inTank Media Baskets

El Fab's Simple Guide to Pico Tanks

el fabuloso

Thanks for the great reference post here El Fab. I move around frequently with my job, so I have been an on and off nano enthusiast for the better part of the decade. I just made a move that will stabilize me for about 3 years and your information has absolutely motivated me to try out a 3 gallon. Thanks again.

Wow. You're a serious old timer here! Good luck with setting up the pico. There are a lot of good creative setups here that can be a great source of inspiration.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my pico is going to be cycled before the cycling section is done. :mellow:

But seriously, what is the time frame on cycling? I used live rock from an established system and live sand. Already got tube worms and other goobers hovering about.

Normal cycling is a few weeks, it is possible though that your tank could have a quicker cycle due to the LR and LS coming from a established tank. Check your param's and if it all looks good, wait another week just to be sure. :).

When in doubt, wait it out!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if your guide covers it, but might help some reefers, using too much milliput at once can do massive damage in a pico...As i found out over the weekend. Lost a monti and most of a hysterix frag :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

El Fabuloso I am eagerly waiting to read the rest of this step by step process, I have went and bought everything except the live rock and chaeto, because I wanna make sure I do it all right.... Do you know when you will be finishing this? Thanks, and your pico is absoulutely beautiful

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting a 3g and im looking to for some good lights but I cant find a good 12" one. The 36W Current Dual Satellite thats recommended in the lightings section isn't being made anymore can someone recommend a good fixture.

I'm starting a 3g and im looking to for some good lights but I cant find a good 12" one. The 36W Current Dual Satellite thats recommended in the lightings section isn't being made anymore can someone recommend a good fixture.

I bought the single satellite version in the hopes that I can mod it the way evilc66 did with LEDs (only thing holding me back right now is $$$ and finding a heatsink that fits), if I don't come across some other LED setup I prefer.

The fixture Nanobuds linked looks pretty nice, and bulbs ought to be pretty widely available, it almost splits the difference between the single Satellite and dual Satellite in terms of wattage, as for PAR, it OUGHT to be better than the single.

Edited by gregzbobo
  • 4 weeks later...
No. He has put up all the info you need. This is just a guide

Uh, yeah I know. He has yet to complete the guide. Wondering if he intends to or not...hence the question.

He has Cycling listed for a section, but has not done it, and he mentioned to me once about putting in some info on setting up an ATO for these tanks.

Sometimes life precludes some of the fun stuff, I totally understand his not having completely finished it yet, but I'm sure he'll work on it when the time is available to him.

ok i will help him with it

leave your tank for at least 2 weeks

before adding anything test your water

are the parameters zero?

change half of the water out with fresh water.

add your corals.

bewary of adding fish.

ok i will help him with it

leave your tank for at least 2 weeks

before adding anything test your water

are the parameters zero?

change half of the water out with fresh water.

add your corals.

bewary of adding fish.

Yeah I know how to let a tank cycle...just wondering about the guide. Thanks anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
bwoodward0012

awesome thread!!! really helpful, wish i had found this (the site as a whole) before i set mine up. Just set up a jbj 3gal pico with the stock lighting and filter, 3.5 lbs of live rock and 7 lbs of live sand. Definately gonna look for an ac50 or 70 this evening and into better lighting this weekend. Any suggestions for inexpensive lighting for this setup? Thanks for any help.

bwoodward0012
:( I see no one has posted on here in quit a while (besides myself) but if someone happens to check see this could you tell me where i can get a 12" current sattelite or another light that is comparrible? I was stoked to see that they were only around $40-50, but then i realized every site says they are on back order or discontinued. Please help!