Innovative Marine Aquariums

Goby / Pistol shrimp pairing info...

thebrainbot

I was looking at possibly doing a goby/pistol shrimp pair in either my 24g NC or my upcoming 10g AGA tank.

Couple questions... are there particular goby's that do not pair with pistol shrimp?

And for those that do, will they become more reclusive if paired?

And are there any particular gobies that won't work well with clown fish, dwarf angels, or fairy wrasses?

Are any of the gobies particularly aggressive or a danger to reefs?

Okay, so I won't have to worry about specific gobies causing issues or being eaten by the others? This will be the first fish in the tank. I only have corals, snails and a cleaner shrimp right now.

And there are no particular ones that will not bond with the shrimp?

Wow... excellent links cliff! Thanks for those.

The reefkeeping reference was great.

I'm slightly worried about the tunneling. The bed in my tank is only just over an inch (or maybe it's closer to 2). The RK article mentions adding a piece of PVC tubing to help stabalize the tunnel...

But I dunno, you think that would work with a shallower bed?

BustytheSnowMaam

I would suggest buying a pre-matched pair from Liveaquaria, this way you know you have a pair that's compatible and already bonded. If you click on "Diver's Den" then "fish" they usually have a few pairs available. I have a pinkbar goby paired with a redbanded pistol shrimp and they're fun to watch. Some types of pistols in the hobby do not pair with gobies, and there's a 50/50 chance if they're compatible they won't bond, so it's better to buy them paired IMO.

I bought my yashe hashe and tiger pistol at the same time. The original yashe died and I got another, she went right over to the shrimp when I put her in. No issues with not getting them already paired.

Yeah, my plan was to either get a bonded pair ordered from my LFS or have them pair two in one of their small tank cubes (you know those little divided cube things they have). They give us pretty good deals on livestock there... and I can avoid shipping costs. But it will also depend if they can get the govies I want.

but I'll still take a look at divers den.

Thanks guys.

Ah, one more thing...

Firefish are not real gobies... but will there be a problem if I had a purple firefish and a goby together?

and how about two paired shrimp gobies? Will they pair with a shrimp still? Or would I need 2 shrimp?

Ah, one more thing...

Firefish are not real gobies... but will there be a problem if I had a purple firefish and a goby together?

and how about two paired shrimp gobies? Will they pair with a shrimp still? Or would I need 2 shrimp?

Not sure about the firefish question, I don't see why there would be a problem though.

You can have 2 fish to one shrimp if they are a mated pair.

Firefish are not in the family Gobiidae, but they are completely peaceful with other fish. Firefish (unlike other dartfish) are aggressive to each other, except if you get a mated pair. Randall's pistol shrimp (aka candy stripe pistol) is a "promiscuous" shrimp that pairs with many species of shrimpgoby. I have seen some people who had either mated gobies and a shrimp or one goby and a shrimp pair.

keep in mind that firefish tend to be free swimmers and stick to mostly the top half of the tank and where as watchmen gobies and other gobies that pair well with shrimp tend to stay on the bottom with there shrimp, as for the shallow bed, you shouldn't have any problems just a couple of sand mountains.

another fun part of keeping a pair is that if there are any broken shells they will sometimes build a lil "frame" around their burrow, they are crafty lil guys.

good luck

Ian

Thanks.

I'll have to get going on my lid at some point... It's completely open now that I have the sunpod. I don't want another fish jumping out like my previous firefish... Guess I should go get my glass lid made this weekend.

Think I've got it narrowed down to a Yasha (if I can afford it), orange stripe, pink spotted, blue spotted and tangora goby. I'd like to get 2, but with the 2 clowns and possible wrasse, that would be too much.

Archived