SaltCritters.com

Algae War its winning

Wade20

I inherited a 10 gallon tank from my girlfriends family that was originally set up as a QT tank but was converted to a FO with a 1 year old clown and a chocolate ship starfish as its inhabitants. They had the tank in direct sunlight and the year and a half it was running it accumulated tons of algae. When I was given the tank all 4 walls were covered in algae. I literally couldnt see inside the tank.

So I cleaned the tank, siphoned the sand, changed the filter, added a koralia 1 and shortened the light cycle to 4 hours. I have done everything I can think of to stop this algae and I cant. Teh algae is a green slime. Anybody have any ideas?

Parameters: Ph=8.2, Ammonia Nitrate Nitrite all at 0 ppm, temp at 82

Pictures are right after a 50% WC and after I sifted the sand

ALGAE10.jpg

ALGAECLOSE.jpg

Nana the clown

NANAN.jpg

Choco Star- I know not reef safe

STAR.jpg

Do heavy water changes. Some lights really grow algae too. What kind do you have? Running carbon is beneficial. Running a phosphate removal device would help too. Phosphates are hard to measure, and it's possible to have them even when they are not present in tests.

You need some live rock too. But the fish shouldn't be in there for the first 3 weeks when you add it.

What are you using for filtration? I'd suggest killing the lights for a few weeks. You don't have any corals so it can't hurt. It really just looks like an empty tank with sand and a starfish and clown. Not to sound rude but what's the point?

What filter are you using? and are you using tap water?

I have a Whisper HOB filter and a koralia

Do heavy water changes. Some lights really grow algae too. What kind do you have? Running carbon is beneficial. Running a phosphate removal device would help too. Phosphates are hard to measure, and it's possible to have them even when they are not present in tests.

You need some live rock too. But the fish shouldn't be in there for the first 3 weeks when you add it.

The light is just an 18 watt pc. I will add some lr from my reed

Bring the clownfish and starfish to an LFS for store credit and start the tank from fresh, imo.

I may end up starting it over in a couple weeks if I cant get it to go away, Ive been battling for over a month

What are you using for filtration? I'd suggest killing the lights for a few weeks. You don't have any corals so it can't hurt. It really just looks like an empty tank with sand and a starfish and clown. Not to sound rude but what's the point?

I have the HOB filter as well as a koralia. I have a reef and I totally feel you about the 1 fish thing, It looks so bland to me. I took over this tank to get rid of the algae and when I do they are going to start a reef. I just felt I had a better chance doing so because I have an established reef I can put the fish in and use water as well.

I have turned the lights off and they will continue to stay off over the next few days, I also added a coraline covered rock from my reef. Im hoping the rock and coraline will take all the extra nutrients out of the water.

Archived