Top Shelf Aquatics

NanoStripe's New RSM Build Thread

nanostripe

Hello!

I've been lurking and reading here for a few months. Thanks for sharing so much great info!

I've assembled a new RSM to sit alongside my 32g freshwater planted tropical tank.

Ingredients:

RSM 34g

Tunze 9002 Skimmer

StevieT Skimmer Cup

StevieT Media Rack

Koralia Deflector

Koralia 2

33lbs Tonga Live Rock

Stealth Heater

Prime Chiller 1/10th HP

Reef Crystals

API Salt Water and Reef Master Test Kits

Refractometer

The rock was previously in a display tank at the LFS. It's covered in purple. :) I soaked and washed the pieces in a bucket of fresh, slightly over-salty water. I'm using Reef Crystals salt mix.

It was setup last night, & I've tested the water for a few days:

1/5/09:

Temp: 78.4F

SG: 1.025

PH: 8.2

Nitrite: 0.00

Nitrate: 0.00

Ammonia: 0.25

Phosphate: 0.25

1/6/09:

Temp: 78.3F

SG: 1.026

Ammonia: 0.00

Phosphate: 0.25 - 0.5

1/7/09:

Temp: 78.3F

SSG: 1.025

Ammonia: 0.25

Phosphate: 0.25

Calcium: 360

I'm not really seeing much of a cycle yet. I might be seeing some diatoms on the sand in the middle of the rocks, but not positive. I've seen a 3/4" starfish once, and some sort of snail/slug last night as well. There are 10-15 Zoo's attached to the rocks, most of which open nicely w/ the lights. I'm running the lights in a restricted timeframe for now, 4 hours the first day, 5.5 hours yesterday, 6 or so today. I don't want the algae going crazygonuts on me too soon. :)

I'll to be ordering replacement hood fans and the new chiller accessory kit from RSM when it's available - hopfully Friday or Monday. Chiller and Skimmer are not integrated into the tank yet. I have a RIO+ 1400 for the chiller pump, but considering that the chiller is immediately below the tank, I'm thinking that might be overkill. It was handy to mix the water though. :)

What should I do if I don't see some meaningful signs of a cycle by this weekend? Crank up the lights and add some snails? Add a piece of frozen food and let it rot?

Here are some pics:

Live Rock #1

RSM_Rock_1.jpg

Live Rock #2

RSM_Rock_2.jpg

Aquascaping:

RSM_AquaScaping_1.jpg

FTS:

RSM_FTS_1.jpg

Left Side:

RSM_Left_Side_1.jpg

Right Side - Hard to see, but there is a path into the center, almost the entire height of this side of the rock.

RSM_Right_Side_1.jpg

Local Wildlife #1

RSM_Life_1.jpg

Local Wildlife #2

RSM_Life_2.jpg

Local Wildlife #3 - Any ideas what this is? It moves like a slug or a snail.

RSM_Life_3.jpg

Thanks again for any advice!

Stripe

:welcome:

Wow! Great aquascape and rock! Just let the tank set for a few weeks and test every now and then. If you do not see any ammonia it is from the rock being fully curred. I wouldn't throw in any dead matter to test the water.

If you see none, check for nitrates, you may have some from the setup. Do a water change after two weeks and test again. If all is in the clear start to add your CUC.

:welcome:

Great looking rock! From the weight you mentioned, I wasn't expecting to see quite so much volume, must be nice and porous.

I agree with Stevie on leaving it alone for a few weeks and see how it tests. On the wildlife, I'm not sure number 1 and 2 are good ones...but I'll leave it to far smarter folks than me to comment.

Good luck!

Ok, I'll just hang tight for a couple weeks. My girlfriend is more antsy than I to see live things crawling around on the rocks. :)

The rock came from Vivid Aquariums in Canoga Park CA: http://www.vividaquariums.com/

They were very helpful in helping me select the right rocks - we went through 3 of their big vats for 30m. They have a lot more of this same stuff in the shop. Their 800g display tank is amazing and they have several large frag tanks too.

Thanks!

rockerpeller

Local Wildlife #3 - Any ideas what this is? It moves like a slug or a snail.

that looks like a stomatella. used to have a few in my old tank

Pretty sure it's a stomotella, caught a decent pic of it today:

RSM_Snail_1.jpg

Also found a couple open ?pallys?. They have green edges and orange centers:

RSM_Coral_1.jpg

Stripe

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been almost 2 weeks! :)

I have brown and green algae on the rocks and sand, as well as on the glass.

I did a 4g water change last weekend, and will do another one this weekend.

Water params have been relatively stable over time, with only the smallest hints of Ammonia and nitrates the 1-2 days after I killed a bunch of Aptasia on the rocks.

I've seen at least one tiny crab (not wonderful, I know) and have lots of pods running around. There ended up being like 15 Zoa's that are opening nicely in the lights now. Bonus w/ the rocks. :)

I feel pretty safe adding a CUC this weekend, maybe ~20 critters? I need an emerald crab too, at least for a while, to get some bubble algae under control too. General consensus seems to be that they are safe for at least a while. Nothing really loose for it to play w/ either.

Water Params, as of this evening:

1/15/09:

Temp: 79.3F

SSG: 1.025

PH: 8.4

Ammonia: 0.00

Phosphate: 0.50

Calcium: 400

ALK: 9 dkh

Thoughts?

Thanks!

--Stripe

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
bonsai reefer

wildlife 1 and 2 are aptasia kill them b4 they spread . Other than that looks to be a good start

Archived