Coral Vue Hydros

Feeding Time

Purple_urchin

Purple_urchin

First I would like to say hello to everyone here, since I am new to this site. I am also new to the hobby. I set up my first sw tank about a month ago. I have a 3 gallon picotope. I have an electric blue hermit crab,blue leg hermit, white spot anemone shrimp,ghost shrimp,2 nassarius,1astrea,1 turbo and a stromatella that hitched a ride. I have been feeding a couple pellets of krill a day to supplement the inverts.The past couple weeks I have had a small hair algae outbreak. My question is this: Do I need to feed my inverts that often or is there enough stuff in the tank for them to eat. Oh and btw along with the hair algae came a horde of pods. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:welcome: to nano-reef.com

Looks like you have a nice selection of inverts. You will need to feed them (mainly the shrimp/hermits), but try to lower your amount of food. Regular water changes should also stop a hair algae epidemic. One of the beneficial things about hair algae is that it is like pod heaven.

Purple_urchin
:welcome: to nano-reef.com

Looks like you have a nice selection of inverts. You will need to feed them (mainly the shrimp/hermits), but try to lower your amount of food. Regular water changes should also stop a hair algae epidemic. One of the beneficial things about hair algae is that it is like pod heaven.

Thank you for the warm welcome. So, do you think the hair algae outbreak was from overfeeding? Also would the lack of flow have something to do with it? I'm just using the stock components. I think its a 40 gph.

What is your water source?

A little hair algae isn't that bad, if you can control it. You could add a small aquaclear filter (without any filter media) as a DIY refugium, which would add some water movement. However, the main benefit of the refugium would be to add macroalgae such as chaetomorpha, which would compete against the hair algae for nutrients. In the end, the most effective species against hair algae is Homo sapiens (you).

Purple_urchin
What is your water source?

A little hair algae isn't that bad, if you can control it. You could add a small aquaclear filter (without any filter media) as a DIY refugium, which would add some water movement. However, the main benefit of the refugium would be to add macroalgae such as chaetomorpha, which would compete against the hair algae for nutrients. In the end, the most effective species against hair algae is Homo sapiens (you).

The hair algae isnt very bad. The guy at the lfs just gave me the impression that I was overfeeding the inverts. I am just very very new to this so I kinda panicked. thank you for listening. :D

Archived