Pod Your Reef

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

No, it was my ro/di but that's fixed. I've noticed a really high water level in the third chamber

and just wondered it that was normal?

Glad it was an easy fix. :) The water level in chamber 3 should be about the same height as in chamber 2 and as long as you keep the level constant (top offs) it really won't matter what level the water is at as long as it covers the pump. I keep mine near the top for the extra volume and to minimize the cascading sound into chamber 2. If you have a media rack, make sure you have enough water to cover the macro algae.

I am speaking of the opening at the top of chamber 2 to chamber 3. Not at the bottom where the sponge is. People block the top hole so they can add more water to the tank and not have the second chamber flow over into the third chamber from the top hole. Hopefully that answers your question.

Hi jojoe,

Thanks but now I am really confused. LOL :D The wall separating my chamber 2 from chamber 3 doesn't have any holes at the top and the gap between the top of that wall to the top of the back wall of the tank is about maybe 1/8 - 1/4 inch shorter. Building it up that 1/8 - 1/4 inch would not give me very much more water volume. Plus, you don't want the vertical slits opening into chamber 1 to be totally submerged, you want some air space so you can get some surface skimming. Do yo have a picture of what your talking about? Thanks.

My 14 gal does not have this hole -------

Ditto. My BC 14 doesn't have it either. Jojoe, post a picture of it when you can. It must be one of the newer BC 14s. Any other changes to the design?

post-51427-1269473543_thumb.jpg

Ok well it might be a newer model because I bought it at my LFS in January. Well I dont believe sobut again this is my first BC so I could be wrong.

Ok well it might be a newer model because I bought it at my LFS in January. Well I dont believe sobut again this is my first BC so I could be wrong.

That's the same as mine joejoe.

Got a nice baby false percula though the other day and he's seems to be loving his new home!

reeflective

My new BC29 looks just like that, as well. The back wall of the tank (separating the tank from the filter chambers) seems higher than the older models also. Is the inTank fish saver compatible (or necessary) with these new models (purchased two weeks ago)?

R

Edited by reeflective
That's the same as mine joejoe.

Got a nice baby false percula though the other day and he's seems to be loving his new home!

Yea my fish don't mind the hole in the back just me!!!!!

Well, I'll be darned. My BC 14 doesn't have that and I got it about 3 years ago. As far as blocking it for more water volume, I can see what they are talking about. You won't need to block it for more water volume because water will seek a balance between the 2 chambers. However, it will reduce the flow through the bottom opening and the sponge. Thanks for the pic. :)

The hole in the wall is a vent to allow trapped air to escape out from chamber 2. It was discovered that air was becoming trapped inside chamber 2 causing water to build up on top the drip tray instead of flowing through it. That vent was added when the Biocube filter was revised in 2008. Other changes were the raised filter wall (so fish couldn't jump in the back) and a more textured front wall.

Block the hole if you are running the media basket. Superglue and a piece of plastic will do the job.

+1

If running media basket I would block the hole and remove the sponge. Use filter floss on top of the media basket.

Anyone have the mediabasket with chaeto in the fuge? I have the 5W underwater light and I was wondering if anyone has that setup. How fast does your chaeto grow with it? do you run it 24hrs or opposite the tank lights. How do you know if chaeto is dead.......

Anyone have the mediabasket with chaeto in the fuge? I have the 5W underwater light and I was wondering if anyone has that setup. How fast does your chaeto grow with it? do you run it 24hrs or opposite the tank lights. How do you know if chaeto is dead.......

I have the media basket and double light setup. Run the lights 24 hours (but less would be fine). If the chaeto was dead it would slowly go away ------

Edited by Rick778

i'm finally purchasing an 8 gallon biocube after researching for MONTHS!

it's my first saltwater tank. i wish i could go bigger, but building rules say 'under 10 gallon'.

i'm also planning to modify the tank with all of stevieTs cool stuff.

still questioning which replacement pump to get.

mini jet 606 with a hydor flo??

any feedback is much appreciated.

oh ok...... I only bought one light and just checked it after one week to see what it looked like. didnt look much different and im only running it for 12 hrs. i guess ill see how it looks after another few weeks. i guess then ill decide if i need to up the time or not.

oh ok...... I only bought one light and just checked it after one week to see what it looked like. didnt look much different and im only running it for 12 hrs. i guess ill see how it looks after another few weeks. i guess then ill decide if i need to up the time or not.

Try bumping up your light to 18 hours on, 6 hours off. Might get better results. Also, you might see more of a change over a 4 week period.

Try bumping up your light to 18 hours on, 6 hours off. Might get better results. Also, you might see more of a change over a 4 week period.

Sounds good i will try that today and give it a few weeks.... thanks for the info

So I have the new biocube 14, with the hole, window and fishguard

Just a note, I took the sponge off the pump and put it where the whole from chamber 2/3 is.

Set up chamber 2 like this....

2 3

[ FLOSS ] ]

[ DRIP TRAY ] ]

[ <---Sponge/Hole ]

[ ] ]

[ CHAETO ] ]

[ ] ]

[ CARBON BAG ] ]

[ FILTER FLOSS ]---->PUMP ]

=============================

I was wondering if anyone knew if they upgraded the gph flow in the newer biocubes. I say this because I am thinking of getting a koralia nano but I dont know if I need it for sure.

What kind of glue do you use and what kind of piece

to seal the hole btw 2 and 3. Anyone have any good

tips or experiences? O and MS, has the sponge worked

out plugging the hole?

Edited by reefbike

The sponge actually works well enough to slow down the flow to a point where I know its going down, and not across. However, I did take a piece of plastic and wedge it between the sponge and the wall to be sure. I put a ton of filterfloss on the bottom of chamber two, so I doubt I would need the sponge down there. Seriously though, filter floss is the best way to get particulates out of the water.

I had these old baseball card protectors (PVC), i just cut it in half and put it in between (Sponge and wall), seems to be working great. I can keep the water level much higher now with that in there.

Also, anyone have opinions on the two Koralia nano versions, I see on fosters and smith that there is a Koralia Nano for 34.99 and there is one for 14.99. They seem a little different. Seems the $34.99 is smaller and more powerful, 240gph, and the $14.99 one is 225gph?

I'm gonna tinker with it when I get

home from work today so thanks.

I'm running filter floss on top of ch

2 with chemipure elite on top of false

floor and the flow is just trickling

through that stupid hole. Is there

still actually a hole in the bottom of

2 --> 3? I'm starting to wonder and

my hand is doesn't fit down there

to check.

I've also been running the Koralia Nano

(35$ version) along with a MJ900

and am happy with the movement.

I have, however, been moving it around

a bit deciding on the best spot for my

setup.

I'm gonna tinker with it when I get

home from work today so thanks.

I'm running filter floss on top of ch

2 with chemipure elite on top of false

floor and the flow is just trickling

through that stupid hole. Is there

still actually a hole in the bottom of

2 --> 3? I'm starting to wonder and

my hand is doesn't fit down there

to check.

I've also been running the Koralia Nano

(35$ version) along with a MJ900

and am happy with the movement.

I have, however, been moving it around

a bit deciding on the best spot for my

setup.

There is a hole down there, I lowered the water below the vent-hole and it still ran, so there has to be. the filtration seems great.

As of now, I have a 2x1W blue LED moonlight growing my chaeto, which probably wont work, but you never know. Its the only light I have, and I have it stuck on to the window in chamber 2.

As far as flow, I know my frogspawn/Xenia like as little flow as possible, but I dont like junk sitting on the bottom of the tank, and I know the more flow, the better. I am going to purchase a koralia nano ($34.99) and hopefully I can position it to a spot that wont blown down my xenia. I dont think I need the maxijet yet.

The Xenia pulse like crazy if i turn the pumps off.....

What kind of glue do you use and what kind of piece

super glue

you can use anything, most have scrap plastic they can cut with a razor like a CD case.

This stupid hole btw chambers 2 and 3 is a pain in my a**. Has anyone

found out what the purpose of it is? My sealing job pretty much sucks and

it's still leaking like a siv. When I shined a light down there on it there was

a bunch of dried up sealant in and around it that I had to razor blade off

first(not easy getting my hand in there for that one). Now I'm afraid to take

it back off because of potential leaching from the glue I used. arrrggggggg....

I did all this while in the middle of a water change thinking that would

be the easiest time.....Just waiting now hoping all the livestock survives.