beginner corals

marinebiologist

marinebiologist

i am starting a 12 g nano cub as my first sw and wanted to know if there are any hardy corals. and will they thrive under a 24w fluorescent bulb.

no way man. get a cheap t5 setup for like $100 n u can get some colt corals and zooanthids. they have some awesome info under the lighting section on this web site.

i am starting a 12 g nano cub as my first sw and wanted to know if there are any hardy corals. and will they thrive under a 24w fluorescent bulb.

Mushrooms, zoos, many "soft" corals will do ok under the stock lighting.

BTW, :welcome: to N-R.com

marinebiologist
Mushrooms, zoos, many "soft" corals will do ok under the stock lighting.

BTW, :welcome: to N-R.com

can you give me some specific names because i dont have enough money t buy a 100$ light. and will serpant stars survive in a 12 gallon or do they get to big

can you give me some specific names because i dont have enough money t buy a 100$ light. and will serpant stars survive in a 12 gallon or do they get to big

Go to different on-line stores that sell coral. Look at corals labeled "easy" or "beginner" corals. You should be able to keep most of those unless they say the lighting or flow requirement is "high". I would say no on the serpent star.

Look at mushrooms, soft corals, and even a few LPS corals are considered "easy". But I'd hold off on LPS at first.

Oh, one more thing, don't let a LFS talk you into buying something until you've done the research on it and understand it's needs.

marinebiologist
Go to different on-line stores that sell coral. Look at corals labeled "easy" or "beginner" corals. You should be able to keep most of those unless they say the lighting or flow requirement is "high". I would say no on the serpent star.

Look at mushrooms, soft corals, and even a few LPS corals are considered "easy". But I'd hold off on LPS at first.

thanks for the info

marinebiologist
If you don't have 100 bones for a light, reef-keeping may not be the hobby for you.

its just hard to get money because im only in 8th grade and not old enough to get a job

its just hard to get money because im only in 8th grade and not old enough to get a job

my son is a fellow reefer on here, hes also an 8th grader and he does very well mowing lawns, extra yard work, odd jobs for neighbors. You definately are old enough to be earning money and you should be, its great for you. He loves earning money then deciding what to spend his earnings on.

You can also look for florida ricordeas they should do fairly well under 24w lighting.

Good luck

marinebiologist

i live in the desert and have no neighbors, thanks for the thought and the info on the florida ricordeas

Archived