SaltCritters.com

January 2009 - GobyInPeace

Christopher Marks

Goby, how are your pumps set up around the tank? Right now I'm contemplating a 40b build and I was looking at building a closed loop pushing about 800gph through an OM squirt on top of a 200gph flow through a refugium. Granted, the idea was SPS, but now that I see your work of art, I question those plans.

Have you ever checked your pH after lights out? No big swings?

I have them set in a Gyre type pattern. Starting from the back right the pumps are aimed in a counterclockwise rotation with the last one in sequence pointing against the flow to create some misdirection. It works well for my set-up.

Sounds like your plan is sound though. You could always drop the CL flow down from 800 with a smaller pump.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2YearOldElegance

I have 2 questions for the Peace Goby :)

1 - How did you come up with the idea of stuffing chaeto behind LR? I thought this idea sounded strange at first, since a plant would typically want max light. But at second glance, I guess it would have all the wonderful benefits you mentioned, yet this way, it won't grow out of control because it only receives limited light. Is that a fair assessment?

2 - What are the potential negatives associated with a 3-day blackout? And why 3 days - is there a reason 72 hours would kill more algae than say 24 or 48 hours?

Thanks. I really like these 2 unique ideas.

• 1 month later...

Man, I really love the vibe you got going with this BT, couldnt help but put a smile on my face and make me think "groovin". Nice work on the tone as well. Great entry man.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Sorry This is so late.

I have 2 questions for the Peace Goby :)

1 - How did you come up with the idea of stuffing chaeto behind LR? I thought this idea sounded strange at first, since a plant would typically want max light. But at second glance, I guess it would have all the wonderful benefits you mentioned, yet this way, it won't grow out of control because it only receives limited light. Is that a fair assessment?

2 - What are the potential negatives associated with a 3-day blackout? And why 3 days - is there a reason 72 hours would kill more algae than say 24 or 48 hours?

Thanks. I really like these 2 unique ideas.

1.) I have always stocked some type of macro algae in my display, chaeto was just another type but its ugly so I hid it. The chaeto gets plenty of light and cutting back is the only way to control it.

2.)I have not encountered any negatives yet but others have lost already stressed corals. "is there a reason 72 hours would kill more algae than say 24 or 48 hours?" One more day with-out light makes a significant difference. That's just the nature of things.

• 1 year later...
Fearlessmoto

omgomgomg:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: The fish gods opened up and sent that tank for all to see,

FREAKIN AWESOME before and after, the color and clarity of that tank are INCREDIBLE! you have just given me a life goal to work towards.

Archived