inTank Media Baskets

Project100 - Dreamtank

Maeda

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nanoreefnate

nice tank!!! i love how your making a lot of your equipment by yourself! i also like what you did with the reefkeeper....preeeettttyyyyy slick... :D

How stable is the light pendant? Think it would work at 12' long? Is the top a ply mahogany or solid? How thick?

12' ? :lol: I know that's not a typo... man.

It probably could work. The construction is VERY LIGHT weight. The trick is finding 12' pieces of wood that arn't warped to hell to build the frame on.

I used 1/8" mahogany ply. The pendent is pretty light even WITH the ballasts in there. I would definetly hang it from more then 2 points.

Why don't you commision a custom di and get a one-off aluminum extrusion. :)

12' ? :lol: I know that's not a typo... man.

It probably could work. The construction is VERY LIGHT weight. The trick is finding 12' pieces of wood that arn't warped to hell to build the frame on.

I used 1/8" mahogany ply. The pendent is pretty light even WITH the ballasts in there. I would definetly hang it from more then 2 points.

Why don't you commision a custom di and get a one-off aluminum extrusion. :)

I already have a couple of poplar 1x4x144's that are nice and straight (for now) I could chop to build the frame. The ply I figured would have to be doubled up (2 8' sections and 2 4' sections) to get to 12' but was worried about rigidity... It would be hung from 4 points but connected to only 2 cables. The ballasts are out of the pendant, so it only has to support the lights but I don't want it to twist on me. I guess, I'm just asking for your thoughts. I could build it as 3 pieces (not literally but supported in the middle as if) to help support it, but just nervous if it would be a waste of money to attempt. As for the custom, I'm out of money on the project. My wife kindly reminded me of that again tonight. :(

Ha Ha

After seeing the sketch up drawings I thought to myself "Maeda should really how this to calvin"

Lulz

also

EPIC!!!!

I'm out of money on the project. My wife kindly reminded me of that again tonight. :(

I hate when they do that. :D

I THINK you could do multiple pieces if you supported them... Hmm. I would also the upolstry would help hold it together.

What dimension were you thinking? 12'x?x5" ?

I hate when they do that. :D

I THINK you could do multiple pieces if you supported them... Hmm. I would also the upolstry would help hold it together.

What dimension were you thinking? 12'x?x5" ?

Probably be about 12" wide... Just has to hold 4 bulbs wide. Did you find the upholstry at a local fabric store or did you get it through a specialty shop?

Probably be about 12" wide... Just has to hold 4 bulbs wide. Did you find the upholstry at a local fabric store or did you get it through a specialty shop?

That's going tobe another problem... Getting a12ft piece of fabric without any creases is going to a pain. what about 3 lights? that would simplify things...

It's vinyl for boat furniture. You can get it at just about anywhere, and i used some good 3m spray upholstery adhesive.

I guess I just have to hope I can stretch it smooth, or drape it to get any creases out of it. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and advice. :D Guess I'll try to build the structure this weekend.

I guess I just have to hope I can stretch it smooth, or drape it to get any creases out of it. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and advice. :D Guess I'll try to build the structure this weekend.

If you use vinyl, try and iron it with a piece of parchment paper between the vinyl and the iron. Do this before you stretch it.

And make sure you drape the vinyl with a lot hanging over. PULL and staple to the frame.

Cut after a few days. The vinyl has a tendency to shrink. :| I have about 1/8" or just under on one of my sides showing a bit of wood on my light due to shrinkage.

and NP. I wanna see that tank finished! It's been in process around as long as my white whale of a project.

P1030842.jpg

Look. 80$ sitting on the table.

P1030843.jpg

After unsuccessfully using the pins method, I got this. :\ I suck doing this acrylic stuff.

P1030846.jpg

Playing with the router, to fit pipes, as well as smooth edges.

P1030849.jpg

Super anal silicone work.

P1030853.jpg

Dry fit.

The skimmer is all diy with some help from AA in socal. Its run by a modded sicce psk2500(enlarged volute, revise venturi, mesh modded, and a inlet restrictor). I still need to build the new vac-formed 4" neck. I hope people will actually read this instead of ask me the question over and over and over.

great setup. Your DIY skills are great. i can tell every detail was thought of for this tank. i hope it turns out to everything you wanted it to be.

Thanks for the support everyone!

I'm slowly but surely working along. Right not im stuck designing and building peripheral systems (ato things, waterchanging reservoirs, etc.)

I also kind of blew my budget for the month. :mellow: and I have to save up for the impending government rodeo on my ass that is tax time. Damn 1099s, and damn me for not being able to save my money for a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived