Cultivated Reef

Aquascape Idea based on sunken ships

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist

After watching a show on the sinking of old ships (include decommission aircraft carriers) it gave me an interesting idea. A lot of people attempt to recreate the look of a certain biotope or natural formations; others go with the dreaded "rock wall." However, how do ya'll think a nano would look with LR that is scaped in the shape of a sunken ship? You'd go from bow to steer as you went left to right, and using something like the Titanic (the most infamous of sunken ships) you could actually get an interesting look. I've got the upgrade tank nearly ready for water (and the stand is almost ready as well), so I'm contemplating the rock work and might give this a shot.

Thoughts?

Normally, I would avoid putting synthetic decorations in a reef tank, but this sounds interesting. However, instead of a complete ship, you could try to have a section of a shipwreck (such as a bow coming "through" the back wall). You could add lots of holes and openings for corals or cave animals.

I was about to do this, but decided to just go for a full reef look.

I was going to buy a ship that was split in 2 and have maximum scaping in the back and minimal height in the front. The ship cost about 100$ if I remember... so I just bought LR instead.

This would look great with fine sand, grass plants and thin branch like rock.

Buy a ship vs making one, your overall look would be much better!

Militant Jurist
so are you thinking of constructing a ship out of aragocrete?

However, how do ya'll think a nano would look with LR that is scaped in the shape of a sunken ship?

So not so much of a DIY build, just a judicious purchasing of LR to get the shape desired!

I'm glad everyone so far is liking the idea. I'm actually thinking of going all natural (so no decorations) just using live rock alone. The rock I already have in my 10g has some of the shape already going of the bow and aft sections, and I just gave me the idea of filling in the gaps! To give more real estate for coral, I'm liking the idea that was mentioned about a ship split in two, but doing it the all natural way! ;)

There is a place near me that had a submarine resting on 2 rocks in their coral display tank that was eventually so overgrown with GSP that it looked like a weiner. LOL

Militant Jurist

Wow, that's awful.

If I go for this design, I'd avoid that problem though, since I will not be using ornaments. This is still a LR tank.

I like the idea of a ship shape though, especally appealing is the idea of having a hollow area inside.

Some branching coral LR would make a good bow for it.

I see it as a bow shape rising out of the sand, that would be cool. Though the broken in half idea is good too.

Militant Jurist

I'm thinking that I could use LR pieces to put together with glue an aft section that is hollowed out (sort of a cave of sorts) and then have the bow section solid sort of rising out of the sand. I've actually got a piece of coral in my 10g that is covered with RDE zoas that looks kind of like an anchor/albatross of the ship.

just a thought - the cool thing about diving a wreck is the creepiness factor of it. The boat is bigger than you, and it looks spooky. At least that is the thrill I get from it. (In Stuart there is the house of refuge with a sunken ship, all broke into a bunch of parts, still has a skeleton..spooky.) When you do it in a small tank it doesn't come out right, maybe a larger tank with eels would help boost the creepy feeling make it more like an underwater wreck scene. Sounds cool if you can find a good ship, may a sailboat with a cloth mast would look better than a plastic one.

Archived