Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

I've been looking for a 16.5" Sunpod to add to my 14g BC, and they're hard to locate. Can I add T5 or halides to the stock hood? Where can I find ones that fit? Or is the nano tuners 3.24 upgrade the best route?

Thanks! ;)

I have never heard of a T5 retro kit, but I have seen people mod halides into a stock hood. I think you would almost have to get a chiller with in-hood halides. If you don't mind removing the hood you could go with the sunpod. Sunpods have moveable legs so actually any size would work on your tank, it just depends on how much overhang you will have.

I just purchased the BioCube 29 Gallon and this was very helpful. Thanks alot!

pin

Glad it was helpful, if you have any questions feel free to ask them here. That way others can learn from your questions.

Im still in process of looking for a 150 pendant for mine and will sell my clean 16.5 sunpod then

Let me know if you do find one, and I'd love to buy that 16.5 off you! :lol:

And I know I can use the 20" but I don't really like the look with it being wider than the tank so much and I don't want to use reflectors (which I've read I'd need?)

DIY: nckwrn's Cold Cathode Moonlights

I saw this idea done by Sinistard, but the topic is about 4 years old so I'm recreating it.

Supplies

Total Cost-$33.67

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1.Cut the Molex connector off of the cold cathode Box Wires.

This is a Molex Connector

001.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2.Strip the wires where you just cut the Molex.
CIMG0028.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 3.Take the plastic protector off of the Biocube hood, then unscrew the screws that hold down the reflector.

Like this.

CIMG0033.jpg

Step 4.Super Glue the little Cold Cathode box inside the hood like this.(Look at picture above)

Step 5.Put the Cold Cathode tube underneath the Actinic bulb like this.(Again, look at picture above.)

Step 6. Take the wires you stripped earlier and connect them to the Adaptaplug leads with wire nuts or you can solder it if you have a soldering iron.White to white, Black to Black.

Step 7. Connect the other side of the leads to the DC Adapter. Make sure that the "+" sign on the leads meets the "Positive" word on the DC adapter.

Like this.

SkematichForLights.jpg

Step 8.Route the wires out of the back of the hood then close it all back up.

Heres what the wiring should look like.

CIMG0034.jpg

Step 9. Plug the adapter into a power source and Enjoy!

Action Shot.

CIMG0039.jpg

Table of Contents:

-Biocube FAQ

-UWWMatt's Mod Review

-Biocube Signature Badges

-Member's Biocubes

-Helpful Links

DIY

-Cold Cathode Moonlights

-Fuge Light

Edited by uwwmatt

How do you control the temperature in your BioCube???

I can't seem to make it work to the temp i want it to be. It always runs high like 81F or 82F, even though i have set the heater to 76F. During night it's 80.5F. The apartment is 65F.

I have the Jager 50W heater in the first chamber. I tuned the heater off, and waited for the tank temperature to drop to 76F. Then I pulled out the little button on the heater and set the temp to 76F. But when I turn the heater on the water gets way above 76F.

I can't seem to make it work to the temp i want it to be. It always runs high like 81F or 82F, even though i have set the heater to 76F. During night it's 80.5F. The apartment is 65F.

I have the Jager 50W heater in the first chamber. I tuned the heater off, and waited for the tank temperature to drop to 76F. Then I pulled out the little button on the heater and set the temp to 76F. But when I turn the heater on the water gets way above 76F.

new heater

Set your heater lower. Set it at 72F and see what your temperature stays at. None of my heaters actually heat to the temperature they are marked at.

Edited by uwwmatt

Biocube Lighting:

Stock Lighting

• 8G Biocube - 36 Watt Compact Fluorescent Lighting
    (1) 18 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin
    (1) 18 watt 10,000K Daylight straight pin
    (2) 0.75 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED

14G Biocube - 48 Watt Compact Fluorescent Lighting
    (1) 24 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin
    (1) 24 watt 10,000K Daylight straight pin
    (2) 0.75 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED

29G Biocube - 72 Watt Compact Fluorescent Lighting
    (1) 36 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin
    (1) 36 watt 10,000K Daylight straight pin
    (3) 0.75 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED

DIY PC Lighting Upgrades:

These are a good option if you wish to keep the all-in-one look of your biocube. They increase lighting to your biocube by 50% for relatively cheap price. These come as kits and installation is required, but are fairly simple to install. It should be noted that even with these updates it is not recommend to keep anemones, clams, or sps corals.

These mods add:

* Increased Lighting Intensity

* More Spectral choices

* Sunset/Sunrise - Staged Lighting (choose Actinic Bulbs)

* Increased airflow

* Better bulb Performance and bulb life

• 14G Biocube
    -
Nanocustoms 3.24
-Total output 72w after upgrade.
-$79.95

29G Biocube
-Nanocustoms 3.36
-Total output 108w after upgrade
-$79.95

Metal Halide Lighting (DIY and Ready to Use)

If you are considering keeping SPS and Anemones, or just want the best growth out of your corals, you will want to consider one of these options.

DIY Metal Halide

These modifications add Metal halide lighting to the stock hood. They are very expensive, but allow you to keep the stock hood.

• 14G Biocube
    -
Nanocustoms 1.70
-Total output 70w HQI after upgrade
-$359.95

29G Biocube
-Nanocustoms 1.70
-Total output 70w HQI after upgrade
-$509.95

-Nanocustoms 1.150
-Total output 150w HQI after upgrade
-$544.95 (on sale for $399)

Ready to use Metal Halides

These lights are a more cost effective solution if you want to add metal halide lighting to your biocube, but require the hood to be removed. Another added benifet of these lights is with an open top heat becomes less of an issue.

• -
Viper HQI Clamp Lamp
p_27291_36892DS_lighting.jpg
- Offered in both 70w and 150w
- $159.99 and $199
- No moon lights or Actinics

-K-2 Viper Deluxe HQI Clamp-On Lamp
p-35478-47251-fish-supply.jpg
- Offered in both 150w and 250w
- Built-in 2-speed directional exhaust fan
- (2) Nite Vu LED moonlights for discreet nighttime viewing
- $299 and $399

Sunpod
p_22897_35379P.jpg
-Offered in 150w and 250w
-6 white 6 blue LEDs

Sunpods have adjustable legs to fit a variety of tanks. They used to make a 16.5" Sunpod that was the perfect size for the 14G biocube, but that model has been discontinued. However they can still be found on ebay and classified.

Other lighting options to consider:

• -Pendant lighting
    -Spot Lighting
    -LED Lighting

*disclaimer:

This is not an exhaustive list, and I have no experience or personal investment in any of the lighting listed above.

Table of Contents:

-Biocube FAQ

-UWWMatt's Mod Review

-Biocube Signature Badges

-Member's Biocubes

-Helpful Links

DIY

-Cold Cathode Moonlights

-Fuge Light

-Lighting

-Manufacturer's Product Information

Edited by uwwmatt
uwwmatt, thanks!! The one I just bought already looks like that, so I guess the previous owner already did it. B)

I just realized I posted the wrong picture, sorry

This is what I meant to post.

Biocube3.jpg

Doh! Okay. So you're leaving a small amount there still, correct?

no, not really. You are just removing that tab:

dsafd.jpg

You can do a cleaner job than I did. I did make this look better and straigher later on, this was done with a utility knife and just breaking the piece on the horizontal line. Hack saw blade would be my tool if I had to do another

IMG_7932.jpg

Edited by StevieT

Received my 3.24 lighting upgrade with the fancy moon lights. These are pictures of old vs. new canopy. Note the moon lights by feeding flap.

post-40754-1232496217_thumb.jpg

post-40754-1232496316_thumb.jpg

Edited by pendergraft

Sapphire Aquatics NANO REACTOR

My newest Mod today Chamber 1 added the nano reactor with carbon and phosban

looks like it works good nice movement thru filter media that way I know it's working.

Saving chamber 2 for their NC12 soon as I get it.

the quality of their product looks great...

post-40767-1232505232_thumb.jpg

thanks for adding me to the list, any questions people have feel free to PM me

i've recently started Vodka and Amino Dosing, Updates are in my thread if anyone feels like taking a look, chaged my lighting back to the 150w 20k radium and 2 Giessman atinic +'s, will have new pics up within the next 2 weeks

oh my fraggin gosh!

Anyway. I wish they made an affordable kit for the 8gallon version. I just got the 8 gallon myself after my DIY tank crashed because I used the wrong Silicone.

Easy way to slice off that 3/4 remaining valve is to heat up a knife and slice that baby nice and easy. That's what I did.

I just go at BioCube 14g and I have a question on weather or not its glass? I know I read a discussion on it before but I couldn't find the thread. I swear it scratches way to easily to be glass.What kinds of cleaning tools/mag floats do you all use for the "glass".

I just go at BioCube 14g and I have a question on weather or not its glass? I know I read a discussion on it before but I couldn't find the thread. I swear it scratches way to easily to be glass.What kinds of cleaning tools/mag floats do you all use for the "glass".

It says on their website that is glass "Curved Glass Front Corners"

I have a BioCube 14g and I use the Mag-Float medium for glass (white color). The one for acrylic is blue color.

I don't have any scratches. Make sure there is no sand trapped in between.