Pod Your Reef

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, my book has hidden itself very well, so I can't give you much, but... One name I remember is Swiftia torreyi. A different gorg was informally called a pink candelabrum gorgonian, but I don't remember the latin name.

omgomgomg

Haven't seen it since, so.... I don't know what that means. Something may or may not have happened to it... I guess.

Well, I got a nice surprise today... the snailfish came out! :) It's the first time I've seen him since I put him in almost three weeks ago! Not only did he come out - he ate like a pig, and he looks as if he's been eating this whole time - not skinny at all. He's actually adorable, the way he swims around. He's really fat and awkward, and he flaps his itty bitty pectoral fins really fast, and sort of waggles as he swims - like a clownfish, but much cuter. :wub: I don't think he can see very well either, which makes him even cuter! He eats mysis that I put right in front of his face, then goes of biting anything and everything in his path, primarily the rocks. It's really funny to watch. He actually really reminds me of those electric fish in the amazon - the way he looks and the way he swims. He puts his ginormous head right down on the bottom, and moves it around as he swims, almost like he's scanning for something. Funny... I wonder if these guy's have any sort of electric field adaptations, or if I'm imagining things. Probably the second, because I'm prone to that, but either way, he's a pretty awesome fish. And, no pics because the lights went out while I was feeding him, so I guess I'll try to get some next time he comes out.

Yeah, so... I'm at the beach again, and right when I get here my dad is like, "Oh, there was some drama in your tank just before we left." And he goes on to tell me that he noticed one of my anemones had a large fish tail sticking out of it's mouth, and that the hermit crabs were picking at it, and my sculpin was occasionally darting in and ripping off a chunk. He said he thinks the tail was the snailfish, but it was hard to tell - both the sculpin and the larger prickleback were out, so it couldn't have been them, and it didn't look the right shape for the smaller prickleback. He said the anemone was too small to have eaten the whole fish, so that means that most of it is still floating around the tank. I am, however, at the beach, and can do do nothing about it. We're going back this afternoon, and I'm hoping that I won't be returning to a tank full of ammonia soup! :(

Aside, from that, the beach is nice. There aren't any very low tides (+1.4 is the low today), but I'm gonna go exploring anyways - I'll let you guys know if I find anything interesting.

Actually, yesterday we went for a walk, and there were quite a few ctenophores washed up on the beach like perfect little jewels. (I took pics, but I accidentally used RAW, and all I have is the trial version of photomatix) I think they were still alive, as I've found them this way before and put them in a water bottle to see their little cilia still going strong. I didn't have my bucket with me, so I didn't take any, but if I see more I might take a couple just for fun.

Yeah, so... I'm at the beach again, and right when I get here my dad is like, "Oh, there was some drama in your tank just before we left." And he goes on to tell me that he noticed one of my anemones had a large fish tail sticking out of it's mouth, and that the hermit crabs were picking at it, and my sculpin was occasionally darting in and ripping off a chunk. He said he thinks the tail was the snailfish, but it was hard to tell - both the sculpin and the larger prickleback were out, so it couldn't have been them, and it didn't look the right shape for the smaller prickleback. He said the anemone was too small to have eaten the whole fish, so that means that most of it is still floating around the tank. I am, however, at the beach, and can do do nothing about it. We're going back this afternoon, and I'm hoping that I won't be returning to a tank full of ammonia soup! :(

Aside, from that, the beach is nice. There aren't any very low tides (+1.4 is the low today), but I'm gonna go exploring anyways - I'll let you guys know if I find anything interesting.

Actually, yesterday we went for a walk, and there were quite a few ctenophores washed up on the beach like perfect little jewels. (I took pics, but I accidentally used RAW, and all I have is the trial version of photomatix) I think they were still alive, as I've found them this way before and put them in a water bottle to see their little cilia still going strong. I didn't have my bucket with me, so I didn't take any, but if I see more I might take a couple just for fun.

gees! i wish i could go to the beach practically every week. i'm sure the tank will be okay - you've got enough stuff in there to go through a decent sized fish if/when needed :)

and why do you need photomatix for the raw files?? whatever software came with the camera will process raw files.

The more I read about coldwater tanks the more I think I need to make a trip to BC this summer ;) Hmm kelp bed anyone?

omgomgomg

gees! i wish i could go to the beach practically every week. i'm sure the tank will be okay - you've got enough stuff in there to go through a decent sized fish if/when needed :)

and why do you need photomatix for the raw files?? whatever software came with the camera will process raw files.

software came with the camera? Sorry, noob to RAW here. When I open the pictures on the computer it uses photomatix to open them. That's all I can tell you. :huh: And I haven't tried downloading the pics onto the computer (It's pretty old so I don't know if it could handle it - but I have no idea if it could actually cause a problem or not) - I've just been opening them while they're still on the card, processing them like I would an HDR in photomatix, then saving them to the comp as .jpg. Am I doing this totally wrong? Anyways, here's how they're coming out:

giant stump

DSC_0745_tonemapped.jpg

shell - came out kind of dark - for some reason it didn't get watermarked

DSC_0721_tonemapped.jpg

other angle stump

DSC_0752_tonemapped.jpg

oh, and yeah, the tank was fine - just a little algae on the glass. The spine with skull attached was still floating around though. Kind of creepy. :o

The nikon didnt come with some kind of photo editing software...that you probably didn't install on your computer? That software would have the ability to process your RAW files, without the goofy Photomatix symbols everywhere. Otherwise, great shots :)

• 3 weeks later...

nothing. I am currently being destroyed by english papers, science fair, history essay etc. Discussion for science fair was seven pages and I didn't really finish it, it just sort of peters out, so that needs work. Not to mention making the board. I was up till three. I also have a 20 page english paper to write (working on that now), that's due next week, and an essay on the depression due the same day. -_-

Tank-wise, everything is good. I need to get pics of me holding my fish - especially the prickleback. He can't swim very well, so he climbs into my hand and I zoom him around the tank after mysis shrimp. It's awesome.

Otherwise everythings about the same. I won't have time to take pictures till the end of spring break, soo, sorry about that.

omg pictures!!! omgomgomg

but first tank news. I cleaned out my filter and found inside it, low and behold, the nem I got from the doctors that had been missing for months. :huh: I have no idea how it got in there it's way to big to have gone through the inflow (it has a guard thing over it) which means it must have gone through the outflow tube, which is still half the diameter of the anemone. there were also a few strawberries in it, but that's less confusing.

Everything's pretty much the same, strawberries have been multiplying. The original two orange ones are now five. I'm not counting the others, but there are definitely more. :D

anyways, pics:

can your tropical fish do this?

DSC_0837.jpg

or this?

DSC_0829.jpg

(don't worry, he's amphibious, air is not a problem)

a portrait of Jim (yes, that is his name now)

DSC_0857-1.jpg

berries

DSC_0867.jpg

DSC_0871.jpg

sculpin

DSC_0873-1.jpg

elegant

DSC_0872.jpg

Oh wow, those first two pics are awesome! Amazing how friendly he is. :)

And those berries....... :wub:

I know, he acts more like a snake (but cuter, and less predatory) than a fish. :)

And about the berries... Do I even need to say it?

yes. Get a coldwater tank. now.

:P

Jamie, you really need to get some video of the gunnel tricks. Really.

haha, ok. Spring break is a week away, so I'll have some free time for photography/videography coming up. :)

omg, is he eating in that second pic where your holding him?

that is crazy

yessir. B)

Jamie i am starting a 20g cold water tank and i would like to know where do you get your livestock? I would be very willing to buy from you if you collect locally

And about the berries... Do I even need to say it?

yes. Get a coldwater tank. now.

:P

Just finished setting up the tropical 40br...... coldwater tank shall be next. B)

Archived