Coral Vue Hydros

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

Hi All,

I hope I am in the right forum. I need help trouble shooting my lighting on my BioCube 14. I thought my daylight bulb burned out but when I replaced it with a new bulb, it did not turn on eihter. I pulled the actinic bulb and replaced it with the new and then the old daylight and they both worked. The fans are running when the switch is on so I am not sure what else to check. The only other thing I can think of is the chip but I'm not sure the lights go through them. I know the fans and moon lights do. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I as well as my fish and corals are in he dark. Thanks.

Chris

Edited by benoitcdc
Hi All,

I hope I am in the right forum. I need help trouble shooting my lighting on my BioCube 14. I thought my daylight bulb burned out but when I replaced it with a new bulb, it did not turn on eihter. I pulled the actinic bulb and replaced it with the new and then the old daylight and they both worked. The fans are running when the switch is on so I am not sure what else to check. The only other thing I can think of is the chip but I'm not sure the lights go through them. I know the fans and moon lights do. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I as well as my fish and corals are in he dark. Thanks.

Chris

I'm new to the forum but it sounds like your 10000k light is out and the blue actinic light is still working. Could be that your ballast is actually shot and the lights are ok. The ballast is the box coming off of the light cord.

I had my own question though. I bought a biocube 14 from a friend of a friend. I have no manual for the thing. I am cycling the tank as I write this. What do you recommend I put in chamber 2 between the two drip trays to cut the noise? Currently it sounds like a running faucet. Filter floss isn't cutting it, can I put a bag of carbon in or is that something I should not do during cycling?

Edited by polpolp
Hi All,

Chris

Try swapping ballasts. If you switch ballasts and the light works again then you know thats your problem and you can call Oceanic and get a new one.

I had my own question though. I bought a biocube 14 from a friend of a friend. I have no manual for the thing. I am cycling the tank as I write this. What do you recommend I put in chamber 2 between the two drip trays to cut the noise? Currently it sounds like a running faucet. Filter floss isn't cutting it, can I put a bag of carbon in or is that something I should not do during cycling?

People like to put cheato or carbon in the middle chamber. Try raising your water level to combat the noise. Ignore the level indicator and just keep filling it up until the noise stops.

I'm new to the forum but it sounds like your 10000k light is out and the blue actinic light is still working. Could be that your ballast is actually shot and the lights are ok. The ballast is the box coming off of the light cord.

Hi polpolp,

The lights work fine so it must be the ballast.

+1 for what uwwmatt said. Ignore the water level lines on the tank and fill the chambers up until the noise is gone. I widened the opening between chamber 1 and 2 for better flow and I have floss at the top of chamber 2. The only noise I have is from the fans which also need to be replaced. When I hear water trickeling, I know its time to top off.

Try swapping ballasts. If you switch ballasts and the light works again then you know thats your problem and you can call Oceanic and get a new one.

People like to put cheato or carbon in the middle chamber. Try raising your water level to combat the noise. Ignore the level indicator and just keep filling it up until the noise stops.

Hi uwwmatt,

Thanks. Its the ballasts all right. I'll give Oceanic a call and have them send me a new one. Might try upgrading at the same time while I have the top off!

Anyone running the MJ900 Utility pump? Says max flow is 247 gph @ 10W vs the regular MJ900 -230 gph @ 8.5W. Wanted to know if one was preferred over the other.

I run the Rio 6hf in my 29 biocube.

Maxi-Jet 1200

• V/Hz: 120V/60Hz

• Wattage: 20W

• Max Flow: 295gph

• Max Pumping Height: 69"

• Dimensions: 3.5" L x 2" W x 3.25" H

• About $20.00

Rio 6HF

• V/Hz: 120V/60Hz

• Wattage: 15W

• Max Flow: 350gph

• Max Pumping Height: 72"

• Dimensions: 3.9" L x 2" W x 2.5" H

• About $30.00

octoberfest

Here are some pictures of my home made biocube frag rack.

What you need:

Egg crate - get this at lowes in the light area, they might call it overhead light difusers

Zip Ties - I get these at lowes and the little 4" ones will work just fine

Side Cutters - normally used for cutting wire

I didn't take any in process pictures but it will be pretty easy to figure out.

First I started by cutting the platform for the frags to the size I wanted. I made it large enough so that it will fit in between my return outlet and my Koralia pumps.

Second I cut the "in-the-tank" legs long enough to keep the frag platform low enough under the water level so that any frags I wanted would stay at least 1" below the water's surface. Some people may want it different.

Third I cut two spacers to put between the "in-the-tank" legs and the "in-the-sump" legs.

Fourth I cut the "in-the-sump" legs the same length as the other legs.

Fifth I installed the zip ties somewhat lose and test fitted the rack. Once it was where I wanted it I tightened it all up.

The only thing I'd consider doing different is making a rail around the edge, my snails and hermits have found their way up to here and have knocked off some frags every now and again.

fragtrack005.jpg

layoffpic001.jpg

fragtrack.jpg

Fragpana.jpg

does the 6 hf fit nicly in the bc14 or do you have to smush it in there. i have a maxi 12 and it is loud. wife is kicking the tank out the bedroom because the noise

This website gives amazing information...its helped a lot! i have a 29g and I would like to be added to the list of biocube users...if possible :)

www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=201240

Thanks!

wow just filled a biocube 29 half up and it started to leak like the titanic from the rear chambers. out on to my floor. wonderful

Yikes, did you buy it new?

Yikes, did you buy it new?

yep.... cleaning up as i type this.... and keeping all my corals and rock in t ub... for the time being.... hopeuflly they will be okay till i can get something done about this.... does anyone else have an experience like this???

yep.... cleaning up as i type this.... and keeping all my corals and rock in t ub... for the time being.... hopeuflly they will be okay till i can get something done about this.... does anyone else have an experience like this???

Not with leaking tanks but if you bought it new from a pet/fish store you should be able to return it for a replacement. You can also call Oceanic at 800.255.4527 from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm (CST). Oceanic's warranty states they cover leaks and cracks for the first 24 months. It further states they will either repair or replace the tank at thier option at no charge. I've had to call them on 2 sepparate occasions for repair issues and they were pleasant and sent me the replacement parts at no charge. HTH. Let us know it goes.

Chris

i have an AWESOME lfs that fixed it for me ASAP. on a sunday of all days. =)

(for those wondering eye candy aquariums in the OC truly takes care of their customers)

but in another question.... what pump is better for our tanks?

eheim compact? rio hf 6? i know ppl say the eheim is super quiet but is the rio as quiet? or does it pump as much as it says it does???

(for those wondering eye candy aquariums in the OC truly takes care of their customers)

eheim compact? rio hf 6? i know ppl say the eheim is super quiet but is the rio as quiet? or does it pump as much as it says it does???

Congratulations on getting your tank fixed. Having a lfs that helps out is great. We have one here as well and they are good sports for putting up with all my silly questions!!! They are very knowledgeable and will save you money by telling you that you really do not need to buy various items from them.

As for the pump, I am using the stock pump that came with my BC 14. It seems to be fine.

I have the Rio and its quiet. I do not have any experience with the Eheim.

• 3 weeks later...
HighCurrent

Ok so I decided that I REALLY like my pico but I wanted to step up my tank size but still stay nano. So I'm setting up a bc14. Im obviously doing all the standard mods. Knock out the 1st chamber false floor, through out the bio balls drip tray and shelf in the second chamber. Get a MH for it or possibly go led if I can get the $ together for it. But the sweet news about that Im actually stoked about is that I'm gonna be working stevieT to put together a small dry doc for my 2nd chamber. Im sure you all guessed I'm going to put a MP10 in the dry doc. I'd have it done locally or do it myself but with the MP10 being inside it, I wanna know for sure that its gonna stay sealed for a very long time.

My main question though is do any of you think the with it being higher up in the tank instead of in the dead center that the function of the vortech is going to work properly or am I just gonna have way too much linear rotation?

I want to run the tank as bare bottom. Either all sps or sps-zoa reef. Obviously why I want the flow.

Im also going to run a sump behind the tank as some have you im sure have seen on here. So I can have my fuge, heater, reactor, skimmer, ato, and the bigger water volume. I have to bite that bullet since I would lose my room for a skimmer with the dry doc there. I know that I could set this up in larger tank with less headache but I wanna do it a bc14. I think it will be ridiculously sweet!

Please let the answers and comments flood in!! lol

Thanks in advance, as I know I'm in the best place on the interweb for answers to these thoughts!

Edited by HighCurrent

I set up my 14 gallon biocube and I want to put some cheato and a small light in the second chamber. Will a 5 watt submersible led work or do I need more light than that ?

But the sweet news about that Im actually stoked about is that I'm gonna be working stevieT to put together a small dry doc for my 2nd chamber. Im sure you all guessed I'm going to put a MP10 in the dry doc. I'd have it done locally or do it myself but with the MP10 being inside it, I wanna know for sure that its gonna stay sealed for a very long time.

What is the dry doc? Is it the same thing as the media rack?

Biocube 14 LED Upgrade

post-45079-1248993672_thumb.jpg

LED's are only at 20% power in pic

!!!!JOIN THE LED REVOLUTION!!!!

- Lower Tank Temperatures

- Get the Light Shimmer Effect

- Potential Cost Savings

- Grow More Light Demanding Corals

- Control Color Temp and bring out the vibrant colors of your coral

Comprehensive DIY LED Project List