Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

Five.five-six

The hood I have has 2 fluorescents (1 blue and one white) and some moon lights.  There seems to be 4 sockets and a switch for additional lights.  I'm trying to figure out how to fill those slots.  I know the hot ticket would be to put a clamp on kessil ore even better   Would be a G4 pro but my wife likes the way the stock hood looks and a clamp on is out of the question 

Simulated Fish
On 7/15/2017 at 9:26 PM, Five.five-six said:

The hood I have has 2 fluorescents (1 blue and one white) and some moon lights.  There seems to be 4 sockets and a switch for additional lights.  I'm trying to figure out how to fill those slots.  I know the hot ticket would be to put a clamp on kessil ore even better   Would be a G4 pro but my wife likes the way the stock hood looks and a clamp on is out of the question 

Remove the guts and put the G4S in the hood, behind the splash if it will fit.

Can you post a pic of the hood underside, so I can see the lights. Sounds like you might have an old version.

• Like 1
Five.five-six
15 hours ago, Hippieheadshot said:

Remove the guts and put the G4S in the hood, behind the splash if it will fit.

Can you post a pic of the hood underside, so I can see the lights. Sounds like you might have an old version.

I'll post a pic this weekend.   What's a G4S?  Google wants to show me galaxy phones.  

Five.five-six
1 minute ago, Damon Omar said:

@Five.five-six Yes I have had the same issue with my stand.  I think I am going build my own stand.  The stand doesn't seem very sturdy to me.

Before you do that, I am going to glue some gussets in place and see if that helps.  I'll let you know.  It's a good looking stand but I live in earthquake territory.   

Simulated Fish
On 7/18/2017 at 10:00 AM, Five.five-six said:

I'll post a pic this weekend.   What's a G4S?  Google wants to show me galaxy phones.  

Lol typo ment 4 pro, as in gut the biocube's lights and put the G4 in behind the splash guard.

• Like 1
Five.five-six
8 hours ago, Hippieheadshot said:

Lol typo ment 4 pro, as in gut the biocube's lights and put the G4 in behind the splash guard.

That makes a lot more sense

I'm considering either a MP10 or a 6105 for flow, I like the MP10 because of the external heat and smaller wet side, but I like the 6105 because it's amiable.     Any thoughts? Anybody?

Five.five-six
On 7/18/2017 at 8:27 AM, Damon Omar said:

@Five.five-six Yes I have had the same issue with my stand.  I think I am going build my own stand.  The stand doesn't seem very sturdy to me.

I made gussets from a piece of 2X6 cut diagonally and glued them in the back bottom with real wood glue and the improvement was substantial.  you can get scraps of 2x6 from the cull pile of any lumber yard really cheep.  I'll glue 2 more in the top this weekend and post pictures but wobbly is not a reason to build a new stand as gussets solve the problem cheep and easy.  

Thanks. I am going to try and build a stand for the fun of it. And I can make it a little taller.  I was thinking 36 inches instead of 30.

• Like 1

Got a Oceanic BC14, how do I fit a MJ900 on chamber 3? It does fit, but a little tight. Is there a way to remove the tab where the Sponge slot is to make the space bigger?

Glad I found this page...just got my oceanic 29 off craigslist for a killer deal. I am in the process of cleaning and painting the stand. Link to my biocube 29 build

I am really not sure what I am going to run in terms of filtration. Right now all I use pretty much is just live rock and maybe a bag of purigen or carbon every now and then. 

Would love some shots of what you guys are running in the back. 

On 7/31/2017 at 0:52 AM, Five.five-six said:

Gl. Post pics.  I bet it turns out great!

I noticed the same thing and did not get that stand, maybe 4 2x4 going straight up and down in the 4 corners would really brace it. 

I snatched up a deal on craigslist and it had a much better built stand for my Biocube 29. Made with real wood and as solid as they come. It came varnished, but I sanded it and painted it to match the rim of the Oceanic BC29. I just took a pic of the tank and the home depot guy matched it and it came out perfect. 

IMG_6005.JPG

8df842b847fc50eea91710407f361e1a.jpg

IMG_6023.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Five.five-six said:

Outstanding!

Thanks. Once the paint drys a tad more, I will move it and give you a shot on the inside. Its all solid wood..

1 minute ago, Damon Omar said:

Here my stand I built for my biocube. I still have stain it and attached the door.  But it is pretty solid. 

IMG_20170807_174834.jpg

Wow, that thing looks like it can hold an elephant......great work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just curious guys....the on the back side, bottom right, the plastic trim seems a tad compressed in that corner. Does anyone use a leveling mat on this? I mean its not terrible, about .5mm at the most, but the little stand off in the corner is not touching the stand. My stand is pretty flat, not 100% perfect, but 99.8%...I have filled the tank a few times and the corner does touch the stand, however, I am wondering if the foam mat under the tank is just not use to having weight on it for a while. It was sitting empty for a year or so. 

Basically, will the foam under the tank be enough to support a slight bit of imperfection? I have filled the tank 2 times and no leaks to the outside, just the back wall, which is fixed now. 

35 minutes ago, Dominator said:

Just curious guys....the on the back side, bottom right, the plastic trim seems a tad compressed in that corner. Does anyone use a leveling mat on this? I mean its not terrible, about .5mm at the most, but the little stand off in the corner is not touching the stand. My stand is pretty flat, not 100% perfect, but 99.8%...I have filled the tank a few times and the corner does touch the stand, however, I am wondering if the foam mat under the tank is just not use to having weight on it for a while. It was sitting empty for a year or so. 

Basically, will the foam under the tank be enough to support a slight bit of imperfection? I have filled the tank 2 times and no leaks to the outside, just the back wall, which is fixed now. 

Actually, just needed to shim the top of the stand a bit, its now 99.9% flat.....hahaha