Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

Thanks uwwmatt and reefbike. I appreciate it.

reefbike, it sounds like you are off to a good start. After you add the live rock, monitor your water parameters and you'll see your tank cycle. Throw in a small raw deli shrimp in with the rocks and that will help with the cycling. Once you get your rockscape set up, show us some pictures. Yeah, Basil is great. There are some really good restaurants down here. If you make it to Folly, go to the Lost Dog. They are a hole in the wall but the food is awesome. :)

biocube14chic

I have a BC14 as well been up and running since 1/25/10 with stock equipment.

I'm about to place an order with intank for the media basket, purigen, chemi-pure elite and filter floss. I see the media basket and the purigen is on back order. I wonder for how long...??

My mod plans are: chamber1 heater, chamber 2 media basket with filter floss, purigen & chemi-pure elite and chamber 3 maxi-jet 900 with hydor flo. I was also thinking about getting the hydor koralia 1.

I have a marineland stealth 100 watt heater set on 80 and the temp stays between 77 & 78.

about 8 lbs of live rock, 10lbs of live sand

Salinity 1.024

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10

1 peppermint shrimp (had some aiptasia)

1 turban snail (hair algae) not cutting it

3 small hermit crabs

1- red honey damsel

Everything is going great so far (knock on wood) except for some hair alage growing on the side of the glass I think it's time to get a CUC

Any suggestions?

Great resource guide by the way!!! :bowdown:

Any suggestions?

Congrats on setting up your new biocube. I think you could benefit from more snails (the more variety the better).

As for the hair algae, cut your feeding and make sure you are using a high quality source or RO/DI water. Every water change pull out the clumps of algae by hand, making sure not to let any float around in the water.

Thanks

biocube14chic
Congrats on setting up your new biocube. I think you could benefit from more snails (the more variety the better).

As for the hair algae, cut your feeding and make sure you are using a high quality source or RO/DI water. Every water change pull out the clumps of algae by hand, making sure not to let any float around in the water.

Thanks

The hair algae isn't that long for me to just be able to grab and pull...there very short so I just scrape it off with a scraper but it grows back in about 2-3 days :o They look almost like the chia pet hairs when it starts growing. As for the snails I want to wait and make sure my tank is fully cycled before I add anything else.

Thanks

biocube14chic

I want to upgrade my stock pump on my BC14 to a Maxi-jet 900 but as I was searching I found 2 and I'm confused I think it's this one though: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or is it this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MARINELAND-MAXI-JE...=item45f11d0c41

I know I'm a noob -_-

Also my tank will be 1 month on Monday should I wait until the tank is fully cycled to remove bioballs slowly or should I do it all at once now?

Edited by biocube14chic
biocube14chic

Ok so I think I answered my own question by doing some research on here about the Maxi-900...Seems like the powerhead/pump is the way to go. Still need some help on the bioballs though...

Is it normal for the water noise to be much greater once you remove the bioballs? Also, more newb

questions here; I've added some polyester filter fiber on top of the tray above where the bioballs were.

Is this the same stuff as filter floss/purigen etc...? And I've not removed the filter cartridge in chamber 1 but am wondering if you should since the filter fiber seems to catch lots of the debris. And lastly, for

now, the side window that has a max/min hash mark... my water level in this chamber is about an inch

above the max. Is this ok?

Is it normal for the water noise to be much greater once you remove the bioballs? Also, more newb

questions here; I've added some polyester filter fiber on top of the tray above where the bioballs were.

Is this the same stuff as filter floss/purigen etc...? And I've not removed the filter cartridge in chamber 1 but am wondering if you should since the filter fiber seems to catch lots of the debris. And lastly, for

now, the side window that has a max/min hash mark... my water level in this chamber is about an inch

The water noise is probably due to not having enough water. Don't worry about the water level marks, fill it almost to overflowing into the back chamber and the noise should stop.The poly / filter floss will work as your filter. Remove the cartridge filter. If you decide to use carbon, Purigen or ------, just add it in the 2nd chamber (in filter bags of course).

Also my tank will be 1 month on Monday should I wait until the tank is fully cycled to remove bioballs slowly or should I do it all at once now?

Because your tank is still cycling I would remove all the bioballs now. If it were cycled I would do it in steps.

The water noise is probably due to not having enough water. Don't worry about the water level marks, fill it almost to overflowing into the back chamber and the noise should stop.The poly / filter floss will work as your filter. Remove the cartridge filter. If you decide to use carbon, Purigen or ------, just add it in the 2nd chamber (in filter bags of course).

+1. Disregard the water level mark and fill the back with more water.

I have a BC14 as well been up and running since 1/25/10 with stock equipment.

I'm about to place an order with intank for the media basket, purigen, chemi-pure elite and filter floss. I see the media basket and the purigen is on back order. I wonder for how long...??

My mod plans are: chamber1 heater, chamber 2 media basket with filter floss, purigen & chemi-pure elite and chamber 3 maxi-jet 900 with hydor flo. I was also thinking about getting the hydor koralia 1.

I have a marineland stealth 100 watt heater set on 80 and the temp stays between 77 & 78.

about 8 lbs of live rock, 10lbs of live sand

Salinity 1.024

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10

1 peppermint shrimp (had some aiptasia)

1 turban snail (hair algae) not cutting it

3 small hermit crabs

1- red honey damsel

Everything is going great so far (knock on wood) except for some hair alage growing on the side of the glass I think it's time to get a CUC

Any suggestions?

Hi biocube14chic,

Congrats on your BC 14. :) I would add about 6 more lbs of rock to get your bio filter up. Rule of thumb is 1-1 1/2 lbs rock per gallon of system volume. Don't worry about your heater. There are some brands that are not very accurate. Adjust the heater based on the water temp and not whats on the heater. Normally, you want the tank to cycle for at least 30 days before adding live stock. When did you add your current inhabitants? Did you see an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate spike? For a cuc, look at about 5-10 snails, and about 5-10 hermit crabs. If you are getting green hair algae this early in the set up, then you probably have an excess nutrient problem. Have you checked for phosphates? What is your source of water? RO/DI is best, tap water has a lot of nitrates and phosphates in them and that feeds algae. If you are over feeding that will also put extra nutrients into the water. When you ordered your intank media rack, did you get any macroalgae and underwater light for it. If not, look at setting up a fuge with macro algae. Tmacro algaehat will help reduce the nitrates. You can also so water changes to reduce nitrates. 50% water change equals 50% reduction in nitrates. HTH. :)

Here is my Biocube 29.

Sweet, I like the clean look. I also like what you said "The hardest part of it was commiting to doing it". Isn't that the truth?!

You can pull them all out at the same time, any time you want. Personally, I would pull them all out now. They are a source of nitrates because they trap detritus.

I've added some polyester filter fiber on top of the tray above where the bioballs were.

Filter floss is either white and fluffy or looks like a blue course sponge sheet (at east the ones I've seen). I've been using pillow stuffing out of my wifes crafts room and it is cheap and works great. Go ahead and remove the stock filter. That will increase your flow and reduce any possible nitrate build up as a result of it catching debris. I have found it is way easier to remove the bit of filter floss every 2-3 days and replace it with new floss than it was to pull the stock filter, rinse it without tearing up the floss, and replacing it. Plus, you throw away all the debris the floss catches were you can't get it all by cleaning the stock filter. HTH. :)

• Like 1
biocube14chic
Hi biocube14chic,

Congrats on your BC 14. :) I would add about 6 more lbs of rock to get your bio filter up. Rule of thumb is 1-1 1/2 lbs rock per gallon of system volume. Don't worry about your heater. There are some brands that are not very accurate. Adjust the heater based on the water temp and not whats on the heater. Normally, you want the tank to cycle for at least 30 days before adding live stock. When did you add your current inhabitants? Did you see an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate spike? For a cuc, look at about 5-10 snails, and about 5-10 hermit crabs. If you are getting green hair algae this early in the set up, then you probably have an excess nutrient problem. Have you checked for phosphates? What is your source of water? RO/DI is best, tap water has a lot of nitrates and phosphates in them and that feeds algae. If you are over feeding that will also put extra nutrients into the water. When you ordered your intank media rack, did you get any macroalgae and underwater light for it. If not, look at setting up a fuge with macro algae. Tmacro algaehat will help reduce the nitrates. You can also so water changes to reduce nitrates. 50% water change equals 50% reduction in nitrates. HTH. :)

Sweet, I like the clean look. I also like what you said "The hardest part of it was commiting to doing it". Isn't that the truth?!

First off thanks for taking the time to respond :) I really appreciate it!

1. I would add about 6 more lbs of rock to get your bio filter up. Rule of thumb is 1-1 1/2 lbs rock per gallon of system volume. I am planning on doing that, should I do it now or when the tank cycles? I 've heard it can cause a mini cycle.

2. When did you add your current inhabitants? Did you see an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate spike?

I added all inhabitants when ammonia & nitrite read zero. The fish has been in there for about 2 weeks and when I tested the Ammonia on Tuesday it was at .25, nitrite 0 and nitrate .5.

3. Have you checked for phosphates? What is your source of water?

I have not checked for phosphates yet, I have yet to purchase a test kit. Distilled water

4. When you ordered your intank media rack, did you get any macroalgae and underwater light for it. If not, look at setting up a fuge with macro algae.

I did not order the light or macro I plan on using the filter floss, purigen and chemi-pure for now

5. You can also so water changes to reduce nitrates. 50% water change equals 50% reduction in nitrates.

I plan on doing a 2 gallon water change every 2 weeks until it gets a little more stocked then I will do 2 gallons weekly.

About the bioballs I was thinking about taking a few out at a time until I got my media basket, or would it be ok to just take them all out now without anything in it's place until I receive the media basket?

Thanks again! :)

Edited by biocube14chic
First off thanks for taking the time to respond :) I really appreciate it!

Glad to help. :)

1. I would add about 6 more lbs of rock to get your bio filter up. Rule of thumb is 1-1 1/2 lbs rock per gallon of system volume. I am planning on doing that, should I do it now or when the tank cycles? I 've heard it can cause a mini cycle.

I'd do it now if you can. When ever you add live rock or new live stock, you will always get a mini cycle. Actually, your tank will have many mini cycles for about a year as bacteria multiply and die and until your system reaches equilibrium. Those tend to be small though. Here is a good article on cycling. Its myth # 15.

2. When did you add your current inhabitants? Did you see an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate spike?

I added all inhabitants when ammonia & nitrite read zero. The fish has been in there for about 2 weeks and when I tested the Ammonia on Tuesday it was at .25, nitrite 0 and nitrate .5.

It looks like your tank is still cycling. Wait until ammonia hits 0 again before adding any more live stock.

3. Have you checked for phosphates? What is your source of water?

I have not checked for phosphates yet, I have yet to purchase a test kit. Distilled water

Distilled water should be good. Test some periodically as a quality control.

4. When you ordered your intank media rack, did you get any macro algae and underwater light for it. If not, look at setting up a fuge with macro algae.

I did not order the light or macro I plan on using the filter floss, purigen and chemi-pure for now

That will be fine. Just do water changes to help keep nitrates and phosphates down.

5. You can also so water changes to reduce nitrates. 50% water change equals 50% reduction in nitrates.

I plan on doing a 2 gallon water change every 2 weeks until it gets a little more stocked then I will do 2 gallons weekly.

Consider doing 2 gallons a week or 5 gallons weekly. The presents of nitrate and phosphate reduction is directly proportional to the percentage of water change. Once your tank is established and stable, you can do about 2-3 gallons of water change every 2 weeks.

About the bioballs I was thinking about taking a few out at a time until I got my media basket, or would it be ok to just take them all out now without anything in it's place until I receive the media basket?

Go ahead and take them all out now. Your live rock and sand is able to do a much better job than the bioballs. Right now they are more of a nitrate factory.

Thanks again! :)

I'm glad I could help. Folks here have helped me and I am glad I can do the same.

biocube14chic

Thank you so much for all the useful information! I will take the bioballs out and add some live rock tommorrow. I did some re aquascaping this morning was late to work because of it...lol. I like the look of two separate islands. I will have to post pics as soon as I get the new rock in. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for all the useful information! I will take the bioballs out and add some live rock tommorrow. I did some re aquascaping this morning was late to work because of it...lol. I like the look of two separate islands. I will have to post pics as soon as I get the new rock in. Thanks again!

LOL. My tanks have made me late to work on several occacions too!! Can't wait to see some pictures. :)

Added cured live rock yesterday from lfs. 14.8lbs. Water this a.m.: 78d, 1.024, <.25ppm ammonia.

So far I've seen a little tiny snail working his way around the rock!

NIce rockscape. Cool, was the snail a hitch hiker? Those are the good ones to have. :)

biocube14chic

LOL. My tanks have made me late to work on several occacions too!! Can't wait to see some pictures. :)

I took the bioballs out over the weekend and bought about 3 pounds more of live rock. By the time I finished the aquascaping my fingers were so wrinkly and my inhabitants were pissed...must have been on it for about 3 hours straight, I happened to be babysitting my 4 year old niece and she said to me "Would you get out of that fish tank already!"... :o

I should be receiving the maxi-jet in the mail today and I received an email from intank with shipping confirmation can't wait!

Will be posting pics up soon!

NIce rockscape. Cool, was the snail a hitch hiker? Those are the good ones to have. :)

Yup. So far I've seen two small snails moving arond the rocks.

Just doing water tests now waiting to see how much of a spike I

get!

biocube14chic

As far as Rowaphos goes what chamber should I put it in and how much?

I was thinking either the 1st or 3rd chamber

This is how I plan to set-up

Chamber 1- heater

Chamber2- Stevie T's basket w/filter floss, purigen, chemi-pure elite

Chamber 3 Maxi-jet 900

As far as Rowaphos goes what chamber should I put it in and how much?

I was thinking either the 1st or 3rd chamber

This is how I plan to set-up

Chamber 1- heater

Chamber2- Stevie T's basket w/filter floss, purigen, chemi-pure elite

Chamber 3 Maxi-jet 900

The chamber set up looks good. As for as Rowaphos, they should say how much per gallon. You can put it in a bag and place it in chamber 3 over the pump. You will be keeping the water levels in the back higher than what the level gage on the side says any way so it will be covered.

biocube14chic
The chamber set up looks good. As for as Rowaphos, they should say how much per gallon. You can put it in a bag and place it in chamber 3 over the pump. You will be keeping the water levels in the back higher than what the level gage on the side says any way so it will be covered.

I currently have a bag of carbon in chamber 3 that's going to come out once I get everything from Stevie T. It sits on the pump and I keep my water level at the maximum line so it's easier for me to control water evaporation. It does cover the bag of carbon at the max level, so I shouldn't see a problem if not would it be ok to put in 1st chamber? Thanks again for all your help :)