Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help with DIY overflows

805fish

1) Need to find a place online that sells pre made falls walls to put around the holes that are drilled on the bottom glass. Any online store i can order some? I just cant seem to find any.

2) I found a buyer for my 29 gallon but still need to set up my 60. He said the longest i can hold it for and still have him buy it is a week. But i would have to let my other tank cycle 1st wouldn't i? And it would take a month? Is there anyways i can go on that? Or just tell him no and wait for another person?

1. It's called an overflow. Try glass holes.com or something like that. If you have silicon, an ace hardware near you, and some plexi, you could easily make one.

2. If your moving your 29 to your 60 then you might have a small cycle, if your using all the rock from the 29.

1. It's called an overflow. Try glass holes.com or something like that. If you have silicon, an ace hardware near you, and some plexi, you could easily make one.

2. If your moving your 29 to your 60 then you might have a small cycle, if your using all the rock from the 29.

Well i been reading all over and saw most called falls walls. Sorry about that. And yes i have all those close by me and consider it but cant find a good place to show how to build one. Whats a good silicone brand and how thick would you say the plexi should be?

and yes im using just all the rock from the 29 and substrate too. Probably would buy dry substrate to as well or maybe a bag of live sand. But think that would cause a little cycles as well.

Thanks

I would make one out of acrylic, or have one made for you.

I had NR user "thecowkid" make mine, I thought it worked out great. You can see pics of it in my tank thread.

I had NR user "thecowkid" make mine, I thought it worked out great. You can see pics of it in my tank thread.

Oh ok. I sent him a message see what he can do for me. If i was to do it, what silicone brand would you suggest? Also how would i go on making the teeth? I cant find any website to show how

Oh ok. I sent him a message see what he can do for me. If i was to do it, what silicone brand would you suggest? Also how would i go on making the teeth? I cant find any website to show how

He should be able to do the teeth and everything for you, so you wouldn't have to worry about it.

I just used standard aquarium silicone, available at all aquarium and/or pet stores.

Tap plastic made mine for super cheap

Can you link me his profile or a post of him? i couldnt find him under the members search

He should be able to do the teeth and everything for you, so you wouldn't have to worry about it.

I just used standard aquarium silicone, available at all aquarium and/or pet stores.

If it comes out cheaper i will probably just make it myself.

Well remember you shouldn't be bonding plexiglass with silicone it doesn't bond well. Use weld-on or something if you are going to be building it yourself. You only use the silicone when binding it to the glass wall.

I second that. Get thecowkid to make you one. I got mine made by him. It's top-notch!

Well remember you shouldn't be bonding plexiglass with silicone it doesn't bond well. Use weld-on or something if you are going to be building it yourself. You only use the silicone when binding it to the glass wall.

Yeah, clarification- you would never want to construct the item with silicone, just use the silicone to bond it to the tank.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, clarification- you would never want to construct the item with silicone, just use the silicone to bond it to the tank.

What if i bought this type thats called 100% silicone? it was int he section where the Plexiglas is at.

that will work.

Thats a relief to hear that. Thanks. So i glued the overflow boxes and they have dried for two days...Here is how they look. They are not glued to the actual glass on the tank yet tough. Can i use this same silicone for that?...Idk if its still to high up or not. And its my 1st DIY and cutting theeth is hard haha but they look legit. Any safe way to paint them? I was thinking spray paint?

Right side

0112092149.jpg

Left Side

0112092149a.jpg

Krylon Fusion for plastic get a second opinion since water is going to be touching it but I'm pretty sure it's safe.

Edit: I got it at wal-mart :)

Yea i was thinking of painting them with Krylon Fusion blue or black but was not sure if it will be reef safe since its inside the water

yes it is... but let it cure for at least 24 hours before addign water... mine came off after a few months being in there

Oh ok. I will try it out. how many layers would be best?

Hate to stop you here but you are going to need a lot more teeth in your overflow if you dont want water coming over the top. That is unless you use a VERY small return pump.

Hate to stop you here but you are going to need a lot more teeth in your overflow if you dont want water coming over the top. That is unless you use a VERY small return pump.

Really? :( Like how many more? Because i got them painted today and idk how i would be able to cut the teeth out now or how besides getting new acrylic again.

Archived