SaltCritters.com

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

Just curious guys, has anyone even totally re-sealed the back? I just stripped out the whole thing cause I could not stop a leak. I noticed there was a pretty large gap from the plastic wall to the glass. I am guessing its going to be a ton of silicon to get this attached. Looks like its about a 3 mm gap. 

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Recently moved and settled down so I am looking to keep some corals again.  Basically had a FOWLR tank for years but have taken the inhabitants and transferred them to a Biocube 32 LED.  Had a mini cycle but now my params

nitrate 80ppm

nitrate 0ppm

NH4 0ppm

PH 8.2

obviously I have a nitrate issue.  My bioload is a mated pair of false percs.  Basically running a stock setup with filter floss and a bag of chemipure.  Skimmer options are limited I really dont believe there is an option to add a skimmer to this tank that would make much of a difference.  WC obviously however I am not sure whats the best way to get my water quality where I want it.  Mini fuge in chamber 2?  a reactor?  Open to ideas.

regards

• Like 1

I have seen people running all of those things. Skimmer in chamber 1, media basket in chamber 2 along with the fuge basket (intank). I might do a intank setup later on down the road when money is not tight. 

Five.five-six

how did your reseal work out? @Dominator

@snostorm those perams look fine for FOWLR, I'd work on nitrate but way too much nitrate for coral.

Also, I did the 16/22 ehime hose+ remove 90 degree elbow + cobalt MJ900 return mod, I did make a mark on the water level window before the mod and the level went down after the mod, empirically proves that there is more flow with less watts with this mod and it's silent. 

• Like 1

Its up and running now. Had some issues with the water level and amount. Skimmer in chamber 1 was blocking the overflow. I have not removed the tab though that that splits chambers 1 and 2. Also, temp went up 2F with the glass top on and with my LED. Was sitting at about 80. I did have some overflow on the front rim, condesation and seems to build there and a little water will come down the glass. So I applied a line of silicon to the top rim where it meets the glass. 

Does anyone run their HQI with the glass lid on? SO much condensation on the glass after a bit that I am sure its cutting my light in half, if not more. 

Can check it out  here

nanoreefer20

Hello everyone I currently have a corlife biocube 29 and I am looking to get a skimmer (tunze 9001) and a media reactor (IM minimax) . What should I get first? And is a media reactor worth the money? 

I would go with a skimmer first. Just me though. Reactors for sure work, in fact, it's probably the best way to run carbon, GFO whatever. The reason being is that with a reactor, pretty much all the water passes through the media. This does not happen when you just drop a bag of it in a sump or in your filter. This does work though and that's why I recommend the skimmer over the reactor first. You can use carbon or whatever media you want, in your filter. It's not the best way, but it works. You can not really skim unless you have a skimmer.  I have an Aqualife 115 in chamber 1 and I can tell you that the stuff it pulls out is pretty nasty. Below is about 2 days worth of skim. I skim on the wetter side as you can see, but I can not complain about the results, it speaks for itself. 

IMG_6070.JPG

• Like 1
Five.five-six

The best I can tell, and I am running a Remora HOB on my BC29, the Aquamaxx HOB-1 or HOB-1.5 is really the very best skimmer for the biocube.  

Anyone running the glass lid on their HQI? It seems if I run the glass lid, the condensation is so bad that it leaks water from under the top rim. The water is about 1.5" from the top, but the condensation builds inside and a small leak down the front. I have been trying to silicon the top rim, but it seems like its not wanting to seal up, even though it looks like its sealed from the inside looking out. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone running a BioCube 16 LED? It would appear the space constraints for the 29/32 are even more real on this fellow. 

A new member was able to remove the false floor to completely open up chamber 1. I might do the same. 

Currently running filter floss and carbon in Chamber 2. 

What else should be done to attack excess heat and improve water quality?

• 4 weeks later...

BC 29 owners: here's your opportunity. I was given a lovely gift of an old style (but brand new) BC 29 inTank flow directo but I don't have a BC 29. I would like to pay it forward to someone who can use it. First pm gets it. I may ask you to prove you have a BC 29 (tank thread will suffice). 

20171025_175435.jpg

• 1 month later...

BioCube /bros,

How and what do you feed your corals and how frequently - and what are the associated upkeep consequences of your feeding schedule.

I'm asking to get an idea of efforts required to produce low, medium, and high coral growth in addition to the input of efforts. 

I ask the BioCube owners because I believe our dimensions are such that optimal flow and "dead spots" are a constant balance. I don't want to dump bioload in with no return on benefits.

Any experiences would be great!

• 3 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:07 AM, Dominator said:

Anyone running the glass lid on their HQI? It seems if I run the glass lid, the condensation is so bad that it leaks water from under the top rim. The water is about 1.5" from the top, but the condensation builds inside and a small leak down the front. I have been trying to silicon the top rim, but it seems like its not wanting to seal up, even though it looks like its sealed from the inside looking out. 

I do. Never had that problem really. I ran without the lid for a while but lost a couple fish due to them jumping out. Have you tried just adding something small to the front of the glass where it rests on the lip so that condensation flows towards the back of the tank?

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:39 AM, Dominator said:

I would go with a skimmer first. Just me though. Reactors for sure work, in fact, it's probably the best way to run carbon, GFO whatever. The reason being is that with a reactor, pretty much all the water passes through the media. This does not happen when you just drop a bag of it in a sump or in your filter. This does work though and that's why I recommend the skimmer over the reactor first. You can use carbon or whatever media you want, in your filter. It's not the best way, but it works. You can not really skim unless you have a skimmer.  I have an Aqualife 115 in chamber 1 and I can tell you that the stuff it pulls out is pretty nasty. Below is about 2 days worth of skim. I skim on the wetter side as you can see, but I can not complain about the results, it speaks for itself. 

+1. I have the same skimmer (the 2nd of the same type actually) and it does work. I wish the skimmate would get a little darker but it's easy to replace that extra lost saltwater.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently ordered the In Tank media basket but I accidentally ordered the Coralife version so it's a little too tall for my Biocube 29 HQI because of the false bottom. The diverter came in cracked so Amazon just gave it to me for free.

I was considering just cutting the basket down a little, but I was thinking about just removing that false bottom. Is there any reason I shouldn't? I can't recall the original point of it.

Simulated Fish
On 4/18/2018 at 2:53 PM, Nocturnal said:

I recently ordered the In Tank media basket but I accidentally ordered the Coralife version so it's a little too tall for my Biocube 29 HQI because of the false bottom. The diverter came in cracked so Amazon just gave it to me for free.

I was considering just cutting the basket down a little, but I was thinking about just removing that false bottom. Is there any reason I shouldn't? I can't recall the original point of it.

Sorry I know this is a late reply!

It just helps regulate flow to the the carbon pad filter, no reason not to remove it if your not using stock filter pads.

14 hours ago, Hippieheadshot said:

Sorry I know this is a late reply!

It just helps regulate flow to the the carbon pad filter, no reason not to remove it if your not using stock filter pads.

It seemed easier to just cut down the in tank basket so I went that route. Thanks man. The basket is working great. 

• 3 months later...

Hi biocubers,

I'm wondering if a biocube would be a good AIO system for the tank I currently have in the planning/dreaming stage. I've been out of the hobby for about a decade and am ready to get my feet wet again. The realities of my life mean that the tank will need to accommodate my occasional long work trips (sometimes 2+ weeks) and a possible move in the next 2-5 years.

My parents kept my old hooded 14 gal tank (can't remember the exact brand) when I went off to college (also 55 and 46 gal reef tanks, and a couple of freshwater tanks...I really managed to get them hooked 😈) and what I love(d) about that tank is that even though it is so small there is very little evaporation and salt creep thanks to the lid. I figure that would be good for when I am away, so I've ruled out a lot of the rimless AIO options out there.

I like the idea of the slightly larger tank for greater stability, so I'm considering either a new biocube 32 LED or getting a used biocube 29 off of craigslist.

Here are the questions I've got:

1. Which size biocube (if any) would you go for in my situation? Is there a different tank you think I should consider instead?
  2. Is the stock LED lighting on the 32 enough for a mix of simple corals like GSP, ricordea, mushrooms, a yellow leather coral, clove polyps or xenia, and maybe an LPS like a candycane or a favites? (If not, I will probably lean towards a used 29 that has already had the lights upgraded).
  3. Should I get a skimmer (keeping in mind that I probably can't get my pet sitter to empty the skimmate when I am away!)?
  4.  What other equipment would you suggest (ATO?) to keep the tank stable?
  5. Any other tips on setting up a biocube system that can handle me being gone every now and then? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Hi All,

We were gifted a BioCube 29 (or so we think) from a neighbor who was moving. My concern is we only have two back chambers and I am trying to find a media tray that will work.  Has anyone seen a BioCube with only two compartments, it also has filter slats running down the right inside of the tank, all other BioCubes I have seen only have them at the top.  I have attached a picture, if anyone can give me an idea of what media tray will fit?

A30F7343-2873-43ED-90F1-9C5AFAFF2F14.jpeg

61007EC1-C6C1-46D4-AE73-150261ADA5B7.jpeg

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/19/2009 at 1:41 PM, scubs said:

How do you control the temperature in your BioCube???

I can't seem to make it work to the temp i want it to be. It always runs high like 81F or 82F, even though i have set the heater to 76F. During night it's 80.5F. The apartment is 65F.

I have the Jager 50W heater in the first chamber. I tuned the heater off, and waited for the tank temperature to drop to 76F. Then I pulled out the little button on the heater and set the temp to 76F. But when I turn the heater on the water gets way above 76F.

I put a surface fan on a timer to come on when my full spectrum lights come on.  Even though it's led.  It cools the tank about 1.5 degrees.  Ph and I also took the top off of my tank and added a smart ato

On 8/7/2018 at 3:25 PM, chipz said:

Hi biocubers,

I'm wondering if a biocube would be a good AIO system for the tank I currently have in the planning/dreaming stage. I've been out of the hobby for about a decade and am ready to get my feet wet again. The realities of my life mean that the tank will need to accommodate my occasional long work trips (sometimes 2+ weeks) and a possible move in the next 2-5 years.

My parents kept my old hooded 14 gal tank (can't remember the exact brand) when I went off to college (also 55 and 46 gal reef tanks, and a couple of freshwater tanks...I really managed to get them hooked 😈) and what I love(d) about that tank is that even though it is so small there is very little evaporation and salt creep thanks to the lid. I figure that would be good for when I am away, so I've ruled out a lot of the rimless AIO options out there.

I like the idea of the slightly larger tank for greater stability, so I'm considering either a new biocube 32 LED or getting a used biocube 29 off of craigslist.

Here are the questions I've got:

1. Which size biocube (if any) would you go for in my situation? Is there a different tank you think I should consider instead?
  2. Is the stock LED lighting on the 32 enough for a mix of simple corals like GSP, ricordea, mushrooms, a yellow leather coral, clove polyps or xenia, and maybe an LPS like a candycane or a favites? (If not, I will probably lean towards a used 29 that has already had the lights upgraded).
  3. Should I get a skimmer (keeping in mind that I probably can't get my pet sitter to empty the skimmate when I am away!)?
  4.  What other equipment would you suggest (ATO?) to keep the tank stable?
  5. Any other tips on setting up a biocube system that can handle me being gone every now and then? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Go with largest possible that fits your budget.  If u buy it used on cl, make sure it has no leaks, clean I very thoroughly with vinegar. Soak, scrub, scrape, let dry and run water soak to make sure you get all of it clean.  Then to answer your questions:

1. Biggest the budget allows

2. Most will suffice. Depends of condition if you bought used.  Most of us upgraded our lights.

3. Depends on your filtration set up.  Most of us ran media basket, and fuge.  I opted to run skimmer in chamber 1 just for added filtration.

4. Ato makes life easier especially since evaporation changes our balance quickly in smaller volume tanks. Fuge, media basket, heater.

5. Get rid of stock filtration filter pad, buy a media basket (intank is a good one). Run floss, chemipure elite, carbon. Get a fuge and throw in some chaeto with a led algae light on back glass to help the macro algae grow.  Upgrade return pump or add circulation pump in disppay.

Good luck

• 7 months later...
XxreeffreakxX

Been out of the hobby 8 years. Came across a gently used Oceanic biocube 29 recently. Going to mod it out. and this is why I’m here🙂

I’m going 90% sps. I plan on using a Aquatic Life 115 mini skimmer, Innovative Marine desktop reactor with pellets. I’d like to keep the hood and upgrade to LED but I have two problems. 1. I’m not really a DYI LED guy. 2. I can’t find a retrofit kit that fits. Any help? 

Ive scrapped the black paint off the back so I can see everything. Have not set up yet. Just planning it all out. Any recommendations? 

I used to keep an 75 sps reef, wanted to challenge of a nano sps. Cheers. 

• 5 weeks later...
Cpl_Wiggles
On 4/6/2020 at 8:15 AM, XxreeffreakxX said:

Been out of the hobby 8 years. Came across a gently used Oceanic biocube 29 recently. Going to mod it out. and this is why I’m here🙂

I’m going 90% sps. I plan on using a Aquatic Life 115 mini skimmer, Innovative Marine desktop reactor with pellets. I’d like to keep the hood and upgrade to LED but I have two problems. 1. I’m not really a DYI LED guy. 2. I can’t find a retrofit kit that fits. Any help? 

Ive scrapped the black paint off the back so I can see everything. Have not set up yet. Just planning it all out. Any recommendations? 

I used to keep an 75 sps reef, wanted to challenge of a nano sps. Cheers. 

Steve's LED for BioCube 29/32. I have one for my 16 and like it. Many have had success with just the stock lights, but for SPS looks like you'll need an upgraded array. That being said, it's not perfect and many go with no cover for SPS.