ReefCleaners.org

Is this thing alive?

nova65ss

reefman225gal

Dont look dead to me. It still has color to it. It looks to still be attached to the rock, so for that reason i would say its a juvenile fungia. Look up care for fungia sp

Yeah it is just sitting on the rock not attached to anything. It is hard like a rock and was not the same color when I got it a few months ago. I'll look up Fungia. Thanks,

if it is attached to the rock then you have come across a lucky piece of live rock. There are a few members on here with such a piece, i think one is Diane. In this case you would want to somehow get that 3/4 dead fungia off that rock and let it produce a new fresh one. I'm guessing that one died because it was in a low light live rock tank for quite a while.

If you just placed that plate coral on that peice of rock then you need to try and feed it and give it good light and/or iodine dip.

edit: i see it is not attached to the rock, disregard my rambling.

Put it on your sand. Maybe some babies will grow on it.

Seriously?

It does look like it is flaking? Kind of had some stuff hanging from it last week. I think it is dead. :huh:

Grab it and see if it has any soft tissue on it. If all you feel is brittle calcium that you can crack off, then it is dead.

Grab it and see if it has any soft tissue on it. If all you feel is brittle calcium that you can crack off, then it is dead.

Teeeen Four!

Should I get it out is it hurting anything? I have kinda grown to liking it.

reefman225gal
I have one, and it doesn't attach to anything.
What i meant by being attached is juvenile plates are attached then break off and become free living (not attached)

did you place it on that rock or can it be taken off?

EDIT: Never mind on being attached^^

i could have sworn the top left of the picture looks like orange tissue to me. I would just leave it on the sandbed and try to feed that colored part with any meaty fish food to see if it brings the food to the mouth. If it doesnt do anything, maybe an iodine dip to heal any tissue that remains and then give it some time.

• 4 weeks later...

So based on you guys suggestions I put it on the sand and it seems to be growing some sort of tissue/ baby??? I hope it regrows that would be the sheezy! ;) What do you think? Bottom part with the small hole has some color and looks like it is alive now.

YFMED-1-28-09006.JPG

I was given this for free by the pet store because they said it was dead. I just thought the rock kind of looked cool. There was still a little flesh on it, but everyone told me it was dead. I just set it in the corner under a my powerhead.

dsc02557qr6.jpg

looked like this 2 months later

DSC02703.jpg

and six months later

biocube14.jpg

I was given this for free by the pet store because they said it was dead. I just thought the rock kind of looked cool. There was still a little flesh on it, but everyone told me it was dead. I just set it in the corner under a my powerhead.

That thing is awesome!

When you say tissue, your referring to that greenish bloblike mass in the center of the pic right? Looks like it might be something actually, who knows..lol.

The two pinkish things in the middle of the visible side of the skeleton look like flesh to me. Are they attached? Pinkish/greenish down by the sand.

Archived