmer..??

haha, i have the same skimmer, it sucks as a hob, much better in a sump, i cant believe you dont have a sump.....drill that tank man!

Haha, yep. No nothing! HOB filter and HOS skimmer only. Ghetto. Running about 2 years.

Hopefully to be upgrading to 125, that's sitting in the garage, soon.

i wouldnt use egg crate, it limits the amount of light penetrating the water. you will notice the tank get brighter when you take it away.

I put egg crate on my tank when I am sleeping or not home to keep fish in..when I put it on or off I see NO difference in the amount of light in the tank

I would think so too but, research on RC seems to indicate that it doesn't block as much as you'd think. IDK.

Yes I went for the quick, cheap and easy as hopefully it won't be needed long.

Got to have something because if my leopard wrasse jumped I'd cry :o

I just bought the 48in fixture and was very disappointed when it only had one switch. Does the 8 bulb fixture have two ballasts? Ill hafto check mine, this would be cool if i could have a dusk/dawn cycles.

I just bought the 48in fixture and was very disappointed when it only had one switch. Does the 8 bulb fixture have two ballasts? Ill hafto check mine, this would be cool if i could have a dusk/dawn cycles.

Yes the 8 bulb fixture has 2 ballast, 2 switches and 1 cord.

I would guess that the 4 bulb only has 1 ballast, so only 1 switch.

• 4 weeks later...

One thought I had was to add a second ballast. They have workhorse 7 ballast in them, but any ballast that fits and can run 2 bulbs would work. I guess you could add a relay or the like but, I'm not sure of the specifics. Sorry.

anyone think of way to stagger the lights on a 4 ulb 48''?

why not just look at the wiring diagram on the ballast, then switch around the wire connections to the endcaps so that each ballast powers every other bulb?

i think i'm going to be turning my 48" 8x54 into a 36" 8x39w. a little dremel action on the housing and reflector, change the wiring to the endcaps to alternate the bulbs, and add that second power cord. i'll probably put a couple of 3-4" cooling fans in the top as well.

EDIT:

sorry, just realized you were talking about the 4-bulb with only one ballast. best thing i can think of is order another ballast, or even two smaller ballasts that are designed for 2 bulbs each, and wire it into the housing by switching up the endcap wires as i said and then using the OP's second cord mod.

Archived