Pod Your Reef

TCK's Aquapod 12

thecowkid

Dude that ones Deep :). You not only forgot to send them, but you forgot your addy so that I could send you your white ones.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay fellow followers I need some help. I need to find some really small fans. I mean like 1.25" square x I dunno no more than .5" thick. I know that they are made I use to buy them from allelectronics.com. But I can not seam to find them anywhere. The closest I can find is 40 mm square x 10 mm http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store...LING-FAN/1.html

or

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store...LING-FAN/1.html

This one is a 5v smaller fan.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store...LING-FAN/1.html

The only big diff that I can see in these two fans is 2 mm in thickness and the number and size ogf blades. Which one would you go with?

So if your needing something to search 4 can you help me find the unicorn. I am planning on mounting these on the side of the heatsink and blow across the entire thing.

Or does anyone see why this should not work. I am thinkin 4 or 5 fans. 2 on one side and 2 or 3 on the other side this way one side of the sink would not be cooler than the other.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Dennis my fan delima has been resolved. As soon as slowpoke paypal gets funds transfered they will be shipped. As time has passed my mind never stopped mind tinkering. After some thought I deciede to add two UV leds powered by a 700MH puck. So back to the drill press and taps. I am looking forward to getting this build wrapped up.

Sure, a pic of what part? I got the sink from heat sink USA. Way to much $$$ to burn off that much material. I did do all the tap work myself if thats what your asking.

ITEMS HAVE BEEN SHIPPED! yeah me! lol. it's on its way and shoud be there on friday or saturday. cant wait to see your's done also. i think im going to add uv's to my bc14 too to get that extra color and use those as moonlights too. it was good talking to you in person too. :D pitchers soon!

cool, i will look into it in the mean time im off to find this silicone..hopefully wally world has it..if not i must save the excitement for tomorrow. and also, i had read about the maxi 900 i'll look into it at the shop tomorrow. thanks again! fingerscrossed

Glad to help paul. remember take pics.

Okay so I got a nice little package from Dennis today. Thanks alot, I loved it. You had my wife flyin off the couch to see what was going on in our bed room. :blush: Good times.

So now that I have all you wondering what I got. Well I got 2 UV leds, 2 new Royal Blue leds. "Thanks" and 4 Silent X fans. A volcano cigar :) :) and well. um ugh...I am so gonna just have to take pics of this. But well Dennis brought the sexy back to my tank. Just take my word for it, I now have the coolest fuge lights ever produced. Your just gonna have to wait for the build completions pics.

Sad thing is I am gonna have to wait to buy the 700mh puck for the uv's for a bit. The wife is gettin a bit huffy about all the $$ I am spending. I guess its time to get her another Coach bag. :)

Vegas up baby. You know if I could post a vid in a reply I would. But I think a pic is gonna have to do. I lazy. But it was funny that you sent a pole dancer and a pole with the fans. LOL I could go on for days with this one.

LOL Richie. See now your gonna have to watch closer. Kinda feel outta the loop dontcha? Sorry...But maybe a long ago chat about the B-ranch will bring you back up to speed.

All right...the time has come. The fans are in, all the LED's are placed. Wiring is in the layout stage. Oh and the dancer is on chrome.

Dennis. My front row of LEDs..The lens are just barely touching the stock splash guard. Do you think this will cause any problems?

Pics are soon to come.

All right...the time has come. The fans are in, all the LED's are placed. Wiring is in the layout stage. Oh and the dancer is on chrome.

Dennis. My front row of LEDs..The lens are just barely touching the stock splash guard. Do you think this will cause any problems?

Pics are soon to come.

no problems at all! the LEDs on my bc are smashed up against it and no problems so far. so no worries

did you wire the fans in 2 sets and in series in each set?

Great. Thanks. I just noticed somehting that pissed me of. Today I just had the hood shell sitting on top of the tank. Well luck would have it as the under cabnet halogen lights have warped three nice circle patterns in the hood. GRRRR.

Okay Richie. RU tryin to be like Lisa and not use werds ne mor? Or are u just holdin our for mor pitchurs.

Waiting for the b-ranch, pole, wavy-ness I guess.

If not, pichers would be nice :happy:

Sorry 'bout the hood buddy. :(

Well after much time and tribulations she is done. Well all that can be completed at the moment.

Here is a pic with the blue and whites on turned to just a smidge above all the way off. I still cannot get over how bright these things are. My little clown fish scurried into the holes in the rock and were like :eek:

IMG_8320.jpg

So lets start. I gutted the hood. Dont know what happend to the NO GUTS NO GLORY pic. But I cannot find it. No bother though it was just of the hood gutted with only the three factory switches installed. But for those who may wanna do this I used a diamond disk on my dremal and cut all the indented vents from the inside of the hood. Along with the flat sections of plastic that goes between the four screw post on the smaller fans.

I installed 4 Silent X fans "Thanks Dennis" on this setup. They come with 4 silicone bumpers in each fan. I found that these make a perfect mounting system.

Silicone bumpers.

IMG_8305.jpg

I decided to use regular silicone to actually glue the two bigger fans into the hood. This in conjunction with the silicone bumpers isolates any vibs that the fan generate. Less vibs=less noise.

IMG_8316.jpg

Now lets move to the wiring on this critter. I knew that I wanted to keep the stock look of the hood as well as it function. That was easier than ever expected. I used the power supply to power all the fans and the leds. By doing the I only needed one main power wire entering the hood. This left the hood wit one plug that hat a 1/4" hole in it. I filled this hile with clear silicone.

IMG_8310.jpg

Wiring. Okay I'll admit it. I hate wires. I hate seeing them. I will take hours wiring something even if its going to be closed up like this hood. But neat wired are safe wires. In doing so I used a small breadboard. I know I was lazy and didnt feel like etching a nifty circuit board. Maybe later. Any way thid board allowed me to bring in the + and - terminals then neatly branch from that point.

IMG_8314.jpg

As you can see I ran one common neutal across all three switches. Then dropped a neutral down to the board. This allows the fans to be turned on when the white led's are powered. Just like the stock light setup.

Here is a full shot of the hoods fans and wiring.

IMG_8312.jpg

Well heres the rub on the LEDS.. I decided to go with a 4 x 3 setup. Alternating the LED's Blue white... After I had all the LED's mounted and wired Dennis inspired me to add two UV's So those went in the in the middle of the second row of LED's Look closely and you will see the black based LED's. Thats them. I have yet to pick up the 700MH Puck for those. But the hood has been drilled to accomidate the pot. Always gotta thing forward. :P

IMG_8317.jpg

While looking at the heat sink sitting in the hood I couldnt figure out a clean way to mount it into the hood. I really hated the thought of messing the clean look up with some straps or L brackets. So...I used a little dab of silicone under the corners of the heatsink. Along with this the factory splash guard held in in just fine.

IMG_8318.jpg

As a few others have done I decided to pilfer the mounting location of the pots. I really wanted them hid, but was unable to do so and still have the back of them protected from the water of the tank. So sadly they are in view.

IMG_8322.jpg

The open hole will be used for the puck/pot that will drive the UV LED's. Now I've gotta find those knobs. I am actually thinking of trying to find some dome knobs. Thats just a quirk that I have. I dont want to have 1970's knobs on a hi-tech tank. Plus no one has domed knobs yet. I may have to make them. Oh well.

If you look closely at this pic you can see the small spot on the back left that got melted by the halogen lights.

IMG_8323.jpg

Archived