inTank Media Baskets

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

Could we start a filtration section to the Resource guide? I have a 29. Right now im just useing filter floss and stock sponge. I know there are a lot of variations but if we could have a link on here and everybody say and show what they do that would be awesome!!! Anyone else agree?

Could we start a filtration section to the Resource guide? I have a 29. Right now im just useing filter floss and stock sponge. I know there are a lot of variations but if we could have a link on here and everybody say and show what they do that would be awesome!!! Anyone else agree?

I have been meaning to do one.

111111.jpg

Biocube Filtration (water conditioning/movement/filtration):

Stock Filtration:

biocube_filter.jpg

• All sizes of the stock biocube use the same methods for filtration. First water is drawn through a filter cartridge (carbon covered with filter floss). This provides both mechanical and chemical filtration for your tank.

Water then travels over the top of the dividing wall and into the middle chamber. This is where the bioballs provide the biological filtration.

Next water is pulled down to the bottom of the middle chamber and drawn through a sponge separating chambers 2 and 3. This provides an added layer of mechanical filtration while also protecting your return pump from large particles that can cause damage to the rotor blades.

Finally to complete the cycle water is returned to the display using the stock return pump. The return pump is an import part of the filtration cycle, that will be discussed later on.

stock pumps
    BC-8 106 gph
    BC-14 137 gph
    BC-29 243 gph

*The filtration process in the biocube also helps to oxygenate the water which is a very import part in keeping a healthy tank.

As you can see the people at oceanic have done a good job designing a tank that incorporates all 3 types of filtration: Mechanical, Chemical, and Biological. So why would you want to make any changes?

Well, there are a couple reasons why people decide to make changes, for me it was a combination of increased performance and my insatiable appetite for DIY projects. I am going to break this article into 4 parts tackling all 3 of the filtration methods as well as the importance of proper water movement. Each section will discuss the benefits and disadvantages of the stock method verses the various other upgrades that are available.

Chapter 1: Mechanical Filtration

• Filter Cartridge: When I make reference to mechanical filtration in regards to the filter cartridge I am only referring to the filter floss (not the carbon).

Problem:
    The filter cartridge does a fine job at removing particles from the water column, however it has 2 serious flaws. As the floss becomes dirty the organic particles begin to break down and lower your water quality. The solution, replacing the cartridge every few days, is simple but brings about the second problem. At $3 a pop the money you spend on cartridges is going to really add up over the lifetime of your biocube. That money would be better spent on tank upgrades---or beer.
    Solution:
    The solution to this one is simple, and cheap (the best kind). All you need is a bag of filter floss (100% pure polyester fiber, basically its just pillow stuffing).

This is what I use, it costs next to nothing and lasts a really long time.
    100_0227.jpg
    The goal is to place the floss in a place where all the water is going to be forced through.
    The grate over chamber 2 works perfect!
    100_0230.jpg
    All you need is a small amount of floss.
    100_0232.jpg
    And thats it you did it! In 2-3 days it will get dirty and you can just throw it in the garbage and add a new handful.
    100_0231.jpg

Sponges:

coming soon...

Edited by uwwmatt

Anyone else having heat problems? The first thing I did was change the lighting and return pump. I've got a DIY LED upgrade with two Silenx fans added. I changed the return pump out with an MJ900 before I ever put water in the tank. At the same time, I added a Koralia nano. At this point, my tank was running a steady 78F.

A couple of weeks later, I added another Koralia nano and StevieT's media rack (with floss, chaeto, and chemipure) and put his fuge light on the chaeto. A few days after this, my temp was running 80-81F. At first, I thought it was a faulty thermometer. But, I put in a secondary thermometer and got the same temp. So, I went to my heater. I pulled it out, and the temp is still running the same. I can't imagine it being my lights (main or fuge), because the temp's steady night and day. I thought about the pumps, but the only pump I added before the heat problems started was the Koralia nano, and I can't see that little thing putting that much heat in the water. My stock fans are making a little noise, so I'm hoping that's it. I've ordered a couple more SilenX fans to replace them.

Other than that, any ideas?

80-81 is pretty normal, I wouldn't worry about it. Large swings in temp are more of a problem.

Thanks, Stevie! I wasn't too worried about the 80-81 now as much as I was the change that I saw and concern that it might get worse in the coming summer months. Strangely, the past couple of days, it's been back down in the 78-79 range. I'm baffled.

I received the fans this weekend and plan to install them sometime this week. I'm hoping that will help it become more stable. I've also been kicking around the idea of picking up a Vortech to replace the Koralias to get a few more watts out of the water. I know the two of them only absorb 7 watts total, but maybe that makes a difference in a water volume this small? Opinions?

I have not noticed in anyone ones thread but has anyone removed the stock 'bulkhead' though the false wall and replaced it with a larger one to reduce the restriction. I will be transferring my 14 to a BC29 soon and am considering such a mod.

I would probably cut out the existing 'bulkhead' and then make the hole large enough to accept a male threaded 3/4 inch loc line adaptor and use a threaded/slip 90 elbow on the pump side. Could do the same but with 1/2 inch but I think the benefits would be less.

Any input?

Jerome

Adkins.its

Awesome my tank got added!

Its been few months now and the tank is still holding strong. I really think that it is structually sound.

Ive been trying to get a few good photos for a new post. I hope to get them up by the end of the weekend. Now with new corals added new 20K, k-1 and new scape.

Oh yeah, and whos gonna step up and do a 29?

Edited by Adkins.its

just a thought, has anyone tried a 70 watt MH on a biocube 8? Also i plan on getting a biocube 8 in 2 years for college and I WILL be using many of these mods;) great thread

Well, I'm probably an "old-timer" when it comes to the Biocubes. I've had my BC29 set up for over 2 1/2 years. Here is a FTS and a link listing all of my mods.

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=13

FTS, as you can see, I made some changes to the aquascaping. I went to more SPS corals.

hpim2622vl7.jpg

Edited by basser1
Adkins.its

I was at a trusted LFS yesterday and was talking to him about biocubes. To my surprise he told me that they changed the biocubes (at least the 14s and 29s).

New changes:

1 Higher Rear wall with center chamber overflow and no fish in the back. (just in case)

2 Window in the paint for a center chamber fuge light. No more scraping.

3 A Metal Halide coversion kit.

That was as much as he knew. The first two I actually saw obviously they are just changes to the tank. The MH conversion is soon to come I guess.

So they cool the whole thing with just those fans in the stock locations with the MH?

We also cool the halide fixture with two additional 50x10mm fans such as shown below.

HQI%20Cross%20Ventillation.jpg

Well, I'm probably an "old-timer" when it comes to the Biocubes. I've had my BC29 set up for over 2 1/2 years. Here is a FTS and a link listing all of my mods.

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=13

FTS, as you can see, I made some changes to the aquascaping. I went to more SPS corals.

hpim2622vl7.jpg

Love the red cap! Looks great - nice to see how your tank has progressed since being TOTM!