Coral Vue Hydros

El Fab's Simple Guide to Pico Tanks

el fabuloso

I glanced back through this thread and didn't see any suggestions... from searching online, it would appear that now all 3 lights (18W Coralife Mini Aqualight, 18W Current Satellite, and 36W Current Dual Satellite) have been discontinued?

Does anyone have any other good recommendations for 12" power compact solution? (I had hoped to get the 36W Currant Dual) I can't seem to find one (or perhaps my Google-fu is weak.)

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any other good recommendations for 12" power compact solution? (I had hoped to get the 36W Currant Dual) I can't seem to find one (or perhaps my Google-fu is weak.)

Keep searching the classifieds on here. Thats where I found my 36w dual satellite.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thnx for the guide! BUT, were is the cykling part?

It is very simple to find information on this, because for the most part, it is the same as a nano tank.

El Fab, you should do a section on good coral selection and tips on SPS picos

• 7 months later...
It is very simple to find information on this, because for the most part, it is the same as a nano tank.

El Fab, you should do a section on good coral selection and tips on SPS picos

AGREED!!!!

That's more money then I'm willing to spend right now. I was hping to go no more then $150 with taxes and shipping :-P I now plan on doing a AIO wih the same tank now putting a piece of plexi at the end 4 inches from one side and doing a few chambers. Now if the tank is shortened I can do a led diy with a shorter/ cheaper heatsink. Question now is what size should I get with a 20"x12"x12" tank? I want nice light coverage without the narrow spotlight look. I was thinking 12 leds but what would give me a good spread??!?!??! Aso what return should I use? I already have a RIO 2100 with 694 gph flow, it's a bit noisy, I can hear it outside of the tank which I don't like (they always say don't tap on the glass but they don't say DON'T HAVE LOUD PUMPS!). Thanks for any help. :D

Ok I have a 15 gallon 24x12x12 and want to know what ideal lighting for SPS and flow should be? I have a korilia nano 425 and a AC 70 filter already and two 18" t8's

If you're rocking two 18" T8s, even with an upgrade to the lighting, you should think of trying other corals before going for SPS. Most people who have good success with SPS either plan the tank to support them from the beginning or have cut their teeth with other corals. That being said, I would get a pair of Koralia 750s or an MP10 and 4 T5s (check out a sunlight supply tek II).

Also, this is for pico tanks...

Edited by Paleoreef103
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

excellent excellent thread! took and hour and 15 minutes to read but very informational. thanks alot el fab and brandon i have learned much from reading your posts the last 3 weeks...

JamieSheffield

Thanks so much for this super thread!

I'm new to the hobby and to this forum, but am learning through reading first, and have some equipment on the way to start my first saltwater tank (6 gallons...yes, I know this is too large to be a pico, but I'm loving the thread anyway).

Jamie

Edited by JamieSheffield
  • 2 months later...

i've got a jbj pico with 3 lbs of live rock, live sand bed, maroon clown, peppermint shrimp, and a few crabs and snails.

not a single coral i put in there will open, and two of them have died. theyre not hard to grow corals anyway, just a zoa, frogspawn, and a green star pollup, it killed the zoa and the frogspawn, i just don't get it.

the filter and light is stock, 9w 50/50 pc flouresent, and i added a heater and powerhead(very weak)

nitrite

ammonia

nitrate

ph

phosphorus

all of the above tested 0

temp is a constant 78

if anyone's got some answers i'd love to hear it

make a thread for your tank and we will help you. the 1st thing that sticks out is that you shouldnt have a maroon clownfish in a 3gallon tank...

do you think thats the reason the coral won't open

The reason they won't open is because the light isn't very strong. Try mushrooms. The maroon is bad because it is wayyyyyyyyyyyy tttttttoooooooooooooooooo biiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggg for your tank. You are limeted to small gobies and possibly small damsels. Your crabs can also be bothering your coral. What filter are you using?

The reason they won't open is because the light isn't very strong. Try mushrooms. The maroon is bad because it is wayyyyyyyyyyyy tttttttoooooooooooooooooo biiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggg for your tank. You are limeted to small gobies and possibly small damsels. Your crabs can also be bothering your coral. What filter are you using?

I'm using the stock filter....the maroon clown is only a baby, the size of mt thumb. when the time comes i have a 30gallon he can go in but right now he's happy as can be....i have a peppermint shrimp could that be a problem

Do you feed a lot? That could be a reason.

i feed the clown 5 spectrum pellets a day and occasionally cyclops