Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

zoanthids wont open. any info on why would be great

reefbuildr30

reefbuildr30

i have 3 small frags of zoanthids in my 24 gallon aquapod with the 2X48 watt t5 fixture by current. my tank is been up and running for 4 months. all of my other corals look good and open but the zoanthids wont. they still look plump but they just dont open up all the way. very frustating. my amonia is 0 ph is 8.0 nitrites 0 and my nitrates were 20 this morning. i did a 5 gallon water change. i have had a phosphate problem. last week that was at 0.5 and i have got it down to 0.2 using a phosphate filter sponge. any help would be great thanks.

reefbuildr30
how long have the zoas been in your tank?

one colony has been in about a month one has been in for about 2 weeks and i just added some pink ones 3 days ago

Maybe something is irritating them. Get a close look for flatworms or parasites. You could try an iodine dip to see if that would help.

i have 3 small frags of zoanthids in my 24 gallon aquapod with the 2X48 watt t5 fixture by current. my tank is been up and running for 4 months. all of my other corals look good and open but the zoanthids wont. they still look plump but they just dont open up all the way. very frustating. my amonia is 0 ph is 8.0 nitrites 0 and my nitrates were 20 this morning. i did a 5 gallon water change. i have had a phosphate problem. last week that was at 0.5 and i have got it down to 0.2 using a phosphate filter sponge. any help would be great thanks.

Ive had my tank for over 5 months now, with lots of zoas, and im learning that the "close-up-for-no-reason" is a zoa thing. I will have some close up for days and then reopen for no reason at all that I can see, im sure the zoa has a reason. As long as they dont start looking "mushy" or shrinking dramatically dont worry about it. Probably nothing that you are doing.

reefbuildr30

one colony has been in there for a month and one has been in there for 2 weeks and i just added some pink ones 3 days ago. they just dont fully open like they were when i bought them

moneyman6891

I had some that stayed closed all the time in my 24 aquapod, then I added a mj400 and they are open all time with the increased flow.

AcroporaLokani

Maybe try more flow? Or try putting them in an area where they get more flow, I recently put one of my zoa colonies in a higher flow part of the tank and they were very happy.

Archived