Cultivated Reef

The Soft Cycle thread

Greenstar

Though not commonly used, a product like API's Ammo Lock (there are others) is an alternative to doing everything with water changes I think.  I'd do some reading up on experiences with it....but that IS it's intended use.

Seems contrary to need it, but one of the instant-bacteria products (eg Marineland, Dr Tims, etc) could also help.

Sounds like there's a ton of die-off for some reason....weird since the rock appears to be really clean.  

Any signs of algae (or anything) growing?  Algae would be more ideal to see than a bacteria bloom, IMO....both will handle the excess ammonia once they get established.

I started dosing with Prime (1ml) during waterchanges, the SeaChem Ammobadge reads between safe and alert (0.02ppm - 0.05ppm). I am continuing to do daily to twice daily water changes (~4gallons each) to keep the total ammonia level below 1ppm as read by API. The good news is the ammonia level don't seem to be spiking above 1ppm anymore but they are quick to return to that level after a water change.

I might get some bottled bacteria this afternoon when I get more RO/DI water.

All I can think is that was something large deep in one of the rocks that died. If so it concerns me that I'll be fighting this battle for quite some time. No nasty smells or discolored water the animals still seem happy feather dusters opening, tunicates siphoning, starlet coral polyps opening etc., possible because the Prime is detoxifying the ammonia.

As far as algae growth, almost all the coralline has bleached but spots of purple are returning on some portions, there is some algae growing on the tops of some of the rocks, I can increase the light to encourage that.

• Like 1

Thank you, my ammonia is now below 0.25 on the API test and "safe" on the AmmoBadge without dosing Prime or doing water changes for 5 days. I'm am now getting a diatom bloom with a mix of bryopsis and other macros so I have added 2 Astrea snails and an emerald crab.

Thanks for talking me through the ammonia spike I experienced!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MrMatt said:

I'm am now getting a diatom bloom with a mix of bryopsis and other macros so I have added 2 Astrea snails and an emerald crab.

Great news!

If any of the green algae has grown long, you'll probably have to remove it by hand....snails can really only eat tiny new algae sprouts, and most other critters are wishy-washy in their desire to eat algae.  That leaves you to do the deed in these cases.  👍