Cultivated Reef

Hydor Flo Deflector

AngelicDiablo

AngelicDiablo

Hi Gang and Happy New Year,

I bought one of these a while back. I really like it but I have a problem. I've got the correct adaptor on it and when I install it, it stays on for about a week and then it pops off. Doesn't seem to want to hold on after a while. Anybody know of a way to make it stay?? Thanks, Oscar

You could try wrapping some of that plumbers "thread tape" around the outlet and see if it will snug the fit up some. I personally didn't like the Hydor Flo but you didn't ask me, so.... :D

rubberband, superglue, teflon tape (try the tape first)

EDIT: riemer beat me to it.

teflon, I forgot the technical name. Thanks. ;)

As Scott and dan have said, the teflon tape works well.

But, I find you must replace the tape about every third time you remove the Hydorflo to clean / clear / otherwise repair the unit because it has stopped rotating again.....so about 3-4 times a week or so. ;)

I had the same problem. I tried teflon tape for a while but it would still fall off. I finally drilled a small hole through the fitting and used a small piece of wire to secure the deflector onto the outlet. That did the trick for me.

I did not use super glue as I wanted to be able to remove the deflector every now and then for cleaning and to remove stuff that clog the device.

Hope this helps.

I used one drop of superglue on opposing sides. Keeps it on yet if I need to remove just a slight twist will pop the glue. Reapply two drops and goo to go.

I used one drop of superglue on opposing sides. Keeps it on yet if I need to remove just a slight twist will pop the glue. Reapply two drops and goo to go.

about 1" of black 3/4" (IIRC) tubing does the job as well

This.

petkingdom619

how about a zip tie around it?pull it tight with some pliers. I have hydor flo around somewhere but havent tried it out yet

Scott Riemer
how about a zip tie around it?pull it tight with some pliers. I have hydor flo around somewhere but havent tried it out yet

As mentioned before, you have to remove these regularly to clean, or repair the Hydor Flo when it stops rotating. The zip tie might hold it on but would be more of a pain to remove I would think.

I found that a short piece of 3/4" tubing works better that the adapters that came with it (at least on a 28HQI fitting).

Archived