Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

On the subject of fish savers, I was wondering if I might need one eventually, and I don't think I will. Granted, I just started my tank and there's nothing in it but water right now, but I've noticed a difference in some of the BCs out there. I'm still new here, so this is probably nothing new to a lot of the regulars, but there are pics here and here that illustrate two different "styles" of back plate on the bio cubes.

The first is what I think is the "older" style in which the owner has rigged up an egg crate fish guard. In the second, you'll have to scroll down to the shots of the lighting upgrade. It's not a great shot of what I'm talking about, but the third pic from the bottom of the first post shows a shot of C2 filled with floss. If you look, you can see the back plate is higher in this tank and it has slots cut for an overflow from the display into C2 . This is what my (brand new) BC14 looks like. I can take pics when I get home, but I believe the back plate on my tank goes up to about the same height as the rim. That being the case, I don't think I can fit a fish saver in there... or am I totally wrong?

I'm wondering if Oceanic has updated the BC series recently and if this is one of the changes?

To be honest, I really can't tell the difference between the two other than the mods he made. Did your BC 14 come with the horizontal slots on chamber 2? Does the back plate in yours go up and meet the lighting? I just looked at Oceanic's web site and they are not showing any of the new changes. I thought they would have. Oh well. I'll have to stop by one of the lfs and see if they have new BCs in. If your back plate goes up higher and that acts as a fish guard, then I would say you are good to go. :) I've read somewhere that Oceanic was listening to hobbies and were making changes. I guess they are.

I'm in process of cycling, should cycle with chaeto, chemi pure, and purigen in the back or should I cycle with just filter and everything removed ( bioballs, sponge) ? I'm using live rock and sand to cycle.

Much thanks !

I'm in process of cycling, should cycle with chaeto, chemi pure, and purigen in the back or should I cycle with just filter and everything removed ( bioballs, sponge) ? I'm using live rock and sand to cycle.

Much thanks !

Most of us have removed the Bioballs completely.

Better illustration:

Old (w/mod):

post-48543-1262218183_thumb.jpg

New:

post-48543-1262218190_thumb.jpg

Ah, much better. Thanks, I can see it better. :)

Much thanks !

+1 with TheStar on he balls. I'd leave the chaeto in but leave the chem pure and purigen out until after cycling. You will be doing some water changes after the cycle and before adding live stock. I'd put the chem and purigen in at that time. Make sure you have about 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon of tank water.

Ive got my 5.6 led orderd and payed for from nanocustoms....They are waiting for the new drivers to come in...went with the meanwell and cree...plus they gave me some really good pricing....cant wait to get it...

29g biocube...Iam letting them install since they do it for free...lol

Edited by gmod

So, I just picked up a BC14 from someone that was already cycled and everything. Moved it and set it back up and it barely even registered a parameter fluctuation. He was running it with bioballs and a filter cartridge, but I want to replace it with a media basket and Chaeto, any suggestions on making the change? I'm trying to avoid kicking off a whole new cycle since it is an established tank full of corals.

So, I just picked up a BC14 from someone that was already cycled and everything. Moved it and set it back up and it barely even registered a parameter fluctuation. He was running it with bioballs and a filter cartridge, but I want to replace it with a media basket and Chaeto, any suggestions on making the change? I'm trying to avoid kicking off a whole new cycle since it is an established tank full of corals.

I would spread it out over a few weeks to be safe.

I think it will be ok to do it all at once. Once I figured out bioballs were not the best for my tank I removed them all at once with no detectable change in water conditions. After you pull the biioballs, do a water change and syphon out chamber 2 to get any detritus. Besides, you just moved the tank with barely seeing any change and that is by far more traumatic than just pulling out the bioballs. :)

Ok so I'm still letting my tank cycle and I've read through this forum would like to begin modifying the filter system so it can handle a heavier bioload including coral. But there are many different ways to go about doing this. I will be upgrading my lighting to the nanocustoms 3.24. The question that I am stumped on is do I put a media basket in chamber 2 and what would I fill it with or should I invest in the sapphire nanoskimmer bc14. I will definitely be upgrading the stock pump to increase flow and I have installed a Hydor Koralia NANO Pump. If I go with either of those modifications what would I need to add to chamber one? Would really love to know which of these will be the most sufficient. I'd rather put the money out now than extra time.

Ok so I'm still letting my tank cycle and I've read through this forum would like to begin modifying the filter system so it can handle a heavier bioload including coral. But there are many different ways to go about doing this. I will be upgrading my lighting to the nanocustoms 3.24. The question that I am stumped on is do I put a media basket in chamber 2 and what would I fill it with or should I invest in the sapphire nanoskimmer bc14. I will definitely be upgrading the stock pump to increase flow and I have installed a Hydor Koralia NANO Pump. If I go with either of those modifications what would I need to add to chamber one? Would really love to know which of these will be the most sufficient. I'd rather put the money out now than extra time.

Yup, the media basket goes into chamber 2. Most folks with a media chamber run floss on top, cheato in the middle and pure chem or other media in the bottom. A sapphire would be a nice addition especially if you are planning on running a heavy bioload. In chamber one most folks put the heater in there, that way it is out of sight. Both mods are good. I don't think you can go wrong with either or both. :)

Yeh what I was trying to figure is if I'm better off with a media rack or a protien skimmer as you cant have both in the BC 14.

I don't remember where I saw it but I recall seeing a sapphire in chamber 1. I may not be remembering it correctly. Old age is creaping in. LOL

I don't remember where I saw it but I recall seeing a sapphire in chamber 1. I may not be remembering it correctly. Old age is creaping in. LOL

Any idea where you may have seen this? I have a Media Rack from Steve on the way, however I am wanting to add a skimmer as well.

Any idea where you may have seen this? I have a Media Rack from Steve on the way, however I am wanting to add a skimmer as well.

It was some where on NR. I'll have to see if I can find it again. :)

The Oceanic Skimmer fits into chamber #1 however the Sapphire unit looks much more substantial looking as if it were made to fit into #2.

Anybody have experience with the Oceanic Skimmer?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BioCube-Nano-Reef-Prot...=item35a232f596

I actually bought one and then returned it the next day. I think the biggest problem is you have to replace the airstone every 4 weeks and then have to re tune it every time you changes the stone. If I recall, skimmate production is minimal as well. HTH

Edited by benoitcdc
Is the Maxijet 900 too powerful for the 14G cube?

Where can I get a media basket - How do I join the club?

Hi OneTimer,

I think the 900 would be to much for the BC 14. If you consider that on average you want about 10 - 15 times the volume in flow, the 900 is pushing about 230 gph. If you want more flow, I would put in a small power head like the Korella nano in there. That would give you more versatility. As for media racks, check out Stevie T here on NR. He makes racks that fit nicely into the BC 14. I havn't hear any negative reviews but only great feed back. I'm sure others will jump in and give their experiences.

Joining the club? I think you just did!! Welcome. Do you any pictures of your tank you can post?

Is the Maxijet 900 too powerful for the 14G cube?

Where can I get a media basket - How do I join the club?

Mediabaskets.com is where you pick up your media rack. Check out my tank thread, I just got mine up and running.

Hey everyone,

Sorry this is my first post. Ive been following the forums but have yet to post anything. I got my BC14 the other day, got her up and running, everything was working just fine.

Now, 2 days later. I went to plug in my LEDs just to do an equipment check and no luck! Everything else is working as it should.

I have:

Checked to make sure its plugged in/ tried both wall and power strip

Made sure plugs were pushed together all the way

Made sure LEDs were seated in mounting brackets all the way

The AC/DC adapter is warm to the touch so I know electricity is getting to the adapter at least.

I called Oceanic Tech support but have been given the run around all day, each time Ive called the operator tells me their ONE tech rep is busy and on the phone.

Ive been reading the Resource Guide and figured if there is anyone on the net that can solve this it would be you guys.

Thanks and I look forward to sharing my BC with you all in the near future.

Hawaii_Bio_Cube
Hi OneTimer,

I think the 900 would be to much for the BC 14. If you consider that on average you want about 10 - 15 times the volume in flow, the 900 is pushing about 230 gph. If you want more flow, I would put in a small power head like the Korella nano in there. That would give you more versatility. As for media racks, check out Stevie T here on NR. He makes racks that fit nicely into the BC 14. I havn't hear any negative reviews but only great feed back. I'm sure others will jump in and give their experiences.

Joining the club? I think you just did!! Welcome. Do you any pictures of your tank you can post?

I put a MJ900 as my return pump and i have no regrets. The extra flow helped my algae problem and the corals love it.