Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

To the people discussing the MJ900 and 1200:

Are you REMOVING the stock pump in chamber 3 and replacing it with these? Does it fit? Are the benefits worth the 30-40 bucks?

Yes, this is removing the stock pump in chamber 3 and replacing it w/ a maxijet. Yes it fits. Is it worth it is up to you. It definitely is if it goes out, as the replacement Oceanic pump is usually about $49.99 + Shipping.

Going back to the recent quote about the mesh fish guard. What about this thing being open topped when run w/ the sunpod. Does anyone have pictures or designs for a screen top that looks clean, not clunky?

To the people discussing the MJ900 and 1200:

Are you REMOVING the stock pump in chamber 3 and replacing it with these? Does it fit? Are the benefits worth the 30-40 bucks?

Should be able to find an MJ900 for under $20. If you have a BC14 or 8 go with 900, 29 you can go with a 1200 but research it a bit.....some have had heat issues but I can't remember it that is just in the 14 and smaller or the 29s as well.

Definately worth the $20, increased flow is liked by the fish and corals and will save you time and effort by reducing the chances for stagnant areas which lead to algae outbreak.

Dangit! I wish I would have seen that post about the Rio before buying a MJ 1200. It is definitely a good combo of output and low wattage. Thanks Spanko.

Quick questions regarding Controllers. I am close to choosing one for my BC29.

It appears that the AC III and AC III Pro are very similar (obviously). One of the major deltas is the

Pro has the ability to handle conductivity and Dissolved Oxygen. I get the conductivity/Salinity monitoring difference but the Dissolved Oxygen .. isn't that the same as ORP? If not what is the delta. Is it worth the extra bucks to purchase the Pro?

Rusty

In the 29 gallon biocube the Rio 6hf is the pump du jour. 350 GPH with reduced wattage requirement for less heat.

I recently received a Rio 6hf for my BC 29. Quick question: did you have to remove the pump cover to get it to fit properly? I tried to install it last night, but it seems like an awfully tight fit with the pump cover on.

Also I saw in a previous post that you must special order the Tunze 9002 without the magnet to get it to fit properly? Is that true? I have one in transit--with the magnet...

Finally, does anyone have suggestions on a preferred salt mix? I have a bucket of Oceanic, but the Ca seems way too high (especially considering that I have yet to stock the tank).

Edited by crinus

On the Rio, Just do not use the plate for the suction cups. Only the pump itself, it fits into the space on the left when looking down into the chamber on an angle.

Should be able to find an MJ900 for under $20. If you have a BC14 or 8 go with 900, 29 you can go with a 1200 but research it a bit.....some have had heat issues but I can't remember it that is just in the 14 and smaller or the 29s as well.

Definately worth the $20, increased flow is liked by the fish and corals and will save you time and effort by reducing the chances for stagnant areas which lead to algae outbreak.

Hey, I just wanted to thank the few of you that responded with information. I went out and purchased the MJ900 a few days ago and utilized a guide by a fellow BC14'r here to install it, works good. I have the return pointing straight up so that the water flows right at the surface, causing agitation. I hope this is a good practice in your eyes :-) Still quite a few questions but I guess i'll just keep reading the forums, bah.

I'm looking for a light upgrade but want to keep the stock lid hood. I see someone (forgot who posted it) posted the nanotuners 3.24 (108 watt) upgrade and it looks great. I was thinking about the 144watt upgrade. Anybody have personal experiences? any suggestions? is the 144watt worth the extra $ over the 108watt? Thanks

Nick

I have a biocube 14 and it has been running for almost three months. I am very slowly trying to choose which fish and inverts I am adding to the tank as I don't want to make the mistake of adding something that will outgrow the tank or kill everything else.

So far this is what I have...

Numerous live rock hitchers (including aptasia & a mean crab that I am trying to get rid of, any tips?)

3 blue leg hermits

3 turbo snails

2 peppermint shrimp

3 nassarius snails

1 diamond sleeper goby

1 yellow clown goby

10 single mushroom frags

3 zoa frags

1 xenia frag

I would like to get one (or maybe two) more fish and a couple more inverts and a bunch more corals. I want to make the tank as colorful as possible and I would love to get fish/inverts that are both colorful and have LOTS of personality... Please help me with some ideas.

Thanks!!

L.

I'm looking for a light upgrade but want to keep the stock lid hood. I see someone (forgot who posted it) posted the nanotuners 3.24 (108 watt) upgrade and it looks great. I was thinking about the 144watt upgrade. Anybody have personal experiences? any suggestions? is the 144watt worth the extra $ over the 108watt? Thanks

Nick

I was thinking the same thing back in December and I purchased the NT 4.36 upgrade. If I was to do it over, I would save the $$, stick with the stock lighting for a while and then go topless with a Sunpod or something yet to be determined (LED???)?

I was thinking the same thing back in December and I purchased the NT 4.36 upgrade. If I was to do it over, I would save the $$, stick with the stock lighting for a while and then go topless with a Sunpod or something yet to be determined (LED???)?

Just curious "TheStar, but what dont u like about it? should help with evap. Just if u could break down the things u dont like a little more. much appreciated. thanks

Just curious "TheStar, but what dont u like about it? should help with evap. Just if u could break down the things u dont like a little more. much appreciated. thanks

I do like it, but I want to upgrade. I would like to have a clam and some corals that require more lighting.

In the 29 gallon biocube the Rio 6hf is the pump du jour. 350 GPH with reduced wattage requirement for less heat.

The 6HF also works great in the BC-14, installed one in mine a month ago and all the corals are loving the additional flow when compaired to the 4HF.

I have a biocube 14 and it has been running for almost three months. I am very slowly trying to choose which fish and inverts I am adding to the tank as I don't want to make the mistake of adding something that will outgrow the tank or kill everything else.

So far this is what I have...

Numerous live rock hitchers (including aptasia & a mean crab that I am trying to get rid of, any tips?)

3 blue leg hermits

3 turbo snails

2 peppermint shrimp

3 nassarius snails

1 diamond sleeper goby

1 yellow clown goby

10 single mushroom frags

3 zoa frags

1 xenia frag

I would like to get one (or maybe two) more fish and a couple more inverts and a bunch more corals. I want to make the tank as colorful as possible and I would love to get fish/inverts that are both colorful and have LOTS of personality... Please help me with some ideas.

Thanks!!

L.

4 fish in a 14 is pushing the bioload. I would say three is max with good biological filtration.

A couple days ago one of my lights did not come on. After some trouble shooting I found one of the ballasts had failed. So I called Oceanic and spoke to a customer service rep. He was very nice and helpful. After working out getting a new ballast sent to me I mentioned how my fans were noisy on initial startup. He stated he believed there were two reasons for this: 1) If the tank is older it could be caused by there being a gap in the seal for the clear light cover causing moisture & corrosion on the bearings; 2) The fans may not have been seated correctly. The seating issue can be corrected by playing with the mounting screw tightness or by using felt washers with the screws (vibration dampeners). They also are sending me two new fans. Hope this info is helpful.

Please add my 14 gal BioCube:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190557

I just wanted to state that I absolutely love this thread and am so glad it exists! I haven't had an aquarium in over 10 years and am just starting to learn about salt water aquariums and this thread has sealed my purchase of a Biocube 14g.

I am still very confused about a lot of things but will continue reading and researching and googling things I don't recognize. I just wanted to make a post and thank everyone for all their hard work in maintaining this thread. I am sure I will have lots of questions but I plan on doing as much research as I can before asking them.

THANKS! :wub::bowdown:

• Like 1
Exactly how does one safely remove the false bottom in chambers 1 and 3?

Keith

Push real hard :) Got to break the silicone seal. Alternatively you can use like a butter knife and pry, but just pushing real hard works well.