Innovative Marine Aquariums

January 2009 - GobyInPeace

Christopher Marks

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats GobyInPeace :happy: Your tank is absolutely stunning, beautiful with lots of colors. All the colors and corals are place so nicely that makes the tank look so amazing! :happy:

Very nice! Definitely one of my favorite tank :happy:

I just wanna say that this tank even looks brighter in person.The colors just pop out like crazy and couldnt believe my eyes today when got to check it out.

Oh my.

I had been wandering around this forum (new to it as of today) and I had read several threads with the usual forum one-up-man-ship that invades a public venue such as this...I'm not new to aquaria but new to salt water tanks, and was looking for some time/money saving tips and general information and was battered with the usual chest pounding that goes on. I was reaching for my mouse, ready to search elsewhere when I saw this thread.

I no longer care WHAT is going on in those other threads. I am inspired.

An incredible example of living art. Thank you so much for your dedication to your hobby.

Now, I have a goal.

I'll try not to stalk you, but can't guarantee it. B)

Wolf

stunning tank! VERY nice! I can only aspire to look like that :(

I like the chaeto in the tank idea. I think I may get another little ball of it and stick it in a corner or something. How do you keep it attached or from floating around? or does it just attach it self since it's a plant or what?

The blackout idea sounds like a good one ... I think I may try this, as I am battling some serious algae right now. GHA and the red slime (diatom?) stuff. Since that junk grows off light... eliminating the source sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for the kind responses everyone!

stunning tank! VERY nice! I can only aspire to look like that :(

I like the chaeto in the tank idea. I think I may get another little ball of it and stick it in a corner or something. How do you keep it attached or from floating around? or does it just attach it self since it's a plant or what?

The blackout idea sounds like a good one ... I think I may try this, as I am battling some serious algae right now. GHA and the red slime (diatom?) stuff. Since that junk grows off light... eliminating the source sounds like a good idea.

The chaeto is wedged between the rocks and glass and can't go anywhere.

Good luck with the blackout. There is a big thread I started on RC about 3 days with-out lights it has lots of info you might want to check out.

nice, kinda crossing the line of nano though!

There are quite a few 40 breeders on this site in case you have not noticed. There are also quite a few smaller tanks that have more elaborate set-ups and total water volume than mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful tank! Question about the dragonface pipefish. I am dying to get one but have not pulled the trigger yet. I have alligator pipefish that eat painfully slow. If the flow in my tank was any faster, I would wonder if they would starve chasing down food. Has your pipefish adapted to your currents well when feeding? I think mine actually likes the current when not feeding. Seems to hang out by the high current areas a lot.

Thanks for the kind responses everyone!

Very well deserved, can you explain how to use Aqua Clear as a surface skimmer?

Thanks

There is an attachment Hagen makes that I modified using parts from an old HOB.

Here is a pic:

SurfaceSkimmer.jpg

*Drilling the holes allowed the skimmer to run silent and eliminated air bubbles from being released by the HOB.

Beautiful tank! Question about the dragonface pipefish. I am dying to get one but have not pulled the trigger yet. I have alligator pipefish that eat painfully slow. If the flow in my tank was any faster, I would wonder if they would starve chasing down food. Has your pipefish adapted to your currents well when feeding? I think mine actually likes the current when not feeding. Seems to hang out by the high current areas a lot.

Thanks! I reduced my flow dramatically for the pipefish. I changed out all 4 of my powerheads for mini powerfilters. These little filters have smaller grates of which the pipefish can not fit through. They are configured to create a Gyre pattern or a wide band of flow rotating around the rock work. The flow is gentle but effective. Dragon face pipefish behave much differently than other pipefish. Mine basically roams the tanks subtrate and rock like a slow mandarin. It is almost always laying along the substrate, rock work and corals. Its behavior is much more like snake than a fish. Mine is now taking frozen baby brine and has grown considerably in the few months I have had it.

Archived