SaltCritters.com

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

+1 to what StevieT said. That would be a better set up. If you don't over feed and you do regular water changes you won't need a skimmer. Oh, and welcome to NR. :)

Thanks for the responses guys..... i think thats the better way to go too just wanted some insight on what others thought. with the mediabasket setup are you suppose to put the water all the way up or leave a little below the the hole that is between the 3rd and 2nd chamber at the top?

I just bought the media basket and light for the 14g biocube. I have a question about the media basket. if i am adding the refugium to the bottom chamber do i just place the light bellow the media basket or place it on that bottom shelf and add the chaeto above it. Also do I have to turn the chaeto every once and awaile so all sides will get light?. One last question is I just installed the maxjet 900 into the third chamber but it doesnt have much room from the little seperation piece of plastic to seperate the pump and sponge. do i need to trim some of the plastic off the pump or is it fine? thanks again for everyones time.....

I just bought the media basket and light for the 14g biocube. I have a question about the media basket. if i am adding the refugium to the bottom chamber do i just place the light bellow the media basket or place it on that bottom shelf and add the chaeto above it. Also do I have to turn the chaeto every once and awaile so all sides will get light?.

I have my lights hanging at the top of the bottom chamber of the media basket. I wouldn't think you would have to turn the chaeto.

JayEeeTeeEss

I just got the MP10 for my 29... would the upgraded maxi-jet 1200 return pump still be recommended or would the MP10 add enough flow?

QuickSilver525

hey guys what setting does everyone have their 50w heater at?? i just bought a new one cause mine exploded during a water change :( on accident any info would be great

hey guys what setting does everyone have their 50w heater at?? i just bought a new one cause mine exploded during a water change :( on accident any info would be great

I have mine set at 79 because when the lights come on it moves up to 80. At home I keep my other tanks at 76-77. Go with a stealth heater. They are plastic and will not explode. HTH

Hi, need some help guys. I took out one of the stock fans on my biocube 14 because it was so damn loud, it was fine in the winter. But now spring is here, my biocube temperature shot up from 80(my setting) to 84, and keeps going higher each day. My fish will be dead when it's above 87, so this is sort of an emergency, i need new fans NOW.

To give some background, i did order 2x very good silent fans per the recommendation, but it was a complete nightmare to try fit the 3 pin plug into the biocube 2 pin plug, i ended up broke the pins on both fans :/

So not to get long winded, does anyone know a fan that is better than the stock oceanic (complete junk), but has the TWO PIN plug that i can just plug into the hood without any mods.

Thanks a lot!

here are some pictures of my biocube 14: http://www.happyreward.com

Hi, need some help guys. I took out one of the stock fans on my biocube 14 because it was so damn loud, it was fine in the winter. But now spring is here, my biocube temperature shot up from 80(my setting) to 84, and keeps going higher each day. My fish will be dead when it's above 87, so this is sort of an emergency, i need new fans NOW.

To give some background, i did order 2x very good silent fans per the recommendation, but it was a complete nightmare to try fit the 3 pin plug into the biocube 2 pin plug, i ended up broke the pins on both fans :/

So not to get long winded, does anyone know a fan that is better than the stock oceanic (complete junk), but has the TWO PIN plug that i can just plug into the hood without any mods.

Thanks a lot!

here are some pictures of my biocube 14: http://www.happyreward.com

Check out nano tuners. They have some fans and adapter wires. I'm looking at getting them my self when I can. HTH

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?products_id=365

Oh, and check out firefish's fan mods.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2051827

Edited by benoitcdc

The third chamber in my BC14 has been filling to the top and overflowing back

into chamber 2. I've siphoned some water out of the 3rd chamber. Has anyone

else had this problem? But, I've also just added a Maxi Jet 900 and Koralia Nano!

I had the sponge removed from 3rd chamber but have put it back in with the

new pump. Also, Ive heard mention of plugging up the hole? Is this between 2 and

3 people are referring to?

I'm actually considering putting a fish in this week and eventually a coral or two

with my upgraded water movement!

Oh, and I've finally gotten my water issues figured out. Thanks, Jim.

so what do people use to block that hole from 2nd chamber to 3rd chamber? can you list the materials that you use and where you bought them from if you did this? Also I just installed my media basket and my refugium. I noticed that the flow doest really hit the middle of the mediabasket instead the water lands in the front of the spill over.... anyone elses do this? also has anyone hung the light for chamber three. I thought that would be the best option for the chaeto in chamber three. anyone do it differently..... all suggestions welcome, thanks!!!!

The third chamber in my BC14 has been filling to the top and overflowing back

into chamber 2. I've siphoned some water out of the 3rd chamber. Has anyone

else had this problem? But, I've also just added a Maxi Jet 900 and Koralia Nano!

I had the sponge removed from 3rd chamber but have put it back in with the

new pump. Also, Ive heard mention of plugging up the hole? Is this between 2 and

3 people are referring to?

I'm actually considering putting a fish in this week and eventually a coral or two

with my upgraded water movement!

Oh, and I've finally gotten my water issues figured out. Thanks, Jim.

Jim,

What was your water issue? Was the pump not connected to the return line? (not that I've done that LOL)

so what do people use to block that hole from 2nd chamber to 3rd chamber? can you list the materials that you use and where you bought them from if you did this? Also I just installed my media basket and my refugium. I noticed that the flow doest really hit the middle of the mediabasket instead the water lands in the front of the spill over.... anyone elses do this? also has anyone hung the light for chamber three. I thought that would be the best option for the chaeto in chamber three. anyone do it differently..... all suggestions welcome, thanks!!!!

jojoe,

I must have missed something. Why do you want to block the opening between chamber 2 and chamber 3? That would block the water from making it to the pump for circulation back into the tank. Thanks.

Also I just installed my media basket and my refugium. I noticed that the flow doest really hit the middle of the mediabasket instead the water lands in the front of the spill over.... anyone elses do this? also has anyone hung the light for chamber three. I thought that would be the best option for the chaeto in chamber three. anyone do it differently..... all suggestions welcome, thanks!!!!

Yes, my overflow into the media basket falls on the end. I have filter floss on the top of the media basket that this overflow falls onto and the filter floss spreads out this flow, so no problem. I have my chaeto in the bottom level of the media basket. Works great for me.

Edited by Rick778

Well I've been lurking around here for a bit and deceded that its time for me to join the biocube club. My bc29 has been up and running for almost 2months now. I had it set up befor I found this site :angry: and now am trying to do all the good mods to it but now its so much slower. Currently just have some letheres and mushroom in the tank. For fish I have a pair of false clowns, and bengaii cardnal, and a gobi pistol shrimp pair, plus the cucs. Currentely playing around with a jbj 28g 150HQI light on a plywood base. Now am not sure if I should keep it or upgrade with a nanotunners 4.36 or t5 retrofit kit? any sussgestion?

Thanks

Jim,

What was your water issue? Was the pump not connected to the return line? (not that I've done that LOL)

No, it was my ro/di but that's fixed. I've noticed a really high water level in the third chamber

and just wondered it that was normal?

jojoe,

I must have missed something. Why do you want to block the opening between chamber 2 and chamber 3? That would block the water from making it to the pump for circulation back into the tank. Thanks.

I am speaking of the opening at the top of chamber 2 to chamber 3. Not at the bottom where the sponge is. People block the top hole so they can add more water to the tank and not have the second chamber flow over into the third chamber from the top hole. Hopefully that answers your question.

I am speaking of the opening at the top of chamber 2 to chamber 3. Not at the bottom where the sponge is. People block the top hole so they can add more water to the tank and not have the second chamber flow over into the third chamber from the top hole. Hopefully that answers your question.

I cant see a situation where you'd have spillover from 2 to 3. What top "hole" are you talking about?

I cant see a situation where you'd have spillover from 2 to 3. What top "hole" are you talking about?

on the 14g there is a small hole that is almost at the top of the column and is in the shape of a rectangle. it is almost level with the media basket.i'd say 2 or 3 inches from the top of the column

on the 14g there is a small hole that is almost at the top of the column and is in the shape of a rectangle. it is almost level with the media basket.i'd say 2 or 3 inches from the top of the column

Same thing I'm talking about. Not sure what the purpose is other than an overflow safety? Anyway,

the additional pumps seem to be helping for me.