inTank Media Baskets

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

I have a Hydor in chamber 2. Seems to be worthless

It's the Aquaticlife 115 protein skimmer. I like it in the first chamber as the water stays at a constant level there. Once broken in, it does a pretty decent job of skimming as far as nano skimmers go.

I don't like the skimmer in chamber 2 as the fluctuating water levels don't allow for consistent skimming, even while running a Tunze 3155 ATO.

I've seen mods on other forums where they were able to fit a Hydor Slim Skim in chamber 1 of a BC29. Perhaps you could try that? The Aquamaxx FR-S media reactor also works in chamber 1 as well.

Good deal relative to brand new BC32 LEDs, I guess... I'm still partial to the BC29s out there as there are more LED retrofit upgrades available from vendors like Nanobox and RapidLED since the stock BC32 LEDs are fairly weak. There are also aftermarket filtration add ons from InTank for the BC29. Also, I don't like that there's no maintenance lid on the back of the new LED hood. The newer hoods also slope downward leaving not enough clearance for viable skimmer options.

Thanks for the quick reply! If not a Biocube, what is the best AIO tank right now?

I actually have access to a laser cutter, I would be up to building my own back plate/filtering section for a tank. I like the appeal of keeping most equipment out of sight but I don't have space for a separate sump at the moment.

Good deal relative to brand new BC32 LEDs, I guess... I'm still partial to the BC29s out there as there are more LED retrofit upgrades available from vendors like Nanobox and RapidLED since the stock BC32 LEDs are fairly weak. There are also aftermarket filtration add ons from InTank for the BC29. Also, I don't like that there's no maintenance lid on the back of the new LED hood. The newer hoods also slope downward leaving not enough clearance for viable skimmer options.

Like I said, as a Biocube 29 owner, I'm quite partial toward it as it is very upgradeable with InTank parts and I actually like keeping the hood as it contains light spill and can be retrofitted with a quality LED kit from either Nanobox or RapidLED.

Another AIO tank I do like is the Innovative Marine Nuvo 40 as I like the dimensions and the water volume.

• Like 1

I love my Biocube 29 but so wish I had more volume. I got mine used with the retrofitted Steve's leds, also had the Intank media basket and the Fuge, as well as a hydor skimmer. never have been able to get the skimmer to skim. The Bio 29 is a good start in reefing

I tried to get it to fit in chamber one, no luck, I could possibly cut the inside frame work. I am thinking a media reactor might be better than a skimmer

I don't like the skimmer in chamber 2 as the fluctuating water levels don't allow for consistent skimming, even while running a Tunze 3155 ATO.

I've seen mods on other forums where they were able to fit a Hydor Slim Skim in chamber 1 of a BC29. Perhaps you could try that? The Aquamaxx FR-S media reactor also works in chamber 1 as well.

I actually cut the inner lip of the frame in my entire back chambers to give me more room. The media reactor will definitely work in chamber 1 but I do recommend keeping the skimmer if not for anything other than aeration. With the hood on without a skimmer running, C02 would build up fast causing very low PH. Do you use an ATO to keep the water level steady for better skimmer performance?

• Like 1

Not yet but I just got one of the new nano ATOs to add

I actually cut the inner lip of the frame in my entire back chambers to give me more room. The media reactor will definitely work in chamber 1 but I do recommend keeping the skimmer if not for anything other than aeration. With the hood on without a skimmer running, C02 would build up fast causing very low PH. Do you use an ATO to keep the water level steady for better skimmer performance?

Not yet but I just got one of the new nano ATOs to add

I think the ATO will help you get better skimmer performance with a consistent water depth in chamber 2 & 3.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a Biocube 14 which is leaking quite a bit between the rear chambers and the display section. The silicone has clearly let go from the plastic dividing wall. It's mostly just on one side (pump side) but there are some suspect white spots under the silicon on the other side too. I know it's not a huge deal but the tank is currently empty and I would like to fix it up before setting it up again. I have attached a photo of the issue.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to repair this or if anyone else had the same problem. I am worried about just scraping the silicone in case I damage the seal of the bottom of the tank. Thanks for any tips you can offer!!!

post-47099-0-82947700-1482828064_thumb.jpg

Okinawa_Reefer

I literally just had the same issue on my biocube that I bought off Craigslist. I used a sharp razor to cut out the silicon that's no longer bonded. So just cut along the plastic and along the glass. Try not to cut silicon that's between the glass that's making the actual seal. Then clean with a bit of rubbing alcohol, let dry. Then run a bead of silicon. Smooth out with your finger tip. Let dry for 48 hours and you're good to go. It's not a seam that holds the aquarium together, but as you stated it keeps water from leaking in and out of the rear chambers so that the water flows as designed. Good luck!

Okinawa_Reefer

Can anyone tell me what the biggest pump I can fit into chamber two next to the intank media basket? I'd like to give a try at a algae reactor and want to run it under the tank in the stand. So the pump would have to be powerful enough to pump water out of the second chamber, down to the reactor and back up. I don't need a ton of flow, but of course more is better in this scenario. Does anyone know if the mj1200 would be strong enough?

Anyone currently running a sump on their Biocube. Looking to add one WITHOUT drilling ( since the tank is up and running) I did a search on the forum but all the threads are so old the photos are no longer there. Interested to see how folks plumb the tank without drilling. Adding a sump would allow me to hopefully run a skimmer in said sump and perhaps a useful refugium

You can use the Eshopps nano overflow in chamber 2. No drilling required. I don't think it will fit in chamber 3 as I believe the Coralife hood hinge may get in the way (not sure as I have the Oceanic version with no hinge). Type in "biocube sump" on YouTube and you'll see many creative modifications for people running sumps with there biocubes.

Thanks. Looking into this set up. Thinking adding more vol may help

You can use the Eshopps nano overflow in chamber 2. No drilling required. I don't think it will fit in chamber 3 as I believe the Coralife hood hinge may get in the way (not sure as I have the Oceanic version with no hinge). Type in "biocube sump" on YouTube and you'll see many creative modifications for people running sumps with there biocubes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am new to this forum. This is my first post.

Does anyone know where I can find the plastic lightbulb cover for the hood of a 14 gallon Biocube?

Thanks

Del

Mediabaskets.com

• 3 months later...
graftobny142

Is there a wiring diagram for the Oceaning 29 online?

I am trying to make it so that only the fans come on without the white light.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this has been answered already on this site but I can't find it (probably somewhere obvious).  I have an old school Oceanic biocube 29 with a brittle and cracked hood. Are replacement hoods available anywhere or am I going to have to go hood less? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Five.five-six

Wow! 45 pages, I'm supposed to be getting a biocube 29 today.  That's a lot of reading.  I wonder how much of the 2009 stuff is still applicable.

Simulated Fish
2 hours ago, Five.five-six said:

Wow! 45 pages, I'm supposed to be getting a biocube 29 today.  That's a lot of reading.  I wonder how much of the 2009 stuff is still applicable.

Actually most of it, Lighting is less now and they got smart and lost the bioballs. Other then that it is mostly unchanged. :)