Cultivated Reef

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

I'm just getting back into reef tanks after about 10 years of not having a tank. I am picking up a Biocube 32 today that I got at an amazing price and really excited to get it up and running. This tank comes with the two extra fuge baskets too, and it looks like having a chaeto filter refugium is what a lot of people are doing with these tanks. What is the benefit of this for the tank? Is that something that would be helpful for my Biocube 32? Is it also necessary to add a skimmer to this setup?I'm interested in keeping corals and maybe two clownfish.

Another thing I was wondering about is live rock. Back a decade ago, I would get awesome uncured live rock from my lfs and cycle the tank with that and some fresh live sand. The stores I used to go to have all closed and the few remaining have a poor selection of pricey live rock or this "reel reef" manmade live rock that doesn't have the actual life on it. It's looking like I'm going to have to order live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater to get what I want or what I'm used to. Is fresh live rock not even necessary anymore?

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat as you @smileystef. I used to have a 220G reef about 10 years ago. It was too much time with the kids. Now they're older, I have more time for the hobby so I just got a second hand led Biocube 32.

The hobby has changed a bit from the 2000s. Like you said it was more about getting live rock from the store or from other reefers. Now it is not recommended because you can have bad hitchhikers and it it less eco-friendly. I have just ordered CaribSea Live Sand from Amazon and will get eventually get some dry rock. This seems to be the new way to quickly cycle a tank without having unwanted critters.

I do have a question concerning the water level. The water level in my cube is pretty high, it gets on the first plastic ledge. Is that normal? 

• 2 months later...

Hi all,
First time post.
SO..I realize that Nano-Reef Forum is more about Saltwater Reef tanks than Freshwater tanks.

SO...This thread may die on the branch so to say but I have always liked both.

The BioCube's are predominantly known for Reef Tanks...however I thought that I would share a different view on a Cube.

I was gifted a BioCube 29 at Christmas from my Niece.
Rather than turn it in to a Saltwater Reef tank my plans are to turn it into a Brichardi Cichlid tank.

What I've done so far:

1) I Removed the Plastic Rear filter area. it's not needed for my Cichlids and instead gives them more room to swim around.

SO

2) I Scraped off the black Paint from the Rear glass..I'll put a background scene there.
3) I've removed the old Silicone to re-seal the tank...shown in picture below.

743415836_BioCube29LookingintobackBottom.thumb.jpg.7179356ed7357eac7d8635e35a685392.jpg

4) I built a Stand for the Cube

You can see in the picture above the 2x4 build of the stand.

Two 2x4 square frames for Top & Bottom. the size for the cube then four 2x4 boards for height placed in the Frame's inside corners.

Next I placed four 2x4's onto the outside of the inner height 2x4's and between the upper and lower frames.

1/2" Birch Plywood on the front and 1/4" ply for the sides.

This stand could easily support a much larger tank but I'd rather have more than less.

148067852_BioCube29inNewStand.thumb.jpg.c7b29cce8659519ae8701061c403c01e.jpg

Let's talk Cube Re-Seal:

The Cube is from 2010 and the Silicone was flipping up at the edges and I knew I needed to reseal it.

When I I pulled off the Plastic Side plates I saw this gap between the back and front glass filled with silicone.

475696728_BioCube29GlassGapwithSiliconeRightSide.thumb.jpg.f5704ac96a9b95aa513450a17da564d0.jpg

I have never seen a Tank built like this and from other posts I've read from people Re-Sealing their Cube this is a standard practice in building these Oceanic tanks.

After I cleaned out the Silicone this is the gap between the back pane of Glass and the front.

The Gap is larger at the bottom and closer at the top.

:802279976_BioCube29GlassGapLeftRear.thumb.jpg.3d4fc621c00f0630a3ee37085cdcc3e7.jpg

Both sides to the back glass have this gap that is almost 1/4" at the bottom and the touching at the top.

I have ordered GE SCS 1203 Black Silicone to seal the tank and glass gaps up the rear sides.
So hopefully the Tank will seal up OK.

5) My Niece did not have anything for the Lights in the hood.
I have had a hard time finding the Specs for the 3 LED Strips.
From what I can gather the Oceanic has 2 ballasts that the 6 pin connectors plug into.

Does anyone know what the LED Light Strips Plug into.
What the LED Light Specs are? DC Volts?
Plug Connector Specs Inner Positive or Negative etc.

I'm debating just gutting the hood and installing something like a
Hygger Auto On Off LED Aquarium Light Extendable 12-17 Inches 7 Colors Sunrise Sunset Full Spectrum Light Fixture for Freshwater Planted Tank Build in Timer

https://www.amazon.com/Hygger-Extendable-Aquarium-Dimmable-Lights/dp/B08L7SWFC4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=172PEKN5Z90AE&dchild=1&keywords=hygger%2Bauto%2Bon%2Boff%2Bled%2Baquarium%2Blight&qid=1610312715&sprefix=Hygger%2Bauto%2BOn%2BOff%2Cpets%2C172&sr=8-5&th=1

I know that this is a very different Freshwater setup from all the BioCube Saltwater Tank setups that I have seen in this thread.

Still Any thoughts anyone has on my Cube Repair / Lights / Build would be welcomed.

Great Forum..

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 4:09 PM, BudsBio said:

Hi all,
First time post.
SO..
My plans are to turn it into a Cichlid or Community tank.

What I've done so far:

1) I Removed the Plastic Rear filter area. it's not needed..I'm going to use a HOB Filter.

I also Scraped off the black Paint from the Rear glass..I'll put a background scene there.
I've removed the old Silicone to re-seal the tank.

743415836_BioCube29LookingintobackBottom.thumb.jpg.7179356ed7357eac7d8635e35a685392.jpg

2) Last weekend I built a Stand for it.

148067852_BioCube29inNewStand.thumb.jpg.c7b29cce8659519ae8701061c403c01e.jpg

The Cube is from 2010 and the Silicone was flipping up at the edges and knew I needed to reseal it.

I pulled off the Plastic Side plates and I saw this gap filled with silicone.

475696728_BioCube29GlassGapwithSiliconeRightSide.thumb.jpg.f5704ac96a9b95aa513450a17da564d0.jpg

I cleaned out the Silicone and have this gap between the back pane of Glass and the front. 39.76 kB · 0 downloads

I have never seen a tank manufactured like this with an actual Gap between glass panels.
:802279976_BioCube29GlassGapLeftRear.thumb.jpg.3d4fc621c00f0630a3ee37085cdcc3e7.jpg

Both sides to the back glass have a gap that is almost 1/4" at the bottom and the touching at the top.

I have ordered the GE SCS 1203 Black Silicone to seal the tank and glass gaps up the rear sides.
So hopefully the Tank will seal up OK.

My Niece did not have anything for the Lights in the hood.
I have had a hard time finding the Specs for the 3 LED Strips.
From what I can gather the Oceanic has 2 ballasts that the 6 pin connectors plug into.

Hygger Auto On Off LED Aquarium Light Extendable 12-17 Inches 7 Colors Sunrise Sunset Full Spectrum Light Fixture for Freshwater Planted Tank Build in Timer

https://www.amazon.com/Hygger-Extendable-Aquarium-Dimmable-Lights/dp/B08L7SWFC4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=172PEKN5Z90AE&dchild=1&keywords=hygger%2Bauto%2Bon%2Boff%2Bled%2Baquarium%2Blight&qid=1610312715&sprefix=Hygger%2Bauto%2BOn%2BOff%2Cpets%2C172&sr=8-5&th=1

I know that this is a very different Freshwater setup from all the BioCube Saltwater Tank setups that I have seen in this thread.

Still Any thoughts anyone has on my Cube Repair / Lights / Build would be welcomed.

Great Forum..

Hi, and welcome! So sorry, it looks like this thread doesn’t get a whole lot of traffic. I know it’s been a while since you posted... have you already sorted everything out? 

• 2 weeks later...

Since my initial post I sealed the Cube with GE SCS 1203 Black Silicone...you need to work fast with this silicone.

The end result Is not Pretty but it sealed good..The bottom will be covered with sand anyway.

To seal the rear gaps I cut a piece of X-Ray Plastic film folded it for a crease and then I taped it around the outer corner on the glass.

That way I could squeeze the silicone into the gaps and it will not just ooze out the sides but fill the gap flush with the outer glass.

After I was done I removed the Plastic film and used a razor blade to run smoothly down the outer glass.

I let the Sealed Cube sit for just over 4 days.. it took that long for the Silicone smell to go away.

I did a water test outside for a little over 24 hours....there were no leaks.

Finally I Put the tank back on it's stand and started ordering what I need to make it a Neolamprologus brichardi tank.

Most items found at Amazon (Prime - Free Shipping)

Sponge Filter

Air Tubing (LFS)

No-Clog Air Stones

SunSun CT-202 Adjustable Air Pump

ViaAqua 300-Watt Quartz Glass Submersible Heater with Built-In Thermostat

SeaChem Cichlid Lake Salt

Carib Sea African Sahara Sand ( LFS for $25.00 per 20lb bag.)

Hygger Aquarium Programmable LED Light, Full Spectrum Plant Fish Tank Light Extendable Brackets with LCD Setting Display, IP68 Waterproof, 7 Colors, 4 Modes

SeaChem Prime

Tetra 6 in 1 Test Strips

API - High PH & Ammonia Test Kits

I found a Rock from the Intracoastal Waterway here in South Florida

I boiled it in a mixture of Bleach & Water.

As the water heated up and before I added Bleach a Salamander lizard crawled out of the Rock and stood on the side of the pot LOL.

I carefully picked him up and took him outside.

I now plan on setting up the Cube and let the tank cycle and become stable before adding Brichardi

154492368_BioCubeWIPSiliconeSeal.thumb.jpg.09d38bd8bdeb9ebea25aa8a571889acf.jpg

BioCube WIP Front with Rock.jpg

BioCube WIP Rock.jpg

BioCube WIP Front 1.jpg

• Like 1
On 1/22/2021 at 12:46 PM, Ladytank said:

Hydor 240

Oh that’s weird... I wrote a reply to this but it never posted apparently, I’m sorry. I used that powerhead when I started my 16... it worked fine I just upgraded to pumps with adjustable flow patterns and rates rather than constant flow. 

9 hours ago, BudsBio said:

Since my initial post I sealed the Cube with GE SCS 1203 Black Silicone...you need to work fast with this silicone.

It's not Pretty but it sealed good

I let it sit for 4 days and did a water test...there were no leaks.

Put the tank back on it's stand and started ordering what I need to make it a Neolamprologus brichardi tank.

Sponge Filter & Tubing

SunSun CT-202 Adjustable Air Pump

ViaAqua 300-Watt Quartz Glass Submersible Heater with Built-In Thermostat

SeaChem Cichlid Lake Salt

Carib Sea African Sahara Sand

Hygger Aquarium Programmable LED Light, Full Spectrum Plant Fish Tank Light Extendable Brackets with LCD Setting Display, IP68 Waterproof, 7 Colors, 4 Modes

SeaChem Prime

Tetra Test Strips

I found a Rock from the Intracoastal Waterway here in South Florida

I boiled it in a mixture of Bleach & Water.

Hopefully it will be ok.

I now plan on setting up the Cube and put in a few Community fish to let the tank cycle and become stable before adding Brichardi @$15.00 each

154492368_BioCubeWIPSiliconeSeal.thumb.jpg.09d38bd8bdeb9ebea25aa8a571889acf.jpg

BioCube WIP Front with Rock.jpg

BioCube WIP Rock.jpg

BioCube WIP Front 1.jpg

Looking good. I know nothing about cichlids, look forward to seeing what you come up with. Did you start a tank thread? 

Update:

I installed a Hygger LED Auto Light into hood.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FSQHV56/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used Plastic Ties and Cut a hole in the top of the hood so I had access to the Digital Display.

Crude but it works.

604369521_CubeLEDInstalled.thumb.jpg.3ea425a0822d59d816c79352dc3b00af.jpg

422230655_CubeHoodTop.thumb.jpg.1add46372c80cc2d51c7e177f31ea086.jpg

I added a Rock Background but just taped in because I have a Waterfall Background still coming.

1875474726_CubeRocksBackground.thumb.jpg.90b41768e6e551a05a44f5154230d870.jpg

My plan is to have fish in it by Superbowl.

• Like 1

Ladytank asked, What size tank is that.

It is a Oceanic BioCube 29G

With the Rear filter area removed and the rear glass black paint scraped off.

_------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today the Waterfall Background that I was waiting on from China arrived.

I like it better than the Rocks shown above.

It will be interesting to see it will the Sand etc in the Tank.

I think it will be a like it or hate it...but so far I like it.

Looking into the tank from across the room it looks really good in the tank.

2062171458_CubewithWaterfallBackground2.thumb.jpg.aadc21eed20613ce7bdde74476a2d75e.jpg

It was a Peel & Stick process. that went rather well.

Tomorrow I finally add Sand, Water & Fish.

It will ultimately be a Neolamprologus brichardi tank.

The Video below mentions a 40 Gallon Breeder Tank but I only plan on having 2 to 3 Pair

I ran into a Couple at a local fish store that has a 29g BioCube as a Brichardi tank and they said that it works out very well.

Their Brichardi are Breeding all the time.

When the Fry reach junior size they move them to another tank.

Because Brichardi likes to be placed into a fully cycled tank....tomorrow I will just put some inexpensive fish into it so it will cycle,

Once the tank is fully Cycled I will add the Brichardi.

So even after tomorrow I will have awhile to go before it is officially a Brichardi tank.

Later on I plan on adding a large Corner Tank 65 gallons +

But the Cube will suffice for now and after I get my Corner tank.

Cube with water...Super Bowl Sunday Morning...

Notice the black holes in the China Cheap Background you can see through.

I'm not sure what happened to it over night.

So I'll have to replace that.

It's been a journey....
* Break out the plastic rear filter area
* Scrape off the black paint from the rear glass
* Strip out the old silicone and Re-Seal with GE SCS 1203 Black Silicone

* Build a Stand and Paint it
* Add a Waterfall Background to the rear glass.
* Clean the CaribSea African Cichlid "Sahara Sand" and add to the Cube.
* Added a Air Pump & Sponge Filter.
* Add a rock from the Intracoastal after Boiling in Water & Bleach.
* Added Water treated with SeaChem Prime and SeaChem Cichlid Lake Salt.

* Install the Heater and dial in a 79 to 80 degree F Temp.

After what I felt was a thorough washing of the Sand it took about 12 hours for the water to become Clear.

Now let it Cycle and add fish.....almost there.

531419708_CubewithWater.thumb.jpg.62db382851d4d633b91ae023512c1743.jpg

Glass Fish which may or may not stay in the Tank.

The glass globe with a Jelly Fish suspended inside has tentacles that you can't see.

I would like to set it on a LED disc with the light shining up and through the globe.

The Jelly fish glows green when the white lights go off ..... so when the Moon Light comes on the Jelly Fish glows Green.

@BudsBio yes you should absolutely start a tank thread. It’s a great reference point for yourself at anytime down the road. You’ll be surprised at what it can do for you later on. Also a fish in cycle is considered inhuman and is an outdated way of cycling a tank. Your fish will literally burn at the gills for weeks. Considering another option is well advised. You could use a piece of shrimp from the grocery store and let it sit for a few days. Dose bacteria or an ammonia method. Few other options to consider that are far easier and don’t torture anything living. Not trying to hate or make you feel bad. Just some information to hopefully steer you into another option. Good luck!

Update: Cycling the Cube for Fish.

I took my water into local Fish Store had it tested and found out that I needed to help the Cubes Cycle.

I purchased FritzZyme TurboStart 700 Concentrated Live Nitrifying Bacteria.

After treating my tank (capful every other day for a week) to Cycle today I had my water tested again and was told that it all tested good.

So a little over a week of Cycling I have added my first Brichardi Cichlid to the Cube.

If all goes well over the next few days I will add some friends for him.

Thanks for the responses.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
saltyfishwater
On 1/10/2021 at 6:09 PM, BudsBio said:

Hi all,
First time post.
SO..

@BudsBio it looks like you have an older Oceanic 29 Biocube?  I'm contemplating getting the same thing 2nd hand.  Can you answer a few questions please?

I'm planning on using one of the back filter chambers as a refugium for chaeto - by putting a light against the glass from the outside.  You mentioned you scrapped off the black paint.  How did that go for you?  Was the black pain on the outside of the tank, so you didn't have to remove the back filter section in order to scrape the black paint off?  From the pictures, it looks like you were able to scrape off the paint from the entire back glass section?

I didn't see a before picture of the light hood.  Did it have compact flourescents like this?  Did you just rip out the entire thing and replaced it with the amazon light?
image.png.8e0b05c7c889f023a8ce10ceb0524561.png

Thanks for posting those pictures.  The tank I'm getting is pretty old and I'm wondering if I need to reseal it.  But in order to do that, I'd need to remove the back filter section to do a good job.  Is it possible to remove the back filter, reseal, and then put it back?

Hi saltyfishwater,

Let me answer your questions..

As far as the black paint on the back of the Cube.

I am pretty sure that I used this Razer Scraper that I got at WalMart

I sat at my couch with the front of the cube on the carpet and the back glass facing up at me.

Then I started to scrape off the black paint.

It came off fairly easy and when the Razer Blade was not getting off the paint I put on a fresh blade.

Holding the Raxer blade at like a 45 degree angle.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-22-Piece-Extendable-Scraper-Set-with-Blades/915836837

I also used it to scrape out the old Silicone as well as just using a single edge razor blade in my hand.

As far as removing the rear filter area and putting it back in after you reseal the Cube.

You can carefully try though I think it would be difficult.

OR

Just take it all out and then make your own area after you seal the tank.

Using Glass or Plexiglass it would not be hard.

You see people on you tube building tanks and filter areas all the time.

Plus over time the Filter area can get white and nasty anyway.

For the light hood because the lights did not work Yes I gutted everything.

You can see a picture of the gutted hood in my February 5th Post above.

Unscrew the Plastic cover..the lights lift out and then unscrew the thin metal cover and go from there.

I removed everything and cut the main wiring cords that go out the back.

I removed the fans too.

I left the top switches in place just so I did not have a hole in the top.

I initially thought to Dremel off the screw posts so the light sat flush inside the hood but I did not.

In the end I feel that the screw posts let the light mount into the hood and leave a space around it for cooling.

Ironically I just sent the TaiTan LED Light back to Amazon because the light started having some issues.

I have a replacement arriving tomorrow.

But there are a lot of options for lights that can be installed inside the hood.

Then again some people put a overhead light and remove the hood altogether.

I'll get back with some pictures.

I thought I took more pictures while taking out the filter but looks like I didn't

Here is a picture that highlights in Red where the Filter area is Siliconed in.

If you look to the left and right of the two red lines on the bottom glass coming from the rear glass forward into the Cube you can see some black silicone that I still had to scrape off.

970605741_FilterAreaRedEdit.thumb.jpg.212ba79ddd6f8da9ed96a81ec811b441.jpg

I removed the Side panels that you see in the picture above.

Removed below.

The panels have locking tabs top and bottom that slip into the Top and Bottom Plastic Cube Rim.

1571679689_CubeNoSidePanel.thumb.jpg.4051dfc215d9c6277811fb712c198e55.jpg

Below you can see the Siliconed Gap (marked in Red)  between the back Glass and the front Glass

To clean out the old silicone in this gap took me the longest time.

I used a singly  edged Razer blade in the gap.

You can see this Gap in a before and after in the January 10th Post above.

Then to fill this gap I took a thin piece of plastic folded it over the corner and Taped it into place so the Silicone would not just ooze out through the gap.

1541572452_CubeNoSidePanelSiliconeGapinRed.thumb.jpg.95d5056385cdfc3d47e86bfa04dea09b.jpg

Update:

So my Cube has been changing and evolving..

I have added Rock Caves and Plants

146094968_CubePlantsFront1.thumb.jpg.4e88e7cad1e141e8e348d4ef652bdbb5.jpg538457265_CubePlantsFront2.thumb.jpg.f880931cf18bf55e885a355abbfc43d2.jpg337629117_CubePlantsLaeftSide.thumb.jpg.6f4a5ab93ee5d997a01df78a95aa178f.jpg943203078_CubePlantsFront3.thumb.jpg.8c86b473f5d08d63d650208a8d81ba17.jpg1830029059_CubePlantsRight1.thumb.jpg.eac26a80ce8e6ade981d41f2dbcc7761.jpg1349993163_CubePlantsRight3.thumb.jpg.092897f81d2125ccdd5db2b811c9ddf7.jpg465918540_CubePlantsPotStickers.thumb.jpg.ccc1df870359b98d957bfc4a60d44fbe.jpg

In the next few weeks I will probably need to trim off various leafs that did not make the stress of the move to my Cube.

The Large Leaf Anubias Nana Can be cut into 4 plants and then I will Super Glue Gel them to some rocks so their location is Temporary at this point.

I have ordered Aquarium C0-Op's "Easy Green" Liquid Fertilizer.

I will be picking up some API Root Tabs for the Substrate Planted Crypto Bronze Tropica.

I will also be adding about 5 more Brichardi to the Cube.

I propagated my Anubias Nana from 2 plants to 4 Plants by cutting the Rhizome.

Next I Super Glue Gel'd them to 4 rocks.

I placed 2 in the Front and 1 on each side.

Here are the Pics.

Find the Brichardi's in Pic 1,2,3, & 4

1433023179_NewPlantSetupF2.thumb.jpg.e52b2c7d2e53fdb1c839dce603bbe9b9.jpg177237297_NewPlantSetupLeftSide.thumb.jpg.c1625de0fb32d220dfc6d5ed589a139a.jpg1727500788_NewPlantSetupRightSide1.thumb.jpg.6718af7826c920b3c0fbe0448bd0c7d9.jpg1918230156_NewPlantSetupRightSide2.thumb.jpg.699ad6e7557f4300e946ad17f8c5563b.jpg

New Plant Setup F1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After having 2 TaiTan Auto On/Off Lights fail on me I decided to go with a Fluval 3.0 15" 22w light.

I was able to use the same holes and hood cutout that I used for the previous light.

I was curios if the Fluval 15" 22w light would provide enough coverage for my Cube.

I am happy to say that it does.

I used Plastic Ties to secure the Fluval to the inside of the Hood.

I would imagine that this should work whether the Cube is Fresh or Saltwater.

Here's the Pictures:

1224121510_BioCube-Fluval3.0MountedinHood1.thumb.JPG.7d8a3dbb33c445868868111fcb52aa47.JPG

1530742132_BioCube-Fluval3.0MountedinHood2.thumb.JPG.a18309dc8f050f70a072a70024b27504.JPG

Plastic Ties Holds it into hood.

The Hoods original Plastic screw posts that the Fluval rests on leaves a space around the Fluval for ventilation.

124986362_BioCube-Fluval3.0TiedDown.thumb.JPG.efd5757ee9e383b1ddc9a8918632eb4c.JPG

Cutout For Fluval Switch

Though bigger than I would prefer from the old light still allows me to press the Fluval's switch should I need to.

1639137605_BioCubeFluval3.0Controls.thumb.JPG.7f1f97ac70d4a910ef0bf0777dc87bbd.JPG

Cube Lit With Fluval 3.0

267823356_BioCubewithFluval3.0Light.thumb.JPG.9030d72849e58de810b520b915d792d3.JPG

So far I Love this Little Light.

It's not a cheaper $30.00+ light but I ended up going through 2 of those.

Unless the Fluval craps (It does have a 3 year Warranty) out it is worth every penny!

FYI If your BioCube Lights die this is an easy to do option.

• Like 1